The Time After

Just a Bodyguard

Two days after she let him go she went to the hospital again to visit. She hadn’t been able to the day before because of recording.

“You’re here to see Kim Myungsoo?” The lady at the desk asks and she nods, “I am very sorry but he left this morning.”

“Oh, well I’ll see if I can find him on the street maybe. Thank you.” She bows respectively before going out.

She had seen him a few times but either she couldn’t find the courage to talk to him or he walked off swiftly.

The news of him being let go had travelled quickly. Many speculated whether they had been a thing and then broken up so she fired him. Others said he resigned because of the breakup but the news died down just as quick as it had blown up. Not many cared about whether they were in a relationship or not; most talked about her and Min Ho, then a model who she did a couple photo-shoot with. She always laughed at how netizens can make rumors out of just about anything, even nothing. The model was kind but as soon as the shoot ended they never spoke again.

 

Month 4, Week 4

Myungsoo squeezes his eyes shut as he turns away yet again from Suzy. He’s wearing sunglasses so she couldn’t see that he was looking at her but he saw her looking at him. It broke his heart to see that look in her eyes. Someone must be punishing him, making sure that they cross paths at least twice a month. For leaving without notice, one voice tells him.

But that was for the best, he shuts down the internal argument before he can be pulled into his head and stay there for an hour or so. It happened frequently but he couldn’t stop starting it. He wants to go to her, he really does. Every time he sees those eyes filled with a sad longing and unsaid words bubbling on her lips he wants to walk to her. And you know exactly why you can't go to her, he straightens and walks down the street ignoring everyone around him with that strange sadness in his chest.

 

Month 5, Week 1

She has another signing. This one doesn’t give her that feel of excitement like she had for the last one. Maybe it’s because she doesn’t have that bodyguard who lets her sign all of the people on the sides.

She sits at the table smiling at all the people who give her posters and albums to sign. One guy comes and he looks a bit older than her. He looks familiar somehow but not the kind where she’s met him.

“Hi there.” She smiles at him bowing her head.

“Hello, I am Moonsoo and I’m a big fan of yours.” He bows with a smile. She signs the album he gives her.

When he leaves she takes a sip of water and then the next person comes.

“Hi the–” The words get caught in when she looks back up. It’s him.

“Hi, I’m Kim Myungsoo, you’ve just made my brother’s day, maybe life.” He bows with a smile. The look in his eyes is slightly shy and, does she see regret in them as well? She takes the poster as well as a post-it note from beside her and signs her name on the poster. Then on the post-it she writes, ‘Meet me in front of my apartment building when the signing is over. We need to talk.’

“Have a nice day.” She smiles at him giving him both things. He takes them and bows.

She is led to the van and then her mind goes back to Myungsoo. Did he read it or did he throw the message away? Will he be there or not? So many questions run through her head and she’s getting a headache.

She sees him when she gets out of the van. She walks over to him and grabs his hand dragging him into the apartment building. The elevator door opens and before he can say anything she yanks him in and pushes him against the wall.

“Why?” She asks.

“Why wha—”

“Don’t you dare try to talk your way out of this and play dumb. Why did you disappear from the hospital, ignore my calls, and walk away when I saw you on the street? And why only now do you come to a signing?” She’s very angry. Must be the build up from those five months. He looks at her hand and she lets go.

“I’m sorry, I really am but—” She’s not having it.

“Oh I don't think there are any ‘buts’ allowed right now. Do you have any idea what I felt when I drove you to the hospital? I thought you were going to die, I thought it was my fault. I waited until you were stable, I let you see the part of me that’s weak, I cried in front of you. Then you left with no notice and you acted, still are, like you’re working for me. So serious and not showing the emotions that I know are there. Do you know why I bother to keep track of all that?” He says nothing but looks at her with cautious eyes, “It’s because that in the weeks where you worked for me, you weren't only my bodyguard, or person assigned to keep my spirits up, you were my friend. You did more for me than any of my other bodyguards, you let me do what I wanted to do with no objections and then I fell for you, Myungsoo. I tried to hide that fact and the second time you were in my apartment did not help at all and you know that. Is it because you don't feel the same? That you don't want to be with me? I know these thoughts are dramatic but it sure as hell looks like that’s the case.”

“Soo-ji,” He says in a soft voice. His eyes are unreadable.

“If you’re going to make another excuse, please save it and get to the point.” She sighs.

“I did all that because I didn't and still don’t want to ruin your image. Can you imagine what they would think of you being in a relationship with your once bodyguard?” She opens to speak but he cuts her off, “It’s my turn to talk now. I know that you are really strong and you can handle the comments directed at you extremely well, but you can’t deal as well with the comments towards other people. I saw how you reacted with the Lee Min Ho ones; you were so saddened that some were saying those horrible things about him. I know that there will always be people who hate on what you do but with this, the reaction would be huge. I don't want to be the cause of something that can both damage you and your image. You’ve worked so hard to obtain it and I can't ruin that.”

“But you won’t. I know that as long as there are people who support me, it doesn't matter what happens to my image and I know there are people who don't care who I date.” He looks away, “Please, just answer me. How do you feel about me? Do you ca–”

“Of course I care about you, that’s the reason I both got the letter of resignation and kept it for a period of time. I avoided you like that because I knew that if I talked to you, I would just keep falling. So I’m going to get straight to the point then. I love you Bae Soo-ji.” It’s like someone pulled her forward with a rope, and hard. All she knows is that he said those words and now their lips are touching. Electricity tingles through her entire body with the contact. The doors open and she slowly walks out keeping his lips against hers. She can't do anything else because his arms have gone around her waist.

She pulls away and presses her forehead against his.

“I love you too, Myungsoo.” He pecks her lips, “And that’s all we need to get through what happens in the future.” He looks at her and smiles softly.

“Alright then, Ms Bae.” He wipes away the tears that fell down her face when she was pretty much shouting at him, “Not bad for a bodyguard, huh?” She laughs.

“Ex-bodyguard because otherwise, this,” She gestures to how they’re standing, “Would be considered unprofessional.” He chuckles, “And,” She stands on her tiptoes and puts her lips close to his ear, “Do not call me Ms Bae. We’ve been over this.”

“Are you threatening me?” He smirks.

“Well, I might send Damon loose on you, he’s very well trained and lethal for such a small dog.”

“Damon loves me.” He lets go of her and then picks the dog up. He it and the dog looks as if it wants to purr, “Not even Ms Bae could make you bite me, right?” He asks softly.

“Okay you’ve proved your point but—”

“Ah ah ah, no ‘buts’ allowed right now, remember?” He smirks.

“Are you trying to tempt me to throw you out?” She raises an eyebrow. He immediately puts the dog down and rushes over to her. His arms wrap around her small frame.

“Don’t do that, it’s cold out there and I’d miss you.” He whispers, “Wouldn’t you miss me?”

“Are you getting clingy now?” She smiles softly.

“Being thrown out is cruel and you didn’t answer my question, would you miss me?”

“Yes.” She leans into his chest focusing on that strong heartbeat of his.

“Good.”

 

Finished! I hope you liked that Myungzy story and if, in the future, you would like to see more Myungzy!

Comment what you thought about Just a Bodyguard and thank you for reading! :D