Chapter 2

One Love

            The next morning, at 7 AM, I’m waiting in front of Kim Woo Bin’s apartment and wondering if I should call him, or just wait for him to come out. The first job of the day is the script reading session for the drama he got casted in. It starts at 8: 30 AM, and I came out extra early, because I know traffic can be a during rush hour.

            I pick up my phone from the seat next to me, and call the number given to me on the tablet. I realized as I called, that I have to protect the tablet with my life, since it has every personal and professional detail about Kim Woo Bin in it. And I’ll probably be screwed if I lose it. As I’m thinking about how much that will cost me, the call goes to voicemail, and I try again.

            For the fifth time, the call goes to voicemail, and I decide to wake him up in person. I go up to his floor, and stand in front of the door. I ring the doorbell, but there is no response. I ring it again, and there’s no response again. There’s no answer after the third ring, so I wonder if he’s even home. I take out the key to his home that I got from President Gong. I slowly open the door, and there’s nothing but silence.

            I go inside and shut the door. I take a look around, and his house is pretty impressive. It’s modern and sleek, what anyone his age would like. I walk into the hallway, to my right, and open the door to the first room. There’s a bed with a nightstand, and a closet. The bed looks unslept on. I close the door and try the next one. This time it’s a room filled with what looks like gifts from fans. There are paintings, sketches, and drawings of his face on the wall, on the floor, and lots of other things such as letters, and from what I can see, fan made gifts. I wonder what it’s like to have so many people love you and adore you. He should be one happy guy.

            I open the next door, and am startled by what’s in the room. Kim Woo Bin is on his bed, half (I’m assuming since his lower part is covered by the blanket), eyes closed, with a girl cuddling with him. I’m pretty sure they’re sleeping. The girl whimpers something, and opens her eyes. She looks around for a bit, and we make eye contact. The girl and I both go wide- eyed, she sits up suddenly, and shakes him awake.

            “W- What is it?” He says in a sleep filled voice.

            “Th- There! Who’s she?!” The girl exclaims, pointing at me.

            I don’t know what to do, so I’m just standing there, like a complete idiot.

            “What the hell?! Who are you!” He frowns at me.

            “... I’m your new manager.” I manage to say.

“You’re my new…” He lets out a deep breath. “Jesus, you scared me.”

“You’re not going to chase her out?” The girl asks.

            “Why would I? She’s my manager. You leave. I have to get ready.”

            Well that was unexpected. I thought he would tell me to leave for sure.

            “Why should I leave? She’s the one that barged in.”

            “I said get out. She probably got keys from President Gong. If you don’t get the hell out in the next 3 seconds, I’m gonna throw you out .”

            The girl is obviously angry and speechless. She quickly puts on her clothes and whispers, “” to me before she leaves.

            “Now, I need to get ready so if you don’t mind..” Woo Bin says.

            “Oh, right. I’ll be in the living room.”

            About 20 minutes later, Woo Bin walks out of his room, fresh from a shower, and in sweats and a black t- shirt. I have to be honest, and say that he really is hot. Like, really, really hot.

            “You can stop staring now,” he says with a smirk on his face. “I know I’m good looking, but you’re gonna have to get used to this face if you’re going to stay as my manager.”

            I can feel my face heat up. My first impression of this guy is not great at all. So far I can say for sure that he loves sleeping with hot women and is the most narcissistic actor on Earth.

            “Let’s go,” I say turning towards the door. “We don’t have a whole lot of time before your schedule.”

            “Okay, but what’s my schedule?”

            “It’s the script reading for the new drama you were casted in.”

            We get into the van, with Woo Bin riding in the back. I merge into the fast paced Seoul traffic.

            “So how old are you?” Woo Bin asks.

            I glance at him through the rear view mirror and see that he is staring at me. I swallow, because I get nervous under that stare. I look back out the window.

            I clear my throat and say, “twenty three”

            “Oh, you’re young. I’m 27 so I’ll just speak informally to you.”

            He’s been speaking informally to me this whole time but I don’t say anything.

            We arrive at the broadcast station at 8:20. Thank God I went extra early to pick him up. If I went any later we would have been late.

            “Hey, go get me a cup of coffee,” Woo Bin says as we enter the building. “I want an iced Americano with double shot and extra ice.”

            “Yes, sir,” I murmur lowly. I go to the small café and order what he wanted. I guess I should get used to getting coffee for him, since I plan to work with him for quite some time.

            After the coffee comes out, I go back to where he was standing. He’s nowhere to be seen.

            Holy .

            My eyes dart around to look for him, but he’s gone. I call him, but it goes straight to his voicemail. I go lurking around the men’s bathroom, to see if he’s in there, and I even call out his name, but there’s no response.

            I look at the time, and it’s already past the time that the reading was supposed to start.

            Thinking of all the possible excuses I could give, I hurry up to the meeting room where the script reading is being held.

            I slowly creak open the large doors, and the reading has already started. Heads turn towards me, and I bow my head multiple times apologizing, and go to the far wall of the room.

            Then as I’m catching my breath, I make eye contact with the man who is sitting next to the director, who is at the head of the long table.

            He smirks at me and goes back to focusing on his script.

            Kim Woo Bin. He was here the whole time.

            I don’t know if I should be angry or happy. He’s here, where he’s supposed to be, but he left me stranded without telling me where he was going.

            I can sense this is going to be a hard job. I sigh and take a long drink from the coffee I’m holding. It’s Woo Bin’s, but I don’t care. Since he made me go running around the building for nothing, I think I deserve a reward.

            I watch Woo Bin as he reads his lines. I feel like he’s me in. I remember my friends back home watching the dramas he starred in and obsessing over him. I didn’t understand why they did back then, but I think I get it now. Just a bit. The way he says his lines, the facial expressions he makes all have a way of mesmerizing anyone who is watching him. No wonder he got into scandals with the actresses he was paired with in dramas; anyone who acts with him as lovers would mistake him for really having feelings for that person.

            I nod my head slightly in understanding and make eye contact with my artist again. He frowns and looks at the cup of coffee that I’m holding. I’ve drank about a fourth of it. I shrug my shoulders at him, and he smirks as if he can’t believe what I did. I glare at him, hoping he’ll get the message that I’m pissed at him for leaving me, and he’s the one that shrugs this time. I narrow my eyes and take a long sip from the straw. He rolls his eyes and focuses back on his script.

            As the script reading goes on, I think of what I can do to keep Woo Bin on a leash from now on.