Chapter 2

Locked
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The freedom they enjoyed didn’t last. Five years. It only took five years before the entire situation in the Aero Building changed. The apartment-like prison cells were stripped down to black brick walls which didn’t allow light to enter at night and the prisoners were only starting to get used to the darkness.

 

Bomi leaned back on a particular wall. She had no idea which of them it was, for it was too dark to see. Was she facing the door of the cell? Who knows? The entire building had no lights installed, and practically nothing was visible.

 

She was about to fall asleep, when the wall before her flashed. Alphabets appeared one by one, words were formed and a sentence was displayed across her. “Meet us at the usual place” read the wall.

 

“Again,” She thought. The fifteen year old stood up and brushed off the dirt from her clothes. She scoffed. It wasn’t like she could see if there was dirt on her.

 

The wall flashed again. “Hurry up” it said.

 

The white words on the wall disappeared as quickly as it came. It only took her a minute to find the window and climb out of it. The bars weren’t as strong as they thought.

 

Of course, the lights outside shone in the dark and Bomi was confused. Her eyes adjusted to the lighting a second later and she regained composure. She ran swiftly towards the courtyard while keeping a lookout for the prison guards. Choa and Jimin, the nicest prison guards, had changed shifts to permanent day shifts and Bomi never had the freedom to roam around anymore because Choa wasn’t there to help her.

 

She climbed that same tree she had become familiar with years ago – along with the annoying girl who was now seventeen. That girl hardly came out after the constructions, and Bomi only got to see her in prison school, other than Saturdays where the prisoners were given the freedom to walk around.

 

Bomi jumped from the tree and slid down the slanted walls of the prison perimeters. It wasn’t that hard to escape. “Hello world,” Bomi greeted as her feet touched the ground. The outside world was a mess, probably due to the screwed up government.

 

Her four partners met her at their usual hideout. It had been three years since they first met Bomi, or rather, enlisted her help. She was now a part of them, the youngest of them, and the smartest at the same time.

 

Bomi could still remember their first meeting. Kaihan was up on a tree, his legs hanging off the branch as he chewed on his gum. Strawberry flavoured, to be exact. Jirin was squatting on a desk beside the tree. What was the desk doing there anyway? The apple in his hands was as red as Bomi’s cheeks when Taekook appeared beside her and kissed her cheeks. Taekook was the affectionate guy, whom of course, woke up late to their first meeting and decided to give a kiss to their newest member, and lastly, Youngjin, the youngest member before Bomi’s arrival, was staring at her from the next room through a two-way mirror.

 

“What’s up, what’s new, Kaihan oppa?” Bomi questioned. He gave a serious look.

 

“Youngjin’s missing,”

 

Bomi turned around. “I will find him,” She asserted.

 

“You should search his room for clues.” He pointed to a door. Bomi nodded, sensing the seriousness of the situation. She raised her hand up and twisted the doorknob, pushing the door open, only to be met with a soft, mushy feeling felt on her face. She sniffed, and realised she had cream up her nose.

 

“CAKE SMASH!”

 

“Happy birthday maknae!” Taekook’s voice could be heard. Bomi wiped some cream off her face and opened her eyes to see Jirin, Taekook and Youngjin in party hats.

 

“You really thought I was missing?” Youngjin asked.

 

Bomi was about to answer when more cream entered before a word escaped. “Ughhhhhh,” She mumbled, the cream on her face getting more irritating by the moment. Jirin saw the annoyed look on their youngest member and braced himself for a rough journey ahead.

 

Thankfully, Kaihan had arrived at the scene of the party, now adorned with a party hat that was too small for his head and a gift that Bomi could never thank him enough for. The four of them had pooled their money to get her a smartphone-like device incorporated into a watch.

 

“There, we can now find you without writing messages on your wall, and you had better respond to our calls,” Kaihan ruffled Bomi’s hair (which was, fortunately, not creamed during the cake smash) and beamed.

 

“Sorry we got you out so late. We wanted to be the first to wish you, and celebrate your birthday. Besides, tomorrow’s Saturday, and you have a mission to carry out in prison,” Jirin added.

 

“Now you should return. Get a good rest and, use the device to inform us about your findings. Remember, only information about that girl is what we want.” Bomi nodded to her leader’s instructions and left.

 

The next morning was spent rolling around in her cell, waiting for the prison guard to open the doors. It was Saturday, freedom day of the week. The fifteen year old put on her watch and strode out to the courtyard confidently while whistling.

 

The same sight was seen every Saturday. Children fighti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter