The Signing

Cheer up, Sung Mi!

That weekend, the two families met up at an elite Japanese restaurant. Sung Mi and her father arrived second. The moment they entered the private room, Ha Joon stood up and quickly bowed to her father before embracing her in his arms. 
His father cleared his throat loudly in order to remind his son to remain composed. Ha Joon released Sung Mi and led her over to her seat before returning to his own seat.
A waitress entered and took the fathers' order. Once she was out of earshot, Sung Mi's father poured Ha Joon's father a glass of Sake. The two men began talking about business while their children kept their focus on each other. Ha Joon desperately wanted to go over to her side and hold her in his arms to make her feel safe, but he had to resist for now.
"Okay, so we all know why we're here," Ha Joon's father started.
He nodded at Sung Mi's father, who proceeded to take out two pages from under the table, The children looked on, curious. Her father placed each page in front of the children. 
Sung Mi lifted the page to inspect it. She sighed when she noticed that it was a contract. As she read on, she discovered that the contract included a promise of the involved party to keep their promise to marry after University. Before the marriage, they were to be engaged. At the bottom of the page, there was an area for them to sign and give a thumbprint.
Suddenly, Ha Joon slammed his fist onto the table. 
"Does this really seem right to you?" Ha Joon asked, raising his voice to his father. 
"Ha Joon-ah. We’ve known this family for a very long time. This was bound to happen so don’t go making a fuss."
"What do you think, Sung Mi-ah?" Ha Joon asked across the table.
She took a glance at her father. "We were thinking of getting married anyway. I don’t like this method, but it will end up with the same result either way."
Ha Joon realized that Sung Mi seemed defeated by all of this. Her energy was being drained and she just wanted to get out of there as fast as possible. 
Understanding her exhaustion, Ha Joon pulled a pen from his pocket and signed his name. Sung Mi looked up at him shocked by his sudden decision.
"Don't misunderstand, Father. I'm doing this to make sure I end up with Sung Mi. I don’t care about your business motives."
Ha Joon's father nodded and patted his son's back. Then, all eyes fell on Sung Mi. 
Ha Joon gave her a reassuring nod. That was all she needed. She told herself that she wasn’t in this alone. With Ha Joon by her side, she could get through this safely. She took the pen from him and signed her own name at the bottom of the page. 
The fathers applauded and took a sip from their glasses. 
Almost on instinct, the waitress entered with their order and the fathers began to serve themselves. 
Ha Joon stood up suddenly and took Sung Mi's hand in his, lifting her to her feet. 
"Now that it's settled, we don’t need to be here anymore, right?" He asked the men.
Not waiting for a response, Ha Joon pulled Sung Mi out of the room and out of the restaurant. She held onto his hand, desperate to leave. 
Once outside, she released a breath, relieved to have left that environment. Ha Joon turned to her and pulled her coat around her tightly, before zipping her up. Then, he took her hand and held it in his, in his jacket pocket. They strolled away from the restaurant and headed into the city, looking for a distraction.