Jihyo vs Wendy

Mercurial Talents
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Well. Uh. Hi. Here you go. :D Definitely not guilty of not updating.

 

“I’ll be the referee of this match, obviously.” Ms Sunmi raised her hand as she walked to the middle of the pitch.

 

Both Jihyo and Irene made their way to the middle of the pitch as well to have a coin toss to see which team starts first. Jihyo chose Tails, Irene chose Heads. Ms Sunmi nodded and flipped the coin high into the air. All three of them watched as the coin flipped and descend, landing on Ms Sunmi’s palm, revealing it to be heads.

 

“Is that alright with you, Jihyo?”

“It’s fine.”

“Alright. Irene, does your team want to switch sides or are you guys comfortable where you all are?”

 

Irene looked back at her team and they all nodded. Seeing this, Ms Sunmi nodded as well. Jihyo then shook hands with the both them while Irene did the same. Ms Sunmi placed the ball in the middle and Seulgi stood over it with Wendy close by while Irene made her way back to her defensive line.

 

“Before we begin, this will be a 60-minute match! First half will be 30 minutes and second half will be another 30 minutes. There will be added time. Now, are you all ready?” Ms Sunmi looks at all the players on the pitch. All of them nodded simultaneously and Ms Sunmi smiled.

 

“Well then, kick off!” Ms Sunmi blew the whistle and Seulgi passed the ball to Wendy.

 

With the ball at her feet, Wendy began surveying her surroundings. Seulgi was jogging to the opposing team’s line of defence while Yeri was drifting over to the right wing.

 

“Play it slow, Wendy!” Irene shouted. She nodded and passed the ball back to Irene, who slowly made her way forward with Wendy supporting her.

 

Meanwhile, Mina, who is the striker for the Jihyo’s team, slowly made her way to Irene while Jihyo and Sana were marking Yeri and Seulgi respectively. With Mina facing off against Irene, the latter is not intimidated by Mina’s presence. Irene raised her right leg up, indicating that she was going to make a pass. Mina closed the gap immediately and tried to tackle her but she was quicker. Irene then did a rainbow flick which launched the ball over Mina’s head as she was tackling. This caused her to stumble forward while Irene swivels away from her with the ball landing sweetly by Irene’s foot.

 

Dahyun widened her eyes as the others cheered from the bench. With Mina out of the way, Irene had free space down the middle. Yeri was free down the middle and she passed it to her and made her way back to her defensive line, apologizing to Mina for what happened, who smiled it off. With Yeri on the ball, she moved up nearer to Nayeon who was being cautious of her. She then noticed that Jihyo left her marking duties to help with Nayeon, leaving Wendy open while Sana was still on Seulgi. Wendy then pointed to the corner flag and Yeri made a splendid through ball to her, causing both Nayeon and Jihyo to run back. This time, Nayeon is on Yeri who made her way to the edge of the box. Wendy chased after the ball and reached it before it went out of play. Seulgi couldn’t shake off Sana so she was not an option. Wendy then looked around and saw that Jihyo is gunning towards her at an alarming rate. Because of this, she panicked and made a cross too near to Jeongyeon, who caught it with ease.

 

“…” She muttered

 

“Don’t worry about it, Wendy!” Yeri voiced out as she made her way back to her midfield position. Seulgi gave her a thumbs up which she returned half-heartedly. Jihyo gave Jeongyeon a thumbs up to which the latter returned. Nayeon gave Jihyo a pat in the back and made her way back to her defensive line while Jihyo ran back to mark Wendy again. Jeongyeon passed the ball to Nayeon who then passed it to Sana, who has Seulgi for company. Whichever way she went, Seulgi is always there, not giving her any space whatsoever. Sana gritted her teeth and passed it back all the way to Jeongyeon, who seemed surprised by her actions. Sana shook her head and she looked to the bench, especially at Dahyun. Surprised took her as Dahyun was also looking at her, telling her to calm down. The latter then smiled and gave her a thumbs up, cheering her on. Sana giggled and ran back to her position by the left wing. Jeongyeon passed it once again to Nayeon who surveyed her surroundings. In her view, she saw Sana standing behind Seulgi, Wendy standing behind Jihyo and Mina being marked by Irene. She didn’t know who to passed to until…


“Hey! Nayeon!”

 

Nayeon looked up and saw Sana raising her hand and making a run towards the corner flag. Nayeon, being sceptical of her long-range passing abilities, gritted her teeth and tried. The ball flew in the air, Sana chasing it down with Seulgi right on her tail. It bounced just a few yards in front of Sana and she continued to chase it down. Just as the ball reached the other side of the line for a goal kick, Sana managed to stop it but due to her momentum, she couldn’t stop near the ball and ran out of the pitch, slowly stopping to a halt. Seulgi took possession of the ball and passed it to Joy who thanked her. Nayeon raised her hand in apology and Sana gave her a thumbs up for her effort.

 

On the bench, Chaeyoung clapped her hands and cheered on while Tzuyu and Dahyun observed quietly.

 

“I think you can teach her your long-range passing, Tzu.”

“If it helps the team, I’m down. Anything my Captain says, I’ll do it.”

“I’m not the Captain anymore, Chewy-ah.” Dahyun sighs.

Tzuyu shrugged and smiled as her focus is back on the game.

 

15 minutes, 0-0

The ball is currently with Nayeon, after successfully stopping Wendy’s run by getting to the ball first through Yeri’s lobbed all forward. As Nayeong was observing the surroundings in front of her, she didn’t notice Wendy running back to tackle the ball away from her.

 

“Nayeon! Watch out!” Jeongyeon screamed at the top of her lungs. Nayeon whipped her head around instantly and saw Wendy making a slide tackle to steal the ball away from her. She quickly turned around and passed the ball to Sana but she felt something hit her shin, causing her to fall, clutching her shin. Ms Sunmi saw this but saw that the ball is with Sana, she raised her hand for an advantage. Wendy looked at Nayeon apologetically and went ahead to help her team. Jeongyeon became worried for her and went over, asking if she is fine to which Nayeon simply nodded her head.

 

With Sana on the ball, she quickly went past Seulgi, surprising the latter. She was near the right corner flag of the opposing team when she cut inside. Irene was about to rush forward but Seulgi made her way back and tried to defend against Sana. The Japanese turned back towards the corner flag and saw Jihyo making her way over through the middle. With Seulgi on her back, she had to hatch up a plan on the spot. Within seconds, she thought of one. As she was jockeying, she noticed Seulgi’s legs were spread out. Sana then looked at Jihyo and pointed behind her, which is behind Seulgi as well as there was an empty space for someone to run through. The Captain got her message and ran towards the open space. As Irene is covering Mina, she could not leave her position and leave Mina wide open for a goal scoring opportunity so she is forced to mark Mina.

 

Once Sana saw that Jihyo is almost right behind Seulgi through her run, she rolled the ball backwards through Seulgi’s legs and on to Jihyo. Seeing this, Dahyun gasped, Tzuyu had wide open, Chaeyoung screamed and Momo clapped her hands. Irene ran forward, forgetting about marking Mina and tried to cover off Jihyo’s pass but the latter was quicker and squared it to Mina who simply tapped it past Joy, who could only watch as the ball rolled into the back of the net. She fist-bumped Jihyo and the both of them went over to Sana to congratulate her for her big play. Sana apologized to Seulgi who could only give her a thumbs up and a smile that says ‘I’ll get you back for this’. She looked at Dahyun, who clapped and smiled at her lovingly. Sana made a finger heart and went back to her side of the pitch.

 

25 minutes, 1-0

With 5 minutes plus added time left to go for the first half, Seulgi got the game underway and immediately went on the attack. She dribbled down the middle with Wendy floating towards the left while Yeri went to the right wing. Sensing the oncoming danger, Jihyo went to defend against Seulgi while Mina and Sana went on to mark Wendy and Yeri respectively. Seulgi decided to face her captain and did a roulette, getting past Jihyo with ease but the latter wouldn’t give up there. She continued chasing Seulgi, who’s making h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter