Eclipse

Not In Love

I don't really know how we got there. I mean, I know which path we took and how much time we spent riding into the woods, until we got lost. But there, lying on the ground, our bodies pointing at different directions and our heads glued together, I was so close that I could hear his breathing. And I could swear, hearing him breathe was the most amazing thing in this world. It was so dark, there were no streetlights or cars nearby, there was nothing. We were completely lost, yet not even freaking out about it. I liked that very much... 

"We're like the eclipse," said Sehun, his eyes staring intently into the nightsky, the stars were too shiny and the moon was almost reachable. He reached out a hand, as if he was touching the surface of the moon and it reminded me of everything I saw in him, everything worth seeing, him entirely.

"Really? And why is that?" I asked calmly, my hands were itching to reach out and touch his hand, as if this was a romantic moment, but I had to keep reminding myself that he was in a very complicated situation and that he didn't love me, as he once said himself.

"There is this legend were the Sun and the Moon are in love," he took a long pause and my heart raced at his voice pronouncing the word love, because I would never even expect to hear that from him. Then he continued "But they could never meet, because the Moon would rise when the Sun would set. And then came God, with all His mighty power. He created the eclipse, so the Moon and the Sun could meet once in a while." The longer I heard him breathing between the words, as if he was trying to make a point with all of this, the longer my heart would beat faster. These were romantic words and I couldn't believe I was hearing them from his quiet voice, like a whisper. "You know, we're not in love. But we sure do feel attracted to each other."

I felt his eyes laying on me, but I didn't have the guts to look at him. "We're not in love," those words kept repeating themselves in my head like a broken CD, until they had no meaning. I felt my heart being pierced with a million knives, my eyes were about to let some tears drop and all I could do was smile. It wasn't a satisfied smile, nor that kind of smile someone would use to cover up pain. It was just a simple smile... no meanings behind. But I had to admit that he was right about everything... 

"Hyung...?"

"Luhan hyung."

His voice calling out my name was the best thing... It could cheer me up from a really bad day. I kept looking at the sky, it was so shiny with stars scattered around the darkness of the night, I wanted an answer too... I wanted to know what I was feeling, I wanted to stop feeling... But I just couldn't. I reached out my hand to hold his in between my fingers, taking part of the ridiculous yet unique scene before me. I held it so tightly... I wish this could be easier. When I finally had the courage to face him, he was looking at our hands, there was a smile on his lips and I could swear I saw a sparkle in his eyes. 

"I would die in order to see you rise," my words sounded like a whisper, quoting another legend regarding the eclipse beliefs. He looked at me with his sparkly eyes and bright smile, I knew this was going to happen just once in our entire life and not in a special astronomical event. I wasn't smiling this time, my eyes were gazing into his, trying to look for answers for our complicated situation. If I could, I'd stop time and have this precious moment with me forever, but that would be selfish... 

I wasn't in love, I just wanted to protect him. But maybe it wouldn't be so bad to kiss his lips once in a while and hear his voice calling out my name, just one more time. However, just like he said, the attraction was clearly there. It's just that we couldn't be together, not anymore.