Day 3

Nuggets and Pizza Boxes

The morning light casts a brilliant outline to a small, green plant. Water cascading the scenery paints the image a picturesque glaze that Suwoong merely wishes he can capture with a camera because first of all, they don't have the money, and second of all being that their bank account's existence is almost visually dust, and only single moth dwells within the wallet they call their piggy. The younger makes his way to the kitchen where Jinki is watering their cactus plant, cleverly named Bill, to brew his scheduled morning coffee.

At the self-proclaimed elegant café where Suwoong works, the manager had placed him to work as the waiter. It wasn’t because he hated the boy’s coffee, but because he wanted better looking boys to work at the front lines for the image.

Of course, the man said it so the boy’s self-confidence was boosted. Suwoong’s selfie collection off his Polaroid camera has grown excessively since the day he was hired, and Jinki is left picking up the stray, fallen photos off the floor.

Jinki says Suwoong needs to chill with the amount of photos he’s taking, but he would usually find himself enjoying the activity by frequently jumping in the shot or obscuring it by simply being in the background.

“Can you bring back a slice of the cheesecake home today?” said male requests from where he’s leaned against the counter by their house plant. Suwoong offers him a mug of freshly brewed coffee, nodding with his eyes partially opened.

“And don’t forget your colouring pencils at school again.” He calls out before Suwoong closes the door behind him.

~~

Work wasn’t hard on Suwoong’s part; he only has to wait tables and take orders. It's something he does very well. Today it was a full house, what with the vacation granting many office workers a couple days off from their sickly sweet cubicles. There were families scattered from different tables with kids running around. Not that the sound they generously provided was greatly appreciated, but they were polite enough to play outside at the park nearby.

“How’s it going with art school?” came a familiar voice from over his shoulder. Suwoong glances over his shoulder, quickly tidying the empty table’s contents onto his tray and visibly brightening up at his friend's appearance.

The boy always came during the noon shift, or he was late again today. “Byunghyun!” he exclaimed. “I get to do models this week!” The part where every art major looks forward to.

‘Of course he’s happy.’ Byunghyun only laughs, showing his default amiable smile. “Someone’s excited.”

“Who isn’t?” Suwoong interjects. “I mean – it’s much easier to draw the skin than creases and folds.” He places the trays and used tableware where the kitchen’s cleaning area is located, wiping his hands on his apron and then throwing his arm over Byunghyun’s shoulders. “There are a lot of things you could do with the figure drawings, you know.”

“Sure, like drawing and butts, am I right?” Byunghyun laughs, nudging the other with his elbow. His head rises at the sound of his name being called.

“No- Oh my god,” Suwong protests. “Okay, maybe?” he admits.

Byunghyun gives him a strange condensing look and chuckles, patting his back. “You do you, homie. Gotta zing.”

They part ways with the manager barking at Suwoong to continue his job "like a good boy." Suwoong has a caramel latte ordered up for the man in the puffy blue scarf sitting out by the balcony, and he would be lying if he didn’t think the man looked familiar. In his scrutiny of trying to distinguish the stranger’s mole on his left cheek, Suwoong didn’t see the cafe's only waitress pass by.

Coffee was spilled, there were lots of screaming, and Jessica was seen storming out saying something along the lines of quitting because of the café’s failure to ensure the workers' safety. It was partially Suwoong’s fault because most of the accidents that the poor girl was involved in for the past week was due to his own faulty customer ogling.

The manager is spitting fire at Suwoong now; he hadn’t noticed earlier because the blue scarf guy was watching and, what a coincidence, he did see him somewhere before.

“I swear to God, Suwoong, you’ll have to pay for that – broken glass. Thank goodness the drink was cold – oh now I have to pay for her expenses.” The manager rambles. “You’re going to have to pay for losing a worker, too, Suwoong—” he points toward the boy, and said boy could only offer a sheepish smile in reply.

“Or else we’re going to have to double your-” the manager pauses, realising their location, and physically drags Suwoong to the back room where he continues to scold him.

“Yeah, yeah. I got you! I’ll have Jinki come in to help us for the mean time.” Suwoong argues for what feel like fifteen minutes for his freedom; that is, from working an extra shift over the next weekend. He needed the time to work on projects, and he couldn’t work with his schedule running very late, especially with his terrible knack for procrastination.

His manager, Mr. Park, as he would like everyone to call him (but nobody really does), scowled. “Your roommate? Didn’t you always tell me he was a bum? I thought he has a job.”

“No- he just got fired.” The boy lies. “I promise he’ll be the best thing you can ask for!”

There was a pause, and finally, with a grimace, the manager gives in, “If you say so.”

With that, Suwoong went over his roommate’s contact details with Mr. Park and continues his shift. Regrettably, the stranger had taken his leave during his ordeal with his over-bearing manager, but the evening promised more energy with the thought of a certain brunette in mind.

~~

That evening, Suwoong returns home, dumps his bag by the front door, and rushes to the sitting room (which was a few steps from the door) to throw himself on the couch where Jinki sat.

“Man what’s gotten you so happy??” the man questions. “But forget what I said; guess what happened to me today?”

Suwoong already has his mouth open to answer but Jinki continues to speak, the both of them answering at the same time because Suwoong is an impatient child.

“What, you quit?!?” Suwoong exclaimes.

“You're the one ing hiring me when you don't even know my schedule!”

“It was easy to guess, stupid. The mall opens 24/7 and you're in the night shift.” The younger of the two cranes his neck forward, wrist twisting matter-of-factly.

That was actually correct, but “that doesn't dictate whether or not I need a job, okay.” Jinki scolds.

“But you quit anyway, so that’s a done deal.”

Jinki thinks for a moment. He did need a job to support the roof they both shared, and with Suwoong already giving him the opportunity, that means he didn't need to search for any more jobs!!!

They hit the jackpot and that means...

“We're going to work together!!!” Jinki squeals. Suwoong joins and bumps their fists together, proceeding into a friendly couch wrestling before both of them halts at the doorbell.

Suwoong kicks Jinki, signalling he should open the door and the elder grunts in protest but nonetheless opens the door in his boxers clad self.

His brows raise, finally recognizing the man at the door after almost a full minute of standing there to display himself in all his glory and Suwoong yelling from the couch. Jinki closes the door and turns to Suwoong, grimacing and grunting yet again.

“It's for you,” he says, shuffling away to the kitchen where he joins Bill for a cup of evening joe.

Suwoong’s interest is piqued at the notion. Nobody comes over to visit them, and nobody ever really knows where they live because neither of the two are actual socialists.

Cautiously, the small adolescent stumbles to the door, haphazardly fixing his clothes the best he can as he opens the door to a familiar blue scarf.
 


A/N: tbh this sounds like a essay someone made on the last night. —fpyrd