I. Mad As Rabbits

The Ballad of Bae Suzy

 

They end up going to his house, or that’s what she assumes. The house is spacious, a chandelier dangling in the middle of the living room. She still doesn’t say anything to him, but he opens his mouth.

“You know why you’re here?”

“You want from me.”

He chuckles and she thinks she’s just heard an angel whisper in her ear.

“No, I don’t. I want your company.”

She stands there, in front him, with a baffled look on her face and he smiles softly; she feels her knees go weak.

“Look, just follow me,” he says, the smile on his face slowly fading. He takes her hand and her face stays cold as stone but the butterflies in her stomach won’t stop fluttering.

He leads her to his room, she assumes. It smells heavily of cologne, nothing like what a normal client of hers would have. There are trinkets lined up on his desk, a few action figures and empty cans of soda.

Before she knows it, he’s sitting at the edge of his bed, patting the spot next to him. She takes that as the gesture for her to sit down, so she does. She pulls her mini-dress down a bit, showing off her cleavage. But he doesn’t stare unlike the other men; instead he stays looking at her face.

“So, tell me why I’m here again,” she says, speaking first.

“You’re here to keep me company.”

“No ?”

He smiles.

“No .”

And for the first time of the night, she is relieved.

“Get comfy,” he says. “You’ll be here for a while.”

“You still have to pay me.”