Chapter 01

Flawed Perfection

It was a beautiful morning in Seoul. Despite it being a Monday, everyone seemed to be happy because of the amazing weather. But while the vast majority of students at Starship Academy were happily chatting, there was one who was moping: No Minwoo.

“Yah, what’s your problem?” Jung Sohee hit one of her best friend’s arm.

The boy didn’t stop pouting though. “I couldn’t finish my math homework. The teacher is going to kill me,” No Minwoo moaned.

“Again?!” Sohee shook her head, an exasperated expression on her face. “What did you do the whole weekend?”

Minwoo smiled awkwardly, “There was this dance competition…” he trailed off.

Sohee wacked his arm again. “Well, did you at least win?”

“Yup, first prize,” he smiled proudly.

“Sohee, Minwoo!” A voice called out causing the two to turn around.

A girl rushed up to the two, pausing to catch her breath.

“Yah, Kim Jimin, how many times have I told you not to run like that?” Sohee nagged. “You know your stamina ,” she teased.

Jimin straightened up and pouted cutely. Before she could say anything though, Minwoo attacked her with a hug.

“Jimin-ah! My favorite chingu,” he cooed.

Jimin giggled, “What do you want, Minwoo?”

“Please let me copy off of your math homework! We have math first period and the teacher will kill me if he finds out I didn’t do the work,” Minwoo sobbed.

Jimin giggled before reaching into her bag and pulling out a file. Minwoo cheered while Sohee rolled her eyes.

“You’re too kind to this doofus,” she muttered.

Jimin chuckled. “Well, I gotta make a quick stop at Donghyun oppa’s class. See you guys later,” she waved before heading out of the classroom.

Minwoo smiled happily as he began copying Jimin’s answers. He didn’t bother checking to make sure it was right; after all, Kim Jimin was a straight A student.

“Jimin is the best friend ever,” Minwoo subconsciously blurted out.

Sohee glared at Minwoo before pouncing on him, “I dare you to say that again, you brat!”

 

 

 

Jimin walked through the hallways of the senior classes with a spring in her step. Many people smiled at her and greeted her as she made her way to her brother’s class.

Kim Jimin was the golden girl of Starship Academy. She was known throughout campus for being smart, kind and beautiful. She had many fans and several people wanted to be her friends.

When she finally reached her brother’s classroom, she peeked in and smiled when she spotted Kim Donghyun chatting with his friends.

“Oppa,” she called before giving him a side hug.

Donghyun blinked, surprised. When he spotted Jimin, he smiled dotingly. “Omo, Jiminnie, what are you doing here?”

“Jimin-ah, annyeong,” Donghyun’s best friend, Hyunseong waved amicably.

“Annyeong oppa,” she waved back before answering Donghyun’s question. “You forgot your lunch box oppa, here,” she handed him the box.

“Did you make lunch again Jimin-ah?” Hyunseong asked curiously.

“Yeah, umma was busy with work so I decided to make it,” Jimin smiled.

“Wah,” Donghyun cheered. “Jimin’s lunches are the best!”

Hyunseong nodded in agreement. “I remember the cookies you gave me last time, they were the best I ever had!”

Jimin flushed with pleasure. “I’ll make them for you the next time you come over oppa,” she smiled.

“Really? Thanks Jimin-ah!”

“You’d better head back to class, Jimin. First period will start in a few minutes,” Donghyun warned.

“Oh, you’re right, see you later oppa. Bye Hyunseong oppa,” Jimin waved before rushing out of the class.

Hyunseong chuckled as he watched her leave. “Yah, you’re lucky Jimin’s your sister,” he pointed out.

Donghyun smiled sincerely, “I know, she’s the best sister ever.”

 

 

 

“You wanna go to the arcade?” Sohee asked as she, Jimin and Minwoo made their way out after classes ended for that evening.

“Oh, call!” Minwoo immediately agreed.

Jimin frowned apologetically. “Sorry, Sohee-ah, I need to go home. My parents are having some business partners over and I need to be there for it,” she explained.

Sohee made a face, “Ugh, family dinners? I don’t understand how you can handle that. I hate having breakfast with my sister, let alone a full course meal with my whole family.”

Jimin laughed. “Anyway, I need to go, Donghyun oppa is probably waiting near the gate. See you guys tomorrow?”

“Bye Jimin,” the two chorused.

As she’d predicted, Donghyun was waiting for Jimin by the school gate. He perked up when he spotted her and smiled.

“Oppa, mian, did you wait long?” Jimin asked.

“Ah, it’s no problem, I just got here actually,” Donghyun shrugged it off. “Let me hold your bag,” he offered.

Jimin smiled and handed her school bag over.

The two siblings began their walk home, talking about school and other random stuff all the way.

 

 

“Oh, your daughter is so precious,” cooed the woman. She reached over and pinched Jimin’s cheek.

Jimin bit her tongue to hold in the wince. The woman sure had a strong grip, she could already feel her cheek stinging. But she had to act polite. This woman was the one her parents were doing business with and she’d hate to leave a bad impression.

“Thank you, ma’am.” Jimin forced a smile.

“So pretty too,” Mrs. Yoo, a well-known business woman, as well as the wife of the CEO of a highly acclaimed cosmetics company, smiled.

“I hear both of your kids are really talented,” Mr. Yoo hinted.

Donghyun and Jimin blushed modestly while their parents chuckled, half-heartedly denying the praises.

“Omo, that’s right. Donghyun is a talented soccer star isn’t he? I saw a newspaper article about him once,” Mrs. Yoo recalled.

“Ah, kamsahamnida,” Donghyun bowed.

“And, Jimin-ssi plays the piano right? We’ve been to a few of your recitals actually. If you don’t mind, could you play a piece for us?” Mr. Yoo requested.

Jimin smiled politely. “Neh, I don’t mind at all.”

Mrs. Kim led them all to the specially designed music room. It was a huge room with sound-proof walls containing nothing but a grand white piano.

Jimin sat at the piano, flexing her fingers slightly. The adults talked in hushed voices, excited to listen to Jimin’s music.

Jimin took a deep breath, closed her eyes and let her fingers take control. Her digits flew over the keys, the pressure perfect so as to produce the best notes. The music that drifted out was soft, passionate and soothing.

“Oh, Ave Maria,” Mr. Yoo recognized the composition in a heartbeat.

Donghyun smiled softly. He knew Ave Maria by Schubert was one of Jimin’s all-time favorite compositions.

As the piece came to an end and the last notes lingered in the air, Mr. and Mrs. Yoo applauded, clearly impressed.

Jimin stood up and took a bow, her cheeks tinted pink at all the attention.

“Oh, your daughter is so lovely,” Mrs. Yoo cooed again. “Smart, beautiful and talented. She’s perfect, isn’t she?” she giggled.

Mrs. Kim smiled back. “Yes, I supposes. She’s definitely the most perfect daughter we could ask for.”


Author's Note

Hello :) Here's the first chapter, I hope it's good. It doesn't have Kwangmin in it yet, but don't worry, he'll be coming soon ;) I just wanted to set up a chapter to show what Jimin's life is like and how/why she's considered the 'perfect girl.'

Please do subscribe, comment and up-vote to let me know what you think of this chapter. Bye~