Confrontation

Cheer up, Sung Mi!

The two took a taxi to Sung Mi's Father's Office. He was the CEO of an Architecture Firm in Seoul. He was highly respected and even more feared. When they entered the lobby, the receptionists recognized Sung Mi and sent her up the elevator. 

Now, she stood in front of her father's secretary, waiting for her to finish informing her father of her sudden visit.  

"You can go in now," the secretary informed, ushering them to the large wooden double doors.  

Upon her entry, her father glanced up and refocused his gaze on her companion. 

"Oh, Ha Joon-ah, what are you doing here?" Her father asked, not yet greeting her. 

"Just came for the ride," Ha Joon responded, offering a polite smile.  

Her father motioned for them to take a seat at the glass table that ran perpendicular to his mahogany desk.  

"To what do I owe this visit?" Her Father prompted. 

Sung Mi shifted in her seat, radiating discomfort. Ha Joon nudged her foot. "Well, I was wondering if it was necessary that I come home this weekend." 

"Yes, it is. I need you home. It's important."  

"I don’t really want to come home this weekend." 

Her father stood up suddenly and passed a hand through his graying hair. He exhaled deeply, clearly displeased with his daughter's disagreement.  

"Why can't you ever just take instructions?!" Her father boomed, while slapping the glass table strongly, causing Sung Mi to jump. He strolled towards her and placed a hand behind her neck, squeezing her. Ha Joon watched carefully at his actions, ready to defend Sung Mi when the time came.  

"Ha Joon-ah, could you leave the two of us alone, please?" Her father asked Ha Joon.  

Sung Mi tilted her head slightly to see if Ha Joon would really leave. When he rose from his seat and left out the door, Sung Mi's heart ached, partly from being left alone and partly from the fear that came with being alone with her father.  

"I wanted to introduce someone to you this weekend." 

"Who?" Sung Mi asked. 

"Someone of whom I've grown fond." 

Sung Mi smirked. "So soon after Mom died?" She glared at her father.  

"Don’t act like I haven't mourned too." 

Suddenly, Sung Mi stood up and stared at her father head-on. "I will not be coming home this weekend, for any reason." 

"Oh, yes you will." He raised his arm and slapped her against her cheek, The stinging came first, but the adrenaline helped ease the pain for now. "You never learn, do you?" He striked her again. Sung Mi fell to the ground but maintained glaring at her attacker.  

Then, the office door flew open and Ha Joon took in the scene, before running straight to Sung Mi's side. "Let's go," Ha Joon whispered. He stood up, raising Sung Mi with him.  

"I will not be coming home this weekend. Move on with your own life but don’t expect me to follow." 

Before her father could respond, the two turned their backs and exited the office.  

 

Once in the elevator, Sung Mi leaned against Ha Joon, taking in his scent. He held her face in his hands and raised her face to look at him.  

"Are you okay?" He asked, concerned. 

Sung Mi nodded and kept staring at him. She pulled his face down to hers and placed her lips onto his cheek, giving him a peck. "Thank you." 

Ha Joon smiled at her and said, "Any time." He inspected her face but found that there was no tearing of skin, only redness.  

Before heading back to school, the two decided to enjoy their day off from school. They headed for the metro station, looking for an afternoon of spontaneity