II. When the Day Met Night

The Ballad of Bae Suzy

 

An hour passes and he learns the following things about her; her name is Suzy, she is 18, two years his junior. She goes for 50 an hour but she’s letting him have a discount, and she doesn’t smile. But she doesn’t frown.

Suzy learns that his name is Myungsoo, he is 20, 2 years her senior. He’s overwrought with emotion and smiles too much. He frowns too much too.

-

Sometimes Suzy stays over for two nights, costing Myungsoo a bit more, but he doesn’t mind.

Usually, they sit together on his bed and Suzy listens to him. She listens to him talk about anything. Dogs, love, life, death, caterpillars, anything you could think of. She doesn’t say much back a lot of the time; it’s not her job.

Once in a while, Suzy will have been bought by someone else before Myungsoo gets to see her. But sometimes, he’ll come back later in the night and he’ll see her, standing in the street corner of 14th and 1st.

-

Suzy is a friend to Myungsoo. Myungsoo is a client to Suzy.

“I’m sorry you’re here. Not making your money the way you want to..or need to,” Myungsoo says to her one night.

“It’s okay. There’s nothing wrong with just a taste of what you paid for.”