Chapter II

Love Me Tender (or Simply Love Me At All)

The Alpha had everyone gathered around the fire for his announcement. Winter was raging, but as promised no one had run out of food yet. The pack was humming with curiosity about what the Alpha needed to announce. Could it be that the Alpha was finally settling down with one of the Omegas of the camp? Or was he announcing that they were going to move camp? What if the food situation wasn’t as good as he had promised? The excitement continued.

“Enough!” The Alpha’s voice rang out clearly, a twinge of anger enough to silence the crowd quickly.  “I have a few announcements to make and I need everyone to listen closely.” He took a deep breath, and Sehun could see the cogs in the Alpha’s head turning furiously as he contemplated how to phrase this announcement.

“There have been reports that a new pack has entered this area. They have not yet approached our territory but they seem to be closing in. We plan to send some envoys in hopes of establishing peace rather than hostility. I call upon some of our lower-ranking Alphas, and Betas to do this mission as to appear non-threatening, yet able to defend themselves. Onew, Amber, Jungkook, you will be in charge of the first mission with me. Report to my tent immediately.” The Alpha quickly disappeared back into his private quarters. The crowd was numbingly quiet. The Alpha had seemed so nervous, was this new pack someone to be feared? Would the four of them be okay?

“I should have been chosen.” Sehun heard a familiar voice say with frustration off to his left side. He looked over to see Kyungsoo holding a tight fist, and Jongin trying to calm him down.

“Baby, he knows we have the pups to look after, he couldn't take you away from them.” Jongin reminds him. Kyungsoo looks at him with soft eyes.

“Jungkook is so young though, he only just came of age last year. Our children will see me as a coward.” Kyungsoo looked thoroughly ashamed of himself. Jongin kissed him lovingly and with such passion Sehun felt he should look away to give them privacy, yet was also enrapturing in their love.

“Jungkook is a powerful Beta, and he will be protected by the Alpha. You need to help me protect our pups. You are not a coward, you were simply not chosen. Now get over your dumb frustration and let’s get back to the kids before they all start wailing again and the tent next to us files a complaint again.” Jongin comforts. His hands had been softly rubbing down Kyungsoo’s arms until they reached his balled fists. Natural and comforting movements allowed him to open up his tight hands and place his own inside before pulling his mate back to his tent. Sehun watched after them with jealously shooting through him like fire in his veins.

He tore his eyes away from the couple’s tent and found himself staring directly at the fire. He wonders if the Alpha had been a crueler (or perhaps more fair) Alpha, if they would have killed him by fire. If his punishment for weakening his pack would have been to die in flames. The Alpha always told him he deserved no punishment, and this was simply the way he was born, but Sehun would not have any of it. He was worthless to his pack, only a drain. All he could do is eat some of their precious food, and take up their precious space. Tears streaked down his hot face, and he ran quickly back to his tent in isolation.

He had been just calming down his terrible sobbing self-pity part when Baekhyun opened the flaps of his tent. He could sense the sadness of his friend while walking past and had to come to comfort him.

“Baekhyun, leave me alone.” Sehun said, his voice muffled by the furs he had stuck his head into.

“No, you lonely, self-loathing, annoying beast. I can’t leave you alone. So come here and snuggle with me, and cry all you want.” Baekhyun pulled the heavy Sehun into his arms, and held his head to his chest. Sehun sniffled lightly, trying to pull away from the motherly Baekhyun, but Baekhyun’s grip was tight and Sehun was tired.

“I know it’s hard to be alone, Sehun, but you don’t have to be. You make yourself so alone, but there is room for you here, there is a place for you, you have to take it.” Baekhyun comforted, trying to talk sense into his stubborn friend. Sehun’s tears had started to leave dark stains in the green tunic Baekhyun always wore. He knew how much Baekhyun loved this tunic and immediately felt guilty for soiling it with his tears. He felt he could do absolutely nothing right.

“You don’t understand Baekhyun. You don’t know. You-You’re so healthy, so perfect. I-I’ll never b-be able to be like y-you.” Sehun’s sobs were heart wrenching for the older Omega to listen to and he felt a maternal sense of protection over the poor boy.

“No one is perfect, Sehun. Each person comes with their own flaws, and their own set of issues and kinks to work out. Don’t beat yourself up over whatever has got you down. You mean something to this pack, you mean something to me.” Baekhyun was whispering, and felt a sort of calm come over him as he became the sole source of comfort for this crying pup. Thinking of Sehun as a pup stuck him with an idea that made his Omega heart race. 

“I’ve decided you are going to be my pup.” Baekhyun stated, pulling Sehun’s face up to meet his own. Sehun’s parents had dropped him off at their pack and left without a trace back when Sehun was just a baby. He had been orphaned since almost birth and the pack took him in as their responsibility. Sehun believes he was left because his parents could sense his weakness, others in the pack believe the parents simply didn’t have enough resources to care for the child. He grew up with the pack as his family, his only family, yet without any sure guidance, no mother, no father. Baekhyun had decided to fill that role.

“I’m your new parent.” Baekhyun beamed, this idea was the best one he’d had in awhile. Baekhyun himself was getting lonely at the prospect of getting older with no mate or pups, and this was the perfect solution. Sehun gave him a confused look through his teary eyes.

“You don’t want me as your kid, I promise.” He groaned as he pulled himself away from the overbearingly positive presence of Baekhyun.

“Nonsense! I love you and your stubborn attitude, and your inability to express emotion with you face, and I want you to have someone to come to when you get down like this. That person is yours truly.” Baekhyun kissed the top of Sehun’s head for comfort as he usually does, and Sehun just shook his head.

“You’re ridiculous. You can’t just adopt me.” Sehun gave Baekhyun a small smile, as though despite his words against it, he rather liked the idea.

“I will talk to the Alpha tomorrow and see what he’s got to say about it. Then you’ll be my little pup and I will be the most embarrassing parent you’ve ever dreamed of having.” Baekhyun got excited at the prospect of giving Sehun little baths in the river, or scolding him for cursing, or even watching Sehun fall in love. This was definitely the best idea he had ever had, and he could not contain his excitement. So he did the only thing he could think to do with all this excitement and tackled his (possible) soon-to-be pup with an excited shriek.