Chapter III

My Single Aunt, Mae

Sun Young woke up from her nap and woke up feeling the soft comforter. It felt ages since she last slept on her own bed-- wait what? The last time she slept was after she finished all her chores in the big house. She felt sleepy so she went to her hut to take a nap while waiting for the others to get home and now, she’s back?

 

Sun Young opened her eyes and looked around. She’s indeed back in her present room and the sun has already set. The smell of barbecue and the sound of her uncle Chanyeol’s laughter coming from the backyard was enough to tell her that she’s back to the present. Or maybe, she didn’t go back to the past after all and maybe it was all just a dream.

 

It felt real though.

 

Sun Young was still in her own dilemma when she heard someone knock the door. She let out a raspy ‘come in’ and the door opened shortly, revealing a sad old aunt Mae. The teenager remembered their fight that afternoon and watched her aunt make her way to the bed.

“Can I talk to you for a minute, Sun Young-ah?” her voice sounded sad and Sun Young never felt so guilty in her whole life until now. Looking down in remorse, Sun Young’s eyes started to water.

“I’m sorry auntie.” she whimpered before letting the tears flow.

“It’s okay.” Aunt Mae hugged her to comfort and the niece cried even more, apologizing for her past actions and for her dream remaining just a dream and nothing else. She’s sorry because her aunt finding her true love was just a dream.

 

Moments passed and the aunt and niece ended up in the bed, watching their family members enjoy the food Aunt Mae cooked, from Sun Young’s room window.

“I really didn’t mean what I said earlier auntie.” Sun Young sniffled. “I love you.” she added before blowing her nose making the old lady laugh.

“I know that, Sun Young. And auntie Mae loves you too.” she responded before she gasped, remembering something.

Sun Young, startled from her aunt’s gasp looked at her side. “What?”

“I have something for you.” the old lady said before taking off an old gold pendant and put it on her niece. “This is a very important treasure of mine and I’d like you to have it Sun Young. Maybe it’ll help you find your true love because the magic didn’t work on me after all.” she told and Sun Young took a moment to look at the pendant which turns out to be a small locket.

 

“Are you sure you want to give it to me and not Jongin?” Sun Young asked and the old lady pinched her cheek chuckling.

“Do you really think that 10 year old cousin of yours would wear a heart shape golden locket?” she asked and Sun Young laughed before shaking her head.

“Thanks auntie. I’ll treasure it.” she said and held the locket securely.

 

*****

 

“I hate school. AHHH!” she groaned and threw her things on the ground before plopping her body under the shade of the biggest tree on the school yard. Classes were very stressful these days and she hated eating at the canteen. She didn’t need to go there anyways. Her aunt would always pack her and her best friend, Sehun, a healthy lunch and both of the would eat it together under the tree in peace.

Today’s an exception though because Sehun called in sick and was under bedrest for the next three days, leaving her alone to eat lunch.

 

“Stupid Sehun getting sick.” she mumbled to herself before opening the lunch box and started eating. She has always loved eating outside quietly and today, she appreciated the view the yard has to offer without Sehun around.

 

Sehun can be a bit demanding for attention sometimes and would prank her sometimes when she’s not paying attention to him. Her classmates were saying that Sehun has a huge crush on her since middle school but Sun Young always denied the statement despite of the blush on her face.

And even though she doesn’t want to admit it, she missed the stupid jerk.


 

“Eating lunch alone, Miss Choi?” Sun Young looked up to see the school’s principal smiling down at him. Gathering the mess around her, the student gave the principal space to sit on just in case and he took the silent offer.

“Nae, Mr. Principal.” she said, still putting some of her things that sprawled on the grass field.

“Don’t you like the new canteen? It’s air conditioned and there’s the flat screen TV everyone wanted.” the old man asked and Sun Young shook her head, trying not to frown at the thought of staying in a chaotic place the principal mentioned.

“I prefer getting fresh air and a peace and quiet here, sir.” she replied making the principal laugh heartily.

“That’s a surprise. Kids these days. Always wanting the newest things.”

“Yeah. The majority does.” the student could only add that before continuing her lunch. The principal watched her eat smiling before he noticed the familiar lunch box.

 

It was filled of healthy foods, a line of omelette and white rice in another box. Just like how Mae would pack her lunch everyday back then.

 

Sun Young, seeing the principal space out as he looked at her lunch blinked. “Is there something wrong, sir?” she asked making the old man look up and notice the small locket on her neck.

 

“That locket…” he pointed and the student looked down at the jewelry before smiling.

“Oh this? My aunt gave this to me. We had a fight recently and she gave this to me when made up.” she said touching the locket.

“May I take a look?” he asked and Sun Young, confused at the sudden request, nodded her head and took off the locket before giving it to the principal. She watched the old man hold the necklace dearly before smiling sadly.

 

“Mae.”

 

Hearing her aunt’s name, Sun Young gaped. Maybe, it wasn’t a dream after all. Maybe, she did went back in time and maybe, her Aunt Mae did met her first love.

 

“Do you perhaps know my aunt, Principal Kim? Ahn Mae is her name, sir.” What was the name of the principal again? Sun Young never remembered but she prayed to the heavens her hunch is right.

“She...she’s my first love.” the principal said, blushing. Sun Young should’ve found it gross but she found it cute. “I gave her this before I went to serve in the military.” he told smiling at their old memories. “But then, she was gone when I finished service. I tried finding her but my parents got sick. Life called and I...couldn’t.” she heard him say sadly and Sun Young gave him a comforting smile, excited to take her aunt for the family day. Yes, she’s definitely taking Aunt Mae with her.

 

*****

 

“So that’s where I got my name?” Sun Young asked as they drive their way to school.

“Hahaha! Yeah! We had a helper back then when I was five. She and your aunt Mae were very close. She even tried to help unnie go back to school but she suddenly disappeared and unnie had to stop because of the family crisis.” Krystal, Sun Young’s mom, told. “Sun Young is a great unnie. So we decided to name you after her.” she added and the teenager was amazed. She’s named after her after all.

And she, indeed, travel through time.

“Mae Unnie will come with your uncle Chanyeol. Your uncle Minseok will drive them. Just wait for them in front of the gates, ne?” her mom said and Sun Young nodded before going out of the car. She waved her mom goodbye and watched the car go as she waited for her aunt and uncles.


 

Five minutes later, Sun Young’s aunt and uncles arrived and they all went inside the campus, Sun Young, clinging on her aunt forever.

“So what happened after uncle Jongdae left?” Sun Young asked and the old woman found herself blushing. Luckily, the two uncles were busy comparing how their old high school has changed to notice them or they would’ve teased their noona for blushing.

“When I had to leave school due to dad getting sick, he had to leave to serve back then. He gave me the locket and promised to look for me when he finished but fate never let us meet and before we knew it, we’re old.” Aunt Mae told and Sun Young grinned widely.

“But there’s nothing too late about love. Both of you can continue where you left.” The young lad said and beamed when she saw the man who’s familiar to both of them, standing next to the committee tent with his cane. Sun Young waved excitedly at the old man and Aunt Mae looked away with a smile, blushing.



“Uncle Jongdae!”