A Stolen Glance

A Stolen Glance

 

Changmin, his name just gives me goose bumps, but in a good way. I’ve always hated this guy, but as time passes, I kept on noticing all the good things about him.

When we were younger, he would always tease me and for that I would want to kill him, but now, I somehow wish that he’d still do that.

“Hey Aims, I missed math earlier. Could I borrow your notes?” he asked one Monday, and I gladly gave him my notes.

“Thanks, I can really rely on you.”

Now I’m blushing again. Good thing he’s no longer here and he couldn’t notice. Nobody really knew that I’ve been crushing on him for some time now, and I didn’t know that it would end this way. Apparently, it was just hate that turned into admiration. Seriously, I think I might even be in love with him.

We have been classmates since the fifth grade and each time I catch him staring at me, I would quickly stick my tongue out or probably give him childish threats and he’d just laugh. And now, I’m actually longing for those stares and the attention that he’s been giving me before.

How it wound up this way, I don’t know.

Things are really different now, he ended up as one of the popular kids in our school, and I on the other hand, was nothing. Just a normal girl who goes to this normal high school but is in like with someone a bit extraordinary. Pathetic right?

“Why won’t you just tell him?” Junsu asked me as we were walking to the staff room of the school paper. “You are very good with words, I’m just not sure why you’re suddenly at lost for words when it comes to Changmin. I don’t think that there’s anything special in him anyway.”

“You don’t understand.” Neither did I, apparently. Junsu was right with one thing, I don’t know what the fuss is with him, but I’m smitten, unfortunately. “You’re just as bad as Kina.” Oh yeah, Kina was my best friend who was also popular.

Before I can come inside the room, a hand touched my shoulder. I was a bit stunned when I looked at the person who was touching me, it was Changmin. “Amy… Can I talk to you… alone?” I signaled for Junsu to go in without me.

“Be quick, you know the meeting won’t start without you.”

“I know.” I waved my hand dismissively. This is one of the moments where I hate being an editor for the school paper. I followed where he was going, and when we were completely isolated, I asked him. “Well?”

“Uh… yeah. This may seem awkward…”

My heart was beating faster now, is he going to confess? Is he going to tell me that he has been admiring me since before? I’m out of air.

“Yes?” I calmly asked.

“Well.. you see…”

“Just say it.” I couldn’t hold on the suspense any longer.

“Okay… here goes. Can you…”

“Yes.” I blurted.

“You’re agreeing? Thank you! Please tell her that I’ll wait for her call.”

“Huh? Her?”

“Yeah, tell Kina if it’s okay if I ask her out for a date this Saturday, you knew that right? That’s why you said yes?”

+ + +