99 Cliches Don't Lead To A Fairytale

Please Subscribe to read further chapters

Description

Choi Jinri is the anti-fairytale heroine in the harsh reality of real life. We all know life's way more cruel to give you a simplistic happy ending- and Jinri's convinced she just got the short end of the stick.
 
Reality #2: My guy best friend has been there for me since he defended me from playground bullies and played my husband in "Family" and knows about me more than anyone else and I am convinced that we are a match made in heaven. We are both mutually in love and will get together anytime soon.
 
Expectation #2:  My guy best friend has been stuck with me since we were literally bosom buddies bouncing side by side hitched up on our mothers' shoulders in designer baby chest strap-ons, sobbing and wetting our mums' shirts with snot and tears while they tried to go for retail therapy together. And we're still stuck together because our mums are still best friends. It's no issue to me since I don't exactly have a huge throng of people clamouring to hang out with me. We are the least likely pair ever to get together, not in the cliche opposites-attract or like-attract-attract like way, but really just too different.
Except that I do wish for it to happen one day.

 

So here's the big deal about me and my best friend Baekhyun. As best friends go, we're pretty dysfunctional. What do you expect when you have a male for a best friend? According to my other best friend, (who's a female) Krystal, who has sass in every single organelle in her body, there are only ever 2 types of male best friends for female.

 

1. The proper male best friend who's like an elder brother and looks out for you, to the envy of every other girl out there, usually hot and boasts of ripped deltoids and pectorals or at least has a sentimental gentlemanly soul.

 

2. The male-but-actually-female-deep-down-or-on-the-exterior best friend who has more appeal and can flirt better than you, has better fashion taste and generally is just a female in a boy's body.

 

Byun Baekhyun is obviously the latter. He wants to study fashion design as a major and is always mocking my taste in clothes and my lack of discipline in dieting and general ineptitude in being female, period. He hangs out with Krystal as well but she doesn't get the same flak as me, but it's because she's immaculate without a single flaw for Baekhyun to poke fun at. Also because she's the most popular and envied girl in school, just like how Baekhyun's the It Boy who everyone wants to be friends with. 

 

Me? I'm just Jinri. Tall, awkward baby-faced Jinri who intimidates boys by my statuesque height. So why am I best friends with the most popular duo in school? Good question.

 

I don't want to brag, although to me it isn't bragging since it isn't even due to my own credit, but my family is one of the most influential and wealthy in Gangnam, similar to Baekhyun's and Krystal's, and our parents are all our friends, leading to us being introduced at the start of the school term and hitting it off. I'm the awkward and boring one who keeps the two of them high-fliers down to earth and reminds them that there is homework and that no, they can't cut class to try out Baekhyun's new Audi convertible and yes, Krystal, it doesn't mean that girl who glanced in your direction and didn't smile is going to be on your Target List (don't ask, Krystal isn't considered a tigress for nothing.)

 

You'd think that they're mean, stuck-up people, but at least to me they're not. They're my only friends in school, anyhow. I spend most of my time with my nose in the books since I'm determined to make it to medical school, which Baekhyun and Krystal shudder at. Baekhyun wants to be a runway fashion designer and Krystal is already considering signing with various model and acting agencies. Yeah, we're about as similar as chalk and cheese.

 

So anyway, what was I talking about? 

 

Yes, Baekhyun. I fit the absolute cliche of an awkward nerd with my looks and personality alone and here's one more to add to the ever-growing list- I think, most unfortunately, I have a crush on Baekhyun. 

 

Something which was never supposed to happen.

 

Cue the biggest mistake of my life.

 
 
Reality #8: Awkward Nerdy Girl goes on blind date #5 with the Quintessentially Perfect Man, magically impresses him with her down-to-earth looks and demure mannerisms because he is a Good Guy who can See Through Ugliness for Inner Beauty.
 
Expectation #8:  I am set up on a date with arguably the most eligible bachelor on campus who can sing, cook and is slated to be the year's valectdictorian. He is unarguably a Perfect Man with good manners to boot.
But then I had the insensitivity to tread, in my awkward and mousy way, onto the only thing that would wound Do Kyungsoo's calm, unyielding pride - his narrow shoulders. 
Releasing a side of him I, together with the entire school population, didn't ever know existed.
 
What was that I said earliest about the biggest mistake of my life?
 
Scrap that.
 
 
Starring
Choi Jinri, Awkward Nerd Girl  Miracle Waiting To Happen
 
Krystal Jung, The Fairy Godmother Gorgeous It Girl Best Friend
Byun Baekhyun, The Soulmate  It Boy Best Friend
Do Kyungsoo, Mr Perfect Eligible Bachelor Devil Spawn!!!!!!!!!!

Foreword

Basically quinnstar on crack

quinnstar
I miss sulli