Birthdays

Rainbow Military Squad

Yoooo it's Yoongi's birthday so here's an update!!!! It's a bit of a filler but sssccchhh... I updated...


 

A week after Caylin, Jaehyo, and Kyung came back, Caylin had fallen sick and gotten better. The boys had taken turns taking care of her, and she seemed a little more relaxed around them.

 

The boys continued training, and Caylin started joining them. While she wasn’t allowed to move around too much, she helped Leonnie in instructing them, and showed a couple of moves every now and then.

 

Summer started to really hit, so the weather was warm. Most of them were wearing tank tops and shorts while training, and generally wind was met with cheers.

 

“Good job boys, you’re getting better!” It was Leonnie who was speaking, and more than half the boys laid down on the grass. They had been running again, and this time everyone made it around all the laps. It was truly similar to hell sometimes, with the heat and the endless running, but they could feel how they got stronger day by day.

 

“You need a break? Okay, five minutes, then we continue with fighting lessons, okay?” Scattered groans answered her, and she laughed before walking over to sit in the shade as well.

 

A water bottle appeared in front of Yoongi, who was laying on his back in the shade of the house. As he looked up, the smiling face of Jimin met his eyes.

 

“Thanks…” he mumbled as he sat up and took the bottle. Jimin sat down next to him, and opened a bottle of his own. They drank in silence.

 

“Are you busy after training?” The younger suddenly asked. Yoongi thought about it, and then shook his head.

 

“No, but I guess I’m going to be since you’re asking…” he said, smiling at Jimin. Jimin chuckled and nodded. Folding his legs to sit cross-legged, Jimin put his half-empty bottle down, and started fiddling a bit with the bottle cap.

 

“Hoseok talked to Azelia and found out that… Or well… Ah. I’ll explain it later, I don’t know how good hearing they have…” he said in a low voice, gaze flickering between Yoongi and the two girls leaning against the wall a bit further away. Caylin were staring at them, but looked away when Leonnie poked her.

 

Yoongi raised an eyebrow at the boy, but didn’t say anything more. If Jimin had said he was going to tell him later, he trusted that. There was no way the younger would leave him out of anything, especially if it was something he needed help with.

 

“The break is over, gather here please!” They both looked over at the girl, and started moving towards her.

 

“It’ll be alright Jimin, don’t worry.”

 

Gathering in a half-circle in front of Leonnie, they all listened to her instructions on how to do some defensive moves. They then got to pair up and spar against each other until they’d gotten it down. After that, she showed a more offencive move, and they got to try that. Lastly, they got to fight, very calmly and without hurting each other, using all the moves they had learned up until now.

 

After the playfighting were done, both Caylin and Leonnie commented on stances and mistakes they’d made, while always making sure to say something positive too. Then they were free to go.

 

It was almost midday, and the weather was too hot to keep working outside. Both girls adviced to train in the gym if anyone wanted to continue, but otherwise rest and something to eat would be the best option.

 

The boys split in half, one half going directly toward the gym, while the other half scattered between the dining hall and their rooms. Yoongi himself was dragged to the kitchen by an excited Jimin and an equally hyped Taehyung. Running past the double doors leading to the dining room, Yoongi noticed how one of the staffs were speaking to some of the idols while blocking the doors. The young teen dressed as a butler, looked apologetic, and loud sighs and complaints were heard from the idols.

 

The three of them turned to walk down a small corridor, and then through one of the three wooden doors at the end of it. Jimin closed the door behind them, and Yoongi took a moment to be surprised over how many people were inside the room. The kitchen was bustling with life. A slightly big woman were yelling orders left and right, and multiple people were running around to do as she said. He couldn’t even count them, they were moving too fast. He was also amazed at the grace they possessed when running past each other, squeezing past shelves, and swerving around hot pans and open ovens, all while carrying plates of things he couldn’t even name.

 

“What’s going on?” Yoongi wondered out loud, and watched as Jimin left their side to talk to the head chef.

 

“We’re arranging a party!” Taehyung answered beside him, with his signature wide grin. Yoongi was strangely enough not that surprised. He just threw the brunette a questioning gaze, and took a slightly deeper breath.

 

“Azelia told Hoseok that it’s Leonnie’s birthday today. They usually don’t celebrate it, so we thought we’d make sure they do that this year. Plus, a party is always good for morale!” He explained further, and Yoongi nodded.

 

“How old does she turn?” He asked, turning to face the other.

 

Taehyung froze, and his smile started slipping.

 

“I… I don’t know… I have to ask Hobi if he knows…” and like that, Taehyung disappeared into the crowd of chefs.

 

Standing alone by the door, Yoongi watched the delicacies being passed around until Jimin showed up beside him again. The latter took his hand and led him through the room to a door on the other side. Walking through it, they ended up in the dining room.

 

More staff were working in there, but among them Yoongi saw familiar faces. Hoseok and Taehyung stood by one of the walls, Hoseok holding a bundle of colorful paper figures. Yongguk were helping a staff member put up a big birthday banner opposite the doors, and he also spotted Taeil, Himchan, Jongup, and U-Kwon decorating the big table in the middle.

 

Jimin pulled him over to a big speaker in one of the corners. Next to it, a disgruntled looking Zico sat, scrolling on a phone. Looking up when he heard their steps, a small smile spread on his lips.

 

“Brought more music?” he asked, and Jimin looked at Yoongi.

 

“Do you have your phone on you?” Yoongi shook his head and looked between the two.

 

“The phones are more or less useless, there’s no internet…” he said slowly.

 

“Yeah, but the downloaded content you have still works. Jimin said you had a lot of downloaded songs on your phone, so I’m going to transfer it from your phone to mine, and use it to make a playlist. A birthday needs music, duh.” Zico smiled at them both with a raised eyebrow, and Yoongi sighed because he was right. But that also meant that he had to go all the way to his room to get his phone and the charger, because the piece of electronic was probably dead by now.

 

He had started it when he was given a charger by Azelia, just to check if things were working. You could still make calls, but the internet was more or less down. At least he thought it was, as he hadn’t been able to get in. Then again he wasn’t connected to any wi-fi, so maybe it worked that way. Anyway, he’d concluded that they worked for phone calls, and possibly text messages. However, he guessed since this place ran on solar panels, there wasn’t many other places with electricity, and thus there was no one he could think of contacting. He had thought of calling his parents, but if they weren’t dead, it’d be bad to cause noise and attract infected. In the end, he settled for sending a text message to his family and some of his friends. After four days of no replies, he abandoned the phone in a drawer.

 

Slipping out the double doors, Yoongi started making his way down the corridor. He slipped his hands into his pockets, and let his mind wander while walking. It wandered so much that he almost didn’t hear the voice calling for him.

 

“Yoongi!” Turning around, he was greeted with the sight of a certain red haired girl.

 

“Yeah?” While they had grown closer, she wasn’t usually the first to initiate contact, so he was a little surprised.

 

“Have you seen Leonnie? She disappeared after training…” She looked slightly lost, so it almost made him feel guilty to say no. Frowning, Caylin scratched absentmindedly on her bandaged arm. Yoongi didn’t mean to, but his hand reached for hers and gently removed it so that it couldn’t do more harm. The girl herself slightly froze at his touch, but quickly got over it.

 

“How about Jin then? Or Hoseok?” Yoongi wondered slightly why she was searching for the two of them. He hadn’t seen Jin actually, but Hoseok was in the dining hall. However, he couldn’t say that, because then she’d go there and look, which would mean she’d find out about the party. Her telling Leonnie would break the kids’ hearts, and he couldn’t have that.

 

“Haven’t seen them. Why?” Caylin squinted her eyes at him.

 

“I need to talk to them. You’re not lying to me, are you?” She sounded suspicious, and Yoongi shook his head.

 

“Why would I?” he asked, as if it were proof that he wasn’t. Again, she squinted at him.

 

“You’re plotting something, I want to know what.”

 

Yoongi swallowed nervously. He could spill the truth and beg her not to tell Leonnie, but he’d rather not discard his pride like that. He could also lie, but she’d probably see right through him and become more suspicious, and then she might tell Leonnie. On the other hand, he could tell her nothing and ask her to trust him. But he already knew that she didn’t so there was no point in that.

 

“Hey, do you mind helping me with something?” he asked instead, coming up with an idea. He’d just have to keep her away from the dining room. Before she had time to answer, Yoongi started walking up the stairs. To his relief, Caylin followed. She was a bit slow, and needed to stop for a break every now and then, but Yoongi didn’t mind her company. Even though there weren’t any conversation, the silence wasn’t awkward, which he appreciated.

 

At last they arrived at his room, and he left the door open for her to enter as well. Pulling out the drawer where he last saw his phone, he started rummaging through the other stuff in there. It was mostly stuff such as a flashlight, paper, and a couple of pens, but he also found a pair of glasses in there. Putting them on, he turned around and flashed Caylin a smile.

 

“Do I look adorable yet?” he asked, and she stared at him.

 

“You... always look... adorable?” she replied after a moment. Taehyung had been spending a lot of time with her, and somewhere along the way he decided that it was a brilliant idea to try to teach her how to flirt. She was still very bad at it.

 

“Add a ‘bunny’ at the end and Taehyung would be proud.” He smiled, and took of the glasses to put them back. Lifting some more papers, he found was he was searching for, and they left his room.

 

The two of them made their way toward the dining room, and it wasn’t until they were in front of the doors that he realized he couldn’t let her see inside.

 

“Would you please wait here?”

 

Caylin made a face at him, but as she was to tired to argue, she sat down on the floor and watched him disappear through the doors.

 

~~~~~

 

Zico was happy when he saw the library of music on Yoongi’s phone, and Yoongi didn’t mind letting him have his phone until the next day.

 

“Caylin is outside. I met her in the hallway and didn’t know what to do. I don’t think she knows we’re throwing a party, what do we do now?” Yoongi asked Jimin once they’d left Zico.

 

Jimin didn’t seem to know either, but luckily they were saved by Hoseok.

 

“We need to gather everyone but the two of them here to tell them what’s going on. It’s only a surprise for Leonnie, really. Take her with you, and tell everyone you find to get their asses here before training starts again.”

 

Said and done, Yoongi quickly got out and helped Caylin up. He briefly explained their mission to her, and then off they went.

 

~~~~~

 

They had found most of the idols during their walk, and those who weren’t informed before training, was informed now.

 

The sun was getting low, the sky was hundreds of shades of pink and blue. Second half of training were done, and while Caylin had looked at them a little extra sometimes, it didn’t seem like she had ratted them out.

 

While they’d been training, the staff was supposed to have finished the rest. Zico bolted away as soon as they were dismissed, as he had to be ready to play the first song when Leonnie got there.

 

It took both Taehyung and Jimin’s best efforts to stall them enough, because both Leonnie and Caylin were dead set on dinner. Caylin however, did play along a bit, by walking slowly. She blamed the fact that she was hurt, even though she was fine just a second before.

 

Finally, they were in front of the doors. Everybody moved to the sides so that Leonnie could open them herself, and Jin softly grabbed Caylin to stop her from doing it.

 

“You guys are so weird today…” Leonnie muttered, but still went forward to open the doors. The moment she did, balloons and confetti started raining down, and a voice in the back shouted “1, 2, 3!”

 

Then everyone started singing happy birthday. Leonnie, who was still in the middle, was stunned. It was Azelia who broke her from her trance.

 

“Happy birthday, Blue…” she said, a big smile on her face, as she walked over to give the older a hug.

 

Yoongi watched as Leonnie’s eyes glazed over with tears. She bent down to hug the child, and had soon fallen victim to the puppy pile of boys who also wanted hugs.

 

When the puppy pile finally scattered, a good five minutes after, Leonnie took the time to thank everyone individually. Both staff and idols got a hug and a ‘thank you’ each. Apparently, this was the best gift she’d ever gotten.

 

Zico started dj:ing in the background, as the rest of them started eating from the delicacies. There were at least three big cakes, and they were all delicious.

 

“We’ll have to do extra training tomorrow!” Leonnie joked, and those around her groaned.

 

~~~~~

 

The party went on, and everyone seemed to have fun. Everyone except one. While the others were dancing, there was one who sat outside, eating from a plate of cake alone. Yoongi was on his way to the toilet when he found her.

 

“Why don’t you join the party?” His eyes scanned her, to see if she was hurt, but he couldn’t see anything.

 

“I can’t do music, remember…” she said, a small smile on her face. She didn’t seem bitter exactly, but neither did she seem happy.

 

“I can ask them to turn it off if you want to?” he offered, crouching down to her level. Caylin laughed while shaking her head.

 

“I don’t mind. As long as Leonnie’s having fun I don’t mind being out here. We haven’t celebrated her birthday in God knows how long…”

 

Yoongi frowned at the thought of them not celebrating their birthdays, at all, and then a thought hit him. He couldn’t let them celebrate Leonnie, but not celebrate her.

 

“When’s your birthday then?” He took a seat against the wall to her right. She looked at him as if the answer was obvious.

 

“I don’t have one?” It took a moment for him to register what she said, but when he did the only thing he could ask was ‘why?’

 

“I was born in a military facility, I didn’t need a birthday. If anybody knows when I was born, they haven’t told me, and besides, it doesn’t matter anyway. Time was a foreign concept to me until Leonnie taught me what it was, and there’s really not much to celebrate when you’re military property.”

 

She spoke in a quite happy tone, but Yoongi was speechless. She’d really had it rough.

 

“Okay, put the plate down.” he said, and stood up. Caylin held her plate of sweets protectively while pouting at him, but he reached out his hand to show her he wanted her to get up.

 

In the end, she did as he wanted.

 

But instead of just pulling her up to stand, he pulled her closer.

 

“What are you doing?” she asked, eyebrows shooting up higher than ever.

 

“Birthday dance. You’ve never celebrated a birthday, so I’m dancing a birthday dance with you.” He offered her a smirk, and after a couple of steps she returned it.

 

“You’re giving me a chance to step on your toes…” she whispered, locking eyes with him, and as she said, stepped on his toes. She was careful, so it didn’t hurt. If anything, it made him chuckle.

 

They danced for a while, inching closer and closer to the dining room. When Yoongi heard that the song that was currently leaking through the doors ended, he twirled her around, and stepped away with a bow.

 

She seemed happy, so he was too.

 

“You want more cake?” He asked, and knew even before she lit up that the answer was going to be yes. He told her to go back and sit down, but before he slipped through the double doors he turned.

 

“Oh, and Caylin?” He waited until she turned too.


“Happy Birthday.”