Chapter VIII

Love Me Tender (or Simply Love Me At All)

            Sehun bounded into the forest to meet Baekhyun for lunch. He had taken some food from the main square to eat once he got to the space where he and Baekhyun often played. Chanyeol had accompanied him to the main area and then respectfully let Sehun go as he went to sit with his friends from his previous pack.

            “Sehun!” Baekhyun greeted, wrapping his pup in a hug. Sehun gave a one-armed response to the affection, and felt his cheeks heat up in embarrassment.

            “Hey Baekhyun! Let’s sit and eat first before talking too much, I’m starving.” Sehun complained, feeling his stomach rumble.

            After they finished eating the food Sehun had brought with him, Baekhyun seemed to be bursting at the seams trying to hold in his excitement to chat with Sehun.

            “What is it you seem so excited to tell me?” Sehun asked, eyeing Baekhyun warily.His parental figure was always excited but he seemed a little different this time, there was something more personal about the look Baekhyun gave him.

            “I plan to mate with Jongdae!” Baekhyun shouted, a smile breaking out on his face. Sehun felt his stomach lurch in a sickening way. Sehun did not like the idea of mating, it seemed rough, somewhat oppressive, gross, and overall unappealing.

            “Why do you look so upset about it? It’s a really big step to take especially so soon but I’m not getting any younger, and he’s really great! You should be happy for me.” Baekhyun tried to convince Sehun. Sehun was not buying it.

            “It’s just mating seems so… intrusive.” Sehun said quietly. Baekhyun started to laugh, holding his stomach. He then gave Sehun a knowing slightly condescending look.

            “Well that’s kind of the point. To be intrusive.”

            Sehun frowned at the joke.

            “How can you be so nonchalant about this?” Sehun shuddered trying not to imagine Baekhyun doing ual things with Jongdae. “I barely even know Jongdae it just feels weird.”

            “Well you’ll get to know him! In fact, why don’t the four of us eat together tonight separately from everyone else? That would be fun.” Baekhyun suggested, looking carefully at Sehun for his response.

            “Four? Wouldn’t there only be thr- Oh right... Chanyeol…” Sehun sighed. He supposed it might be fun to get to know Jongdae but he wasn't sure he wanted to spend extended time with Chanyeol.

            “You are so cruel to him! I mean the poor kid is head over heels for you and you barely give him the time of day.” Baekhyun sighed. “Anyway, I wanted to let you know about my plans with Jongdae for another reason. I should be going into heat soon, and I'm guessing that means you probably will too. Oh, when I go into heat I recommend you don’t come visit Jongdae and I in our tent. You probably won't like what you'd see.” Baekhyun giggled like a young girl.

            “Ew, gross. I won’t visit, I promise. And wait, what do you mean I should start my heat soon? I haven’t had one before, why would I get one now?” Sehun asked, genuinely confused.

            “Well a couple years after you become an adult, which you just recently became, heats come regularly. That's what happened to me, and sidenote a heat without a partner is hell. With you though, you got a partner before you got to the natural development part, so your heat will be spurred on by your proximity to Chanyeol.” Baekhyun explained much too calmly for Sehun’s preference.

            “So you’re telling me… I’m going to go into heat… because of Chanyeol.” Sehun’s mind was whirling; this information was new and overwhelming. He was getting flashbacks of that class he had to take as a pup about the Omega body and all its mysteries and changes.

            “Well, yes. Mine will probably come faster than yours because I’m older and my body is more ‘ready’ I guess. But then again, you’re young so maybe your body will jump at the chance! It’s nothing to freak out about, it’s natural!” Baekhyun patted Sehun on the back parentally, as though nothing he was saying were unusual. Sehun was mostly just shocked that Baekhyun couldn't see how uncomfortable Sehun was about this whole thing.

            “In heat, I don’t have to… do anything with him, right? Like I can just ignore it?” Sehun felt panicky and kind of sweaty and he did not like it. It was as though his mind decided to go into heat right there. He knew it was just his mind playing tricks on him but it definitely did not make him feel better.

            “Hey, relax okay? It’s alright. Technically speaking, that’s true. You don’t have to have with him if you can resist the temptation to. I must say though, it will be extremely difficult to resist any Alpha, especially Chanyeol since he's your potential mate. He’ll be affected too, it’s not a one-sided thing.” Baekhyun rubbed Sehun’s back comfortingly.

            “Look, let’s not worry too much about it and have a good dinner tonight. I’m sure Yixing can answer a lot of your questions too if I’m not available.” Baekhyun winked at that, Sehun felt like barfing.

 

            Right before sunset, Sehun found himself sitting in a different place in the woods, sitting next to Chanyeol and across from Baekhyun and Jongdae. He barely remembered the rest of the day, although he was pretty sure after all the emotional excitement with Baekhyun he silently and contemplatively went back to his tent and slept. Even when Chanyeol came in, he pretended to continue to be asleep because he couldn’t really handle looking at him.  He kept thinking weird, embarrassing, and slightly naughty thoughts. And now he was here, right next to him.

            “Baekhyun, you're hilarious! Anyway, it really is nice to see you again Jongdae! I haven’t seen much of you since our pack joined up with this one. I’m supposing you’ve been busy with Baekhyun, huh?” Chanyeol asked, being perfectly social. Sehun grimaced as he realized how much he liked Chanyeol’s voice. He had a vague thought of wanting to hear Chanyeol say his name, but shook the thought away quickly.

            “Yeah, Baekhyun’s keeping me on my toes for sure.” He let out a big laugh before continuing, “We talked today though, and apparently we’re about to be even busier.” He winked, and Baekhyun blushed looking away shyly. Chanyeol’s eyes threatened to bug out of his head.

            “Wow! Already? You guys are moving quite quickly. That’s great though. Are you going to do the mating ceremony first?” Chanyeol asked. Sehun hated that he was so good at socialization. It was never Sehun’s strong point, and he appreciated that Chanyeol was good at doing all the talking, but also hated it because he was trying really hard not to be close to Chanyeol. The further he was from Chanyeol, the longer it would take for his heat to kick in.

            “Well actually I have to get through my heat first, then we’ll do the ceremony. You do know how Omegas function, right Chanyeol?” Baekhyun questioned, concerned that based on what he had just said Chanyeol may not know how to care for Sehun.

            “I know the basics… We didn’t have extensive education in our old pack. Most of the information we got was from pack Omegas, or rather people who had just come from visiting the pack Omegas, so most of the information was ual.” Chanyeol admitted shyly. Jongdae nodded in agreement.

            “You had to explain everything to me, babe, Chanyeol’s basically the same. We were never taught much except fighting.” Jongdae admitted. Jongdae and Chanyeol had been mostly looking at each other while speaking, and then turned to see two very shocked faces.

            “Did you just say pack Omega?” Sehun choked out, feeling slightly suffocated. Chanyeol felt the blood rush from his face. He hadn’t thought about how awful that must sound to these people who have only known their more equal lives. He hopes that Sehun doesn’t get any wild ideas.

            “Well, yes. The pack we used to be a part of had pack Omegas.” Chanyeol said carefully.

            “But your pack didn’t have any Omegas, I thought.” Sehun added, remembering Luhan, and motioning to Jongdae.

            “Oh no no no! That pack was actually not a real pack, er it was a real pack but not like this one. We had just escaped from the pack that had pack Omegas, and we were on our own. We were a makeshift pack really, just trying to survive together until we found somewhere to fit in.” Chanyeol explained, realizing that there was so much he had not told Sehun.

            “You didn’t tell me that your old pack had pack Omegas!” Baekhyun was looking at Jongdae now.

            “Well I had mostly forgotten. I never visited them, and I try not to think back to that pack much, you know that.” Jongdae admits. Baekhyun nods slowly, mostly content to know that Jongdae had never visited the pack Omegas.

            “You had to escape your old pack?” Sehun asked, feeling guilty he had never tried to get to know more about Chanyeol’s past. It was obvious that Baekhyun knew lots about Jongdae's story, and Sehun was noticing the differences in their levels of relationship.

            “It’s a long story, and we’ll have to discuss it later, but yes. We escaped our old pack and then my pack wandered around until we met the Alpha that’s here.” Chanyeol was trying to shut down this topic because it was making it obvious to Baekhyun and Jongdae how little he and Sehun actually interacted.

            “You were a pack Alpha?” Sehun was gaping at this point, shocked to learn about Chanyeol’s past. He barely thought of Chanyeol as an Alpha to begin with, and now he learns that Chanyeol was in charge of a whole pack?

            “Yes, look, we’ll go over how I got here later. I'm sure Baekhyun and Jongdae have other things they wanna talk about.” Chanyeol laughed lightly to cover how awkward he felt. Sehun went back to his mostly silent self, reflecting on all he had learned.

            “Anyway, the reason we have to wait on the mating ceremony is because after you meet your mate, a heat will kick in pretty quickly, and I can already tell mine is coming.” Baekhyun changed the subject quickly, feeling the need to educate Chanyeol since he would have to know this information for Sehun’s sake. He also could feel himself started to heat up a bit and he was worried he wouldn’t be able to answer questions for much longer.

            “And all Omegas do this?” Chanyeol asked, obviously meaning Sehun, but Sehun was not really paying attention to the slightly embarrassing conversation. He was still thinking about everything Chanyeol had said. He also realized he had never asked if Chanyeol had visited the pack Omegas. Sehun felt his stomach flip as he wondered if Chanyeol would be the type. Surely not, right?

            “Yes, all Omegas. Also, in case you’re unaware, an Omega in heat must have given consent before and during the heat to have in order for it to pass the Alpha’s rules on consensual .” Baekhyun explained feeling uncomfortably hot. He remembered telling Jongdae all of this as well, so then his thoughts were on Jongdae, and Baekhyun was hyperaware of his arms around him and he leaned into Jongdae's grasp.

            Chanyeol, on the other hand, was an involved student, his face contorted as he took in all the information given to him in earnest.

            “Is there anything else I need to know? I don’t want to do anything wrong, since I’m guessing Sehun might start soon.” Chanyeol said shyly. Sehun’s ears perked as he finally heard Chanyeol say his name. More than that happened though, it was though the sound sent a spark through his body starting at his ears and ending somewhere in his stomach.

            “Um… I can’t think of much else right now, or much of anything actually. Jongdae, I think we need to go.” Baekhyun was practically laying on Jongdae, and Jongdae had noticed the change in Baekhyun’s scent. Chanyeol was the last of the three to pick up on it mostly because he had not been paying as much attention as the other two.

            “Your scent…” Chanyeol commented. Baekhyun smiled weakly before he caught a whiff of something that wasn’t his or Jongdae’s arousal. There was a weak scent of ual interest coming from Chanyeol that he likely didn’t know he was giving off, but there was also something else. Baekhyun made brief eye contact with Sehun and understood.

            “Good luck Sehun.” Baekhyun said before waving giddily at the pair. He and Jongdae hurried to get back to their tent, giggling and nuzzling at each other the whole way back.

            Chanyeol turned his attention to the Omega sitting on his left.

            “Now I guess we can talk, Sehun. That is, if you’ll actually talk to me and if you will let me talk to you.” Chanyeol said, and it came out more harshly than he meant it. It was getting really frustrating to not be able to speak with the one who was making his heart do all kinds of crazy drum patterns all the time. He just wanted to hear his laugh, his voice, to see his smile, his joy. Sehun visibly flinched at Chanyeol's words, knowing full well that this was his fault. He also had felt the same shock go through him once again when Chanyeol said his name. His stomach was doing all kinds of odd acrobatics from guilt and this new shocking feeling.

            “I’m sorry.” Sehun said earnestly, not knowing what else to say. “I’m sorry. I’m really sorry. I just-I’m sorry.” He felt really overwhelmed at the moment, surprisingly not tired, but rather like he was drowning. There was just so much happening at one time, so many emotions and so much information, and he didn’t like it.

            “Hey, stop apologizing. I accept your apology and I apologize as well, since the fact that we’re still basically strangers is partly my fault.” Chanyeol looked directly at Sehun, but Sehun was avoiding his gaze. As an Alpha, the lack of direct eye contact while they were fighting was frustrating, but Chanyeol was just glad Sehun was talking at all. Sehun on the other hand was dealing with a whole new feeling, the feeling that he wanted to obey Chanyeol’s command. He had felt a sense of obligation with the Alpha of the pack, but this was different. Chanyeol said “stop apologizing” and Sehun felt himself immediately stop and felt a sense of pride that he had obeyed Chanyeol. It was like a glowing feeling that he was being obedient. 

            “Did you… Did you ever visit the pack Omegas?” Sehun asked randomly, aware that he was not following any kind of normal conversation pattern. Chanyeol cocked his head in curiosity. It was interesting question to hear from Sehun. Chanyeol took it to mean Sehun was worried Chanyeol had ual experience that Sehun would not have, and even let himself think Sehun might be jealous.

            “No, I did not ever visit them for ual reasons. I did occasionally bring them food or water though, that was one of my jobs. It was considered an undesirable job, to have to serve the lowest of our pack, so they gave it to me.” Chanyeol decided now was as good a time as any to start revealing parts of his story and he hoped then that Sehun would reveal parts of his. Sehun looked up to make eye contact with Chanyeol, and he felt a wave of heat come over him similarly to how he was used to waves of nausea.

            Chanyeol saw a small spark in Sehun’s eyes when they finally made contact with his, but chalked it up to the fact that he hadn’t made much eye contact with Sehun in the past few days.

            “Keep going.” Sehun prompted, curious to hear more of Chanyeol’s story, and also more of his voice. Chanyeol took a deep breath before continuing.

            “The pack Alpha was threatened by me, knew that I was the one who could possibly take over his position as pack Alpha, so he wanted to make sure I never thought I could do that. I was given the most undesirable jobs as seen by the others, ones like taking care of the pack Omegas, cleaning up battlefields, and upkeep of the pack Alpha’s rugs. People were allowed to take swings at me whenever they felt like it, I was the pack punching bag. I also had few friends considering the size of the pack. It was always just me, Jongdae, Luhan, Xiumin, and Tao.” Chanyeol continued. While he had spoken, Sehun felt himself getting unconsciously closer to Chanyeol, gravitating to his warmth and voice. Chanyeol hadn’t realized while he was talking, but now he could feel Sehun’s every breath as it landed on his face.

            “Sehun?” Chanyeol questioned, confused by Sehun’s sudden actions. He then saw Sehun visibly shudder. Sehun was embarrassed by how affected he was by Chanyeol simply saying his name. He blamed that deep river voice that made the drowning feel more like swimming. In the back of his mind he knew this was a terrible idea and he wasn’t acting like himself, but the only thing on the front of his mind was how soft Chanyeol’s lips looked.

            He felt Chanyeol’s lips on his own before he even processed that he had made that move forward. Chanyeol was shocked, but not unpleased with the way things were going. Plus there was a delicious scent in the air that put him at ease, and made thinking a bit harder. Being the Alpha that he was, his instincts kicked in since his brain was moving slowly. His hands placed themselves; one on Sehun’s shoulder, and the other on the back of his neck. Chanyeol loved the feeling of Sehun's skin, and he weaved his fingers through the hair on his nape. He then pressed them together to add pressure to the kiss and began to take control.

            Sehun felt like putty in his grasp, and loved the electric feeling of the pressure and movement of Chanyeol’s lips on his own. It felt right, but he also could feel that apprehension in the back of his mind. He ignored it until he felt Chanyeol’s tongue start to enter his mouth, then as much as his body hated it, he snapped back to somewhat of his regular self. He pulled away from Chanyeol’s strong grip, and detached his mouth from Chanyeol’s. His hands had made their way to Chanyeol’s arms at some point so he moved them away.

            “.” Sehun breathed, realizing that this was most definitely his heat starting to creep up on him. It had taken Baekhyun a day or two to reach a point like this but he guessed Baekhyun’s assumption that his young body would want to jump into it had been correct. Sehun could feel his body reaching out to Chanyeol, wanting to feel the power he had just felt once again. It took all his willpower not to reach out for him again. Chanyeol let out a soft whine from being rejected, and upon hearing it he stood up from the ground and covered his face. He could not believe he just let out a whine. A whine! He felt pathetic, and was glad none of his friends were around to about how “manly their pack Alpha was now”.

            Sehun’s head had shot up at the whine sound too and a different version of the electric shot went through him only this time it ended lower than his stomach. He could feel a developing need to please. He shook his head violently to try and focus himself.

            “We need to leave.” Sehun said finally. Chanyeol nodded silently. He held out a hand to help Sehun off the ground but Sehun didn't take it. They both knew it was to avoid being tempted back into the other person. 

            

            They walked quietly and awkwardly back to the tent. Sehun doubted he or Chanyeol could control themselves while cooped up in such a small space so he figured he would go stay in the doctor’s tent until this whole "heat" thing passed. As much as his body wanted to give in to Chanyeol, his mind was not made up yet.

            “I’m going to stay in the doctor’s tent.” Sehun announced as they reached Sehun’s tent. He turned to walk away, not wanting to have to face Chanyeol. As he was walking away, Chanyeol grabbed his wrist. Sehun loved the feeling of his touch and couldn't bring himself to rip away from him.

            “Why stay away?”

            “Because," He nearly whispered, "I’m sick, Chanyeol. You don't want me.” Then he broke away from Chanyeol and ran blindly all the way to the doctor’s tent. 

 


Author's Notes: Okay finally an update I'm sorry it's taken so long I've been super busy recently ^^;; Also I haven't edited this yet so right now (as of 1/31/16) it is unedited so I should be making adjustments tomorrow. This chapter was the hardest for me to write so far and I'm thinking future ones will be easier because I think I have a better idea of where I want them to go... I guess we'll see though! Sorry to keep you waiting! I love all of you <3 thank you so much for reading, it means a lot ^^

Update: I edited it!! Lots of changes in the language and some of the positioning! Hopefully everyone enjoys ^^ (updates made on the afternoon of Feb 1st)