Liar

Liar

Liar.

 

I only have a handful of friends. It’s been like this since I was a little girl, and only two of them really stuck with me until the end. Maybe I only wanted those two by my side. Everyone else was optional. I was fine with the turn out of my social life, but those two never really understood me in that aspect. They’d always say the same things, trying to give a little shove into the ‘make-more-friends’ direction. It was the same every time.

 

“Hey, why not join a club? Meet some new people.”

 

I’d never really listen even if I answered the same every time, “I’ll think about it.”

 

“Cool.”

 

The conversations never last very long. They’d give me the suggestion and I’d give them an answer that didn’t let them down nor hold any promises. The frequency of the suggestion is dropping by the years, so I’m taking it that they got the message. My life was peaceful and I liked it that way. There was no excessiveness in any way. I had just he right amount of friends. I had just the right amount classmates. There was nothing that bothered me. I decided to keep it that way until I graduate. But, then you came along.

 

“Quiet everyone, we have a transfer student from Canada. Get along alright?”

 

Son Seungwan, but you preferred to be called Wendy since you were used to it from home. I didn’t pay much attention to your introduction after that. I never intended on talking to you anyway. I looked out the window as usual, and I remember how sunny of a day it was. You happened to take the empty seat next to me. It had been empty for a semester or so. It was the usual greeting between new classmates. I gave a little smile and you gave a grin. We never talked.

 

Popularity followed you close, as I saw you around the school with a flock of people. You’d always be the center of the flock with the biggest smile and the heartiest laugh. People loved you and you loved people. It was instinct for you to approach people and accept people. It didn’t matter how many people wanted to be your friend, you’d always handle them with care and with respect. I don’t think I’d ever be able to handle that kind of life, so noisy. It was confirmed by then that we’d never cross paths. The life you led differed so much from mine. We seek different things.

 

“Hey, Joohyun-sshi.”

 

“Yes?”

 

Our paths would never cross. Our paths should’ve never crossed. But it crossed, and you approached me with the biggest smile. You strung the most basic words into a phrase that was so simple yet I have never felt so much warmth in my chest.

 

“Wanna hang out?”

 

It came out so fast, so naturally. There was no hesitation, as I looked into your charming eyes. “Sure.”

 

It became too obvious how different we were as we began to hang out more. You’d show me around the city I had been raised in. You knew more about my city than I did. It must be due to your social tendencies. You must’ve hung out a lot with all kinds of people before you spoke to me. Instead of going home to study straight away, you must’ve stayed behind and ate with your classmates or gone shopping with some friends. You must’ve taken good care of everyone like how you have towards me.

 

It was my first time being walked home. You day it's dangerous to go home alone. I couldn’t think of a good counter argument. And, even though I acted as if I were against the idea, I hoped somewhere in the depth of my heart that it’d continue to happen.

 

“Let's hang out again.”

 

“Sure.”

 

You were always smiling, always ready to give a helping hand and always considerate. You were so many things I never was. I was happy when you approached me. I can’t deny that. But a social butterfly like you would approach anyone right? I’m nothing special. I’m just like every other person you talk to.

 

You’re the one who made me dream more. You’re the one who made me delusional. And, you’re the one who made my heart pound and my cheeks flush. The more time we spent together, the harder it became to look you in the eye. Every time you smile at me I’d wish time would stop and capture such a mesmerizing moment. But, I’m just another person you talk to right?

 

“You’re spacing out again.”

 

“Sorry…”

 

“Is something bothering you?”

 

You’d pick up on my mood and you'd tread carefully when I was sensitive. You knew I love purple so you would give me anything that was purple without complaint. I never even got to ask if my love for purple was troubling you. You were always there on rainy days to share your umbrella. You would always be there to lend me your ears whenever I wanted to vent out my frustrations. You’d support my selfish opinions until I calmed down. You were gentle and always willing to give some love.

 

“Hey… don’t leave me by myself.”

 

“Oh, could this me your confession of love?”

 

You loved to tease with the usual toothy grin of yours.

 

“No you idiot.”

 

Then you’d laugh when I gave you my usual cold response.

 

“Alright, I won’t.”

 

You, who were always there to share your umbrella, made me, laugh when I was down, and listened to my rambling for hours on the phone; you were my rock. You made me feel secure, warm and loved.

 

“Quiet class, we have a transfer student from Busan. Get along alright?”

 

But, you were a liar.

 

“Ah, go sit next to Bae Joohyun.”

 

You left without a word. You lied.

 

I never got to tell you that I love you…

 

Because in the end I was just another girl you talked to… right?