Chapter 2- Recognition

The stormwielder-HIATUS

It hurt. Like hell. She was standing near the book shelves in her uncle's study, reading the titles avoiding to look at his eyes. The same shape and colour as her father's. The eyes she saw this morning and won't be seeing for quite some time now.

„ Catherine? Are you listening to me?“  She slightly jumped up at her uncle's questioning tone and nodded not looking directly at him. She couldn't handle it right now. She looked at a title of the big brown book in front of her. It seemed old and the title was slightly bleached out. She leaned her head and read the title without a sound. The history of wielding.

„  I know it must be painful for you, Catherine, everything you had to leave behind to come here. But we are your family too, and we all want to make it the best possible situation we can.“ Her uncle's voice was gentle and silent and she felt guilty for not even being able to look him straight in the eye. She breathed deep finally turning completely to him, leaning on the wall with her arms crossed on her chest.

„ I am aware of that and I am grateful for taking me in, uncle. I am grateful for your protection, even tough hiding someone like me can bring only...“

„ Joy. We need another woman in this house, my wife is going crazy with the boys. This is not a favour Catherine, this is a privilege. I miss my brother and I am thrilled to have you here instead of him.“ Catherine managed a small smile on her face looking at her uncle's handsome face behind his glasses. His sharp jaw reminded her of  Sehun and the twins even tough they have clearly taken after her very beautiful aunt when it came to the looks department.

„ Thank you, uncle. I am just hoping to stay here without any nuisance.“ Or trouble. He lifted his eyeglasses higher on his nose and tapped his fingers over the sculpture on the table.

„ I hope Sehun will help you with the school. Your Korean is good and taking into consideration you were in the advanced program in the States I am confident you can be excellent here as well.“ Catherine played with her thumb rings just like she always did when she was thinking about something seriously.

„ I asked Sehun to keep his distance from me in the school. If they are really after me, they will look closely at you, at him. I can't allow myself to get noticed or any of you to get hurt. If I could live on my own and not put you in danger I would. But I know I am not ready or safe enough here on my own. Yet.“ He raised his eyebrows and sat down looking at her.

„ You are just as smart as I remember, Catherine. If that's going to reassure you I suppose you can distance yourself. But I will be putting few people around the school anyway, to keep an eye on you.“ Catherine jumped up shaking her head.

„ No, please. I need to be unnoticed and people might notice a couple of guards around the school. Only if something else happens...“ He played with his cellphone not looking at her, thinking about her words obviously deciding about it.

„ Very well, if that's going to make you comfortable I believe I can put it off for a while.“

„ Thank you.“ She barely contained her yawn as she felt the fatigue and the jet lag starting to get to her. He smiled widely at her when he saw how tired she was.

„ Go on, go to bed, we can talk tommorow after school. I just have to ask you about your powers. What will you do with them? You unnerved the air quite a bit when you came here.“

„ I am not going to actively use them uncle. I will try to get accustomed to the air soon so it doesn't react to me and draw unnecesary reaction.“

„ And the other aspects of your power?“

„ They are not as concerning as air. I believe I can keep them under my control.“ At least she ing hoped she could. He stood up and escorted her to the door, his hand gently placed on her shoulder. He suddenly turned around and grabbed the book from the shelf  that she looked at, giving it to her.

„ I think you might find it interesting. Now go. You need to get some rest for school tomorrow. Good night.“ She  nodded at him and smiled closing the door after herself. Then she breathed deep and went to the left wing of the villa where her room was. The villa was enormous, much bigger than her house in the States and that wasn't small to start with. It had a garden, a walking path, a pool in the back yard and a tennis court in the vicinity. Also, as she noticed walking down the hall nodding at the people on her path, the Oh residence had a lot of servants too. No wonder Sehun was so spoiled when she first met him. Ok, who is she kidding, he is even worse now. She walked up the stairs and found herself in front of her room without getting lost more than once, which was quite a feat. She opened the door and saw her bratty cousin lying on her bed playing with her cellphone. He barely glanced at her.

„ What the hell did you talk so long about? The economic crisis?“ She scoffed closing the door loudly at him narrowing her eyes at him.

„ What are you doing here Sehun? I clearly remember your mother telling me your room was on the far left of the wing.“ He just shrugged his shoulders and pouted his lips at her.

„ Every room in the house is my room. Including this one.“ She crossed her arms and rose her eyebrows at him, with an amused smile on her face.

„ Oh, is that so? Maybe I should let your mother know that,  I am sure she would just love to hear it.“ He wiggled her tongue at her.

„ Snitch.“ She sighed and pulled his feet, throwing the book next to him.

„ Sehun I am tired. I want to go have a shower and then go to sleep. I will deal with your spoiled snarky remarks tomorrow. And leave my damn phone alone.“ He pulled his feet up, still not putting her phone down.

„ I need to crack this.“ Catherine snapped her fingers and a rush of electricity rushed suddenly at his feet causing him to jump up and away with eyes open in horror.

„ Yah, noona, are you crazy?! You told me you wouldn't use your powers!“ She patted him on the back with a wide smile.

„ I won't. Unless you provoke me.“ She took the cellphone from him and unlocked it, going towards the shower. Three missed calls. She is going to hear hell for this from her.

„ It seems your boyfriend called you.“

„ I have 6 of them for every day of the week except Sunday. But today is Sunday and that's my resting day. They can wait. Even if it is Johnny Deep.“ Sehun laughed behind her.

„ Like hell  it is.“ She went into her bathroom and started the shower, getting the water just right.

„ Noona.“ She heard him calling her and she turned around to him, confused by the sudden calm in his voice.

„ What I said today is true. The boys in my school are very intuitive. They will notice your presence.“ She sighed, leaning on the bathroom door.

„ Can you do some of your tricks when they are around me for a while? So they don't suspect I am anything special.“ He nodded snapping his fingers causing a slight breeze in the room.

„ I could. But your emotions are getting to you noona. The air is unstable around you and I won't be there all the time to save your .“ Oh, for s sake!Fine. I'll do it.

„ Fine, I'll start the recognition process tonight before I go to sleep. And I will only do it here when your presence covers for mine.“ He nodded now leaning on the door.

„ Also, I forgot to mention you have to introuduce yourself in couple of sentences tomorrow at the beginning of every class. And you have to wear a uniform.“ Catherine widened her eyes at him slowly shaking her head.

„ An uniform? Seriously, what is this a camp for political prisoners?“

„ Korea is different.  But I am sure you will enjoy it.“ He smirked at her causing her to throw a pillow at him.

„ Out, Sehun. See you tomorrow.“

„ So are you giving me a ride?“

„ We can't be seen going together, Sehun.“ He shrugged his shoulders.

„ Just leave me close to the school. After all you need me to show to you where it is.“

„ Fine, I'll be your chaufer for tomorrow.“

„ And you will buy me bubble tea.“ Catherine snapped her fingers at him again causing him to open the door quickly afraid of another electric shock. He stopped at te sight in front of the door and smiled quickly to his mother .

„ Eomma, I was just sharing some last minute information with noona.“ His mother looked at him with suspicion in her eyes.

„ Right.“ Then she turned to Catherine and smiled.

„ There is someone who want to tell you good night.“ Catherine smiled as she saw the 9 year old twins hiding behind their mother glancing at her shyly.

„ Good night boys. Sleep tight.“ One boy chuckled and moved away and the other blushed looking at her.

„ Good night, noona.“ The one who chuckled suddenly spoke still peaking from behind his mother.

„ Is it true you can control rain and thunder also?“ Their mother snapped at him.

„ Jin Wook! What did I see about those questions?“ Catherine smiled at him and winked.

„ Perhaps. If you are good boy and listen to your mother maybe I can show you some day.“ His face lit up just like his brothers.

„ Really? That would be super cool!“ Their mother rolled her eyes at them and yanked Sehun by the hand.

„ We are going to leave you alone, Catherine, I know you are tired. Come on boys. Leave your cousin alone. You especially, Sehun.“ The smaller versions of Sehun giggled and nodded before running away and Sehun lazily rolled his eyes at his mother, who was shorter than him but her face was like a porcelain dool's, that could seem cold on the first glance but that all changed when she smiled and she had the same wide smile as her oldest son.

„ Yeah, eomma, I am going. See you soon, noona.“ He smirked walking away and his mother hit him slightly on the head and he cursed mumbling in his chin.

„ I will wash your mouth with soap young man!“ She turned to her and smiled apologetically.

„ I am sorry for that. After time you just get used to them. Have some pills for headaches around, just in case.“ Catherine smiled widely.

„ No, they are adorable, no worries.“

„ I will leave you then, I know you must be tired.“ Catherine smiled until the door closed and then she sighed looking at her cellphone. She took of her clothes and threw the cellphone on the bed and walked over to the shower.She let herself stay ten minutes longer than usual under the water enjoying the warmth before she finally got out, looking at her reddish skin and dark bags under her eyes. All the Korean boys will be fawning over her in no time. She dried her hair with a towel and pulled her long shirt over her head and short pants on her pale legs, stumbling out of the  bathroom and going for the phone. She finally unlocked it and called her boyfriend, aka her best friend Lizzy.

„ .“  The first word that was heard on the other side made Catherine giggle a little, when she threw herself on the bed playing with her wet hair, trying to untangle it with her fingers.

„ I am tired as hell Lizzy and I have jet lag. Not in the mood.“

„ Oh, it so sweet that you think I care.“ Her best friend scoffed at the other side, and she could imagine her smirk and felt the yearning in her heart. She didn't want to imagine it. She wanted to see it.

„ Yeah, nevermind that.“ Lizzy stopped on the other side waiting for a moment.

„ So, how is it?“ Catherine sighed lifting her hand and looked at the black nail polish which was peeled from her middle finger. Because you use it too much, Kitty. That's what Lizzy would say to her if she was there.

„ It's different. But they are very nice to me taking into consideration they just took in a ticking time bomb.“

„ And the wielding?“ Lizzy asked and Catherine could imagine her biting her thumb nail waiting for her response, her wild curly blond hair around her face and her light green eyes  while she was messing with whatever plant that was in her jungle of a room. Lizzy was also a wielder she met in kindergarten, and she had quite an affinity with nature. She could communicate with plants and make them do what she wanted. She was almost like the Poison Ivy but without the y costume and red hair. And Batman.

„ It's .....different. I am going to start recognition tonight.“

„ Hoe, you've gotta be kidding me. You will not do that tonight.“

„ I have to. It's reacting to me uncontrollably. Everything is reacting to me. Even thunder and rain. I promised them I wouldn't use my powers here and taking into consideration that I almost blew away the airport when I came here I am pretty sure time is of the essence.“ Lizzy sighed on the other side and whistled silently.

„ Jesus, hoe, that . But you sound tired and ed up and opening your senses like that....It can up.“

„ Tell me about it, sailor girl.“ Jesus, she was swearing even more than usual. She looked at the clock on her night stand and sighed.

„ I have to go. School is tomorrow morning. And get this I have an uniform in my closet. With a skirt. I have to wear a skirt, Lizzy.“ Lizzy laughed on the other side.

„ Girl, I hope that's the biggest problem you will have.“

„ Knowing my luck, hell no.“

„ I'll call you tomorrow with scary news from Korea nightmare school.“

„ Don't forget it girl, or I swear to God I will fly there and whoop your .“

„ I always knew you wanted to touch it.“

„ You know it .“ They both laughed and then Lizzy spoke up again.

„ I already miss you, Kitty. I want you to come back soon.“

„ Not more than me. I am going now.“

„ Bye, hoe.“ Catherine put her Metallica playlist to the loudest as she got up and went outside to the balcony. She breathed the night air deep looking up at the sky and then glancing down seeing the lights in the garden. She slowly sat down and crossed her legs, breathing deep. The sound of the Unforgiven calmed her down. It was amazing that she listened to metal and rock when she was in the zone, while her brother listened to Chopen and Vivaldi. So different. They were always so different. Her heart echoed the pain she felt for weeks now and she barely stopped herself from letting the pain get to her. Not now. She relaxed her muscles and closed her eyes trying to calm herself, concentrating to the sound of her heartbeat and the music that played in the background, slowly getting herself in the zone. She wasn't there for weeks now and the familiar feeling of whirlwind started taking over her. She slowly opened up her senses and felt the air around her move, swirl, and react to her, attacking her. The particles were unnerved by her strong presence, not accustomed to her and she had to make them accept her, to become one with her. She left herself vulnerable allowing the air to recognise her strength and presence, to get to know her, her fears, her emotions, her thoughts. Her heart started beating faster as it swirled around her, picking up the strands of her wet hair and the hem of her shirt making her shudder in the coldness. But she didn't consciously move, knowing this was her only chance to do it right. The air grew wilder around her in reaction to her frustrations she buried deep and her feelings that she didn't acknowledge enough, making her hair wave around her trying to test her limits, and it peeked when it created a small vortex of in front of her, the incarnation of those feelings.

At the same time electricity started to grow around her, snapping in her ears and passing through her palms while clouds started to gather above her, growing dark and covering the stars. Oh , they reacted to her also. Suddenly thunder was heard above her and raindrops started to fall while lightning  broke out out of her palms for a second. She felt the surge of power in her and realised she had missed that feeling so much, the feeling of being the strongest.Uncontrollable. She opened her eyes and she knew they were growing darker. No. Recognition. Not a fight. Catherine breathed out and touched the vortex in front of her with her electrifying palms dragging it closer to her chest and pressing it into her body and the air split up and shook around her making her tremble. She breathed out violently, feeling the heartbeat in her ears and the sweat on her lips, as she breathed quickly. Suddenly it all stopped and she layed down for a moment, trying to collect herself. This had to be the hardest recognition she did in a very long time. And taking into consideration she started it just to make the air less jumpy around her. It ended up with her showing off her powers and getting herself recognised by all elements. And she was so tired now. She just wanted to lay down and sleep feeling drained, feeling dry. It took a lot out of her to get her control back. But it ing worked. Holy . She was accepted. She could now sense the air around her, still playing with her hair but not violent and tense anymore. She was right, Korean air was different. It was tricky and colder, much less willing to trust her but it had something L.A. air didn't. Safety. She glanced up at the sky and the dark clouds disappearing. No more rain, no more lightning, no more miniature tornados. She suddenly heard a clap above her and she looked up and saw her little cousins leaning over the balcony above her.

„ Omo! Omo! That was the coolest thing I ever saw! Noona, that was awesome.“  Tae Hyun danced above her, obviously excited when his brother pinched him.

„ Yah! Are you insane? If eomma find us....“

„ I found you.“ Suddenly she heard her aunt's voice and squeaking when the started to run away, causing their mother to yell after them.

„ I saw you monsters! Go back to bed now!“ Catherine giggled to herself, still exhausted listening to the ruckus above her when she heard Sehun's condenscending voice float to her ears.

„ Is that you holding back noona?“

„ Shut up and go to bed, brat.“

I won't use my powers. I will not risk it. Bull.“ He imitated her through the window on her left and she just snapped her fingers and heard his window close shut, and he almost got his nose hurt. Yes! It reacted! Catherine laughed hearing her cousin curse and whine and she sighed soon enough. No more play time. This was the last time she used her powers in Korea, and she is only going to continue to the recognition in the house when she is covered by the Ohs.

 „ Yaah!“ She heard  muffled yelling from the inside and smiled yawning. She got up, her legs still shaking from the surge of power and she felt so weak. She got over to the bed and threw herself at it and then cursed in every language she knew as she felt that damn book digging into her spine. She picked it up rubbing her back and opened it to on a random page.

Fire wielders-widely considered one of the most powerful weilders in the world especially the higher rank, code name angels who have the ability to purify. She turned more pages, disinterested and tired.

Space wielders-ability to break the space and time and move beyond normal people's capabilites. Known to pursue criminal careers and being very hard to control. She smiled at the criminal part and turned the pages again and it fell on one of the last pages of the book and she widened her eyes, feeling the anxiety as she read the black letters.

Stormwielders-Possibly the most powerful wielders in the world, capable of controlling more elements at once. Called unnaturals and chased trough history by everyone, including other wielders. Widely considered a loose cannon and known for causing catastrophes. They are very rare and the last known stormwielder was burnt in Salem in the 18th century, under accusations she was a witch. She closed the book abruptly refusing to continue to read it and put it down on the floor, covering herself with a blanket, looking at the light in the room. It didn't surprise her they were characterised like that. Unnaturals. Loose cannon. She knew what she was, she always did. But she will rather die than becoming someone like that in reality. She got up and turned the light off, barely resisting the urge to do it with her powers.

You are just a regular human now, Catherine Lee. Act like it.