ONE-SHOT

3 (heavily-assisted) steps to you

(btw if you haven't read Breathe, it's a supernatural setting where the four Boyfriend member that appears will have special abilities, I'll briefly state the twin's and Donghyun's because this is more Minwoo POV)

-

Minwoo tried not to beam too brightly, because every time the older has more time to himself from the work at the police force, it means more time for them.

So a simple walk through the park as Donghyun carried the groceries in one hand and held his with the other- ah, what bliss.

It seemed like yesterday when issues plagued their relationship, and Minwoo couldn't find it in him to give the older man full trust. He was way younger than Donghyun, way childish, way silly and way weak.

-


His lover had piercing sharp eyes with intellect to match his gaze. He knew the right words to say, he knew the right actions to do. A strong man with facial features so ethereal, and just the thought that they got together so easily made the opposite seem almost as simple.

So he spent every single day worrying, and every single day angsting. The surface was that he couldn't trust Donghyun, but it was more like he couldn't trust himself to keep the older by his side.

But when Youngmin told him that they were breaking up, that he found his own true love, and Minwoo should wake up and fix his own, the younger flinched.

They looked so happy- what about me?

He had no place in their family, he was just this best friend so easily casted aside. All Donghyun cared about was Kwangmin. All Youngmin cares about is Kwangmin. There was no place for him so he might as well just-

"I see a future where you and hyung are happy." Youngmin sat Minwoo down one day, the averting and puffy eyes of his best friend finally tearing some of his attention away from his twin.

Minwoo widened his eyes, almost jerked so suddenly he would have flew straight for Youngmin if not for the table between them. "...really?"

Youngmin nodded, and Minwoo gave himself a chance to wonder if Youngmin made that up-

"On one condition: You better yourself and make yourself feel worthy of him." Youngmin sighed, nudging Kwangmin. "Tell him."

"Youngmin saw your future so he asked me about your past..." Kwangmin bit his lower lip guiltily. "We...might have went through your belongings."

Minwoo scrunched his face up-

"Donghyun-hyung loves you." Youngmin cut in. "But not your lacking self-esteem."

And that hit him hard. That the facts were laid on the table and it was time to choose his play.

To call, to raise, or to fold.

-

It wasn't easy. When the twins can see the past and future, Donghyun with emotions, his little talent seemed more like a cute joke played on him.

All the squeaks of "it's okay, we're with you!" sometimes only make him feel more useless.

But that was then.

That was zero.

He tried, there was only up from all the way down, so he started with a happy chant to the mirror ten times in the morning, a little birdie to remind him of his postures and manners, another to tutor him on his lessons (because these birds have been on campus for years), he was making progress.

And then when he meets pigeons on the road and they tell him "what a fine young man that is" instead of "oh look, how cute!", his grin grew brighter.

He was changing.

So he picked up his courage, he greeted the police dogs and stray cats outside Donghyun's office, smiled sweetly to the officer at the front desk to please call Donghyun out and waited.

When Donghyun watched him and gave a small smile as a greeting, he stopped breathing.

W-What did they rehearsed?

"Pst! Your letter!" Minwoo's best bird friend whispered, sighing animatedly when the human didn't move. It pecked the fingers curled up around the letter Minwoo wrote and rewrote with one human brain and plenty non-human ones, trying to pick up the letter and fly it over to the man it was addressed to.

They fussed over his word choice, his handwriting, the spacing, the paper, hell, even the weight of the paper because apparently little birdie anticipated such a reaction, that it took over ten nights so he better give it over.

So Donghyun bowed slightly to Minwoo's friend, hearing it chirp loudly, and gave Minwoo a glance before opening the envelope. Minwoo coughed, lungs burning for air and almost regretting the words he wrote because-

"This Saturday?" Donghyun raised his head from the letter, smile more relaxed now. "Yeah, well, I don't mind going to the zoo with you."

That was one.

-

“Mommy! That guy has so many birds with him! Is he a bird trainer!” An innocent child yelled loudly, while Minwoo blushed slightly at the attention.

“Why, he must be~ That’s why he’s at the zoo, right? So he can train lots and lots of birds!” The mother cooed, then dragging the child away to look at the many more attractions in the zoo.

“I ain’t no trained by you.” Little birdie snapped, almost folding his wings but realising he needed to fly. “Tell that insolent child that I ain’t no owner trained.”

“Don’t pick fights with kids.” Minwoo replied quietly, almost perfecting ventriloquism. He smiled at the other birds that gathered around him because of his ability, letting them rest on his arm as he walked about to greet the animals.

“Well, she oughta pick someone her own size.”

“You’re smaller.”

“So I say, you need my help or not?”

“Hey, don’t back out now!” Minwoo squeaked.

“Teaches you to be nicer.” The bird almost shrugged, but kept flapping his wings to stay on Minwoo’s eye level. “What’s the date course?”

“It’s not yet a date…” Minwoo puffed his cheeks. “Just…an outing.”

“Chin up, shoulders back, spine straightened!” Little birdie chirped noisily.

“Okay, okay!” Minwoo sighed, hurriedly adjusting his posture. “So…what do you suggest, genius?”

“Well, we have quite a following of fellow birds, so let’s organise us all first. Fellow birds, this humble human begs for your help!”

Minwoo resisted rolling his eyes. His bird friend taught him that birds have a lot of pride.

(Or that because they are so small, they are only filled with one emotion at a time.)

“He’s going to bring his ex-boyfriend but- fine, fine, ex but going to be- I GET IT, future boyfriend over.” Little birdie glared at him as Minwoo continuously tugged onto his wings to incapacitate him temporarily. “So fly all around the zoo and help find out who will help this poor soul attain true love!”

The birds chattered animatedly, then dispersing into all corners of the zoo.

“It’s all up to you from here on, kiddo.” Little birdie grinned. “Whether he stays as a past tense or appear as a future tense.”

That was two.

-

So the seals gave their best talent shows, the dolphins their best songs, and the lions their loudest roar.

Donghyun had a lot of fun, surprised by how outgoing the animals were despite having no trainers in sight.

“Are you talking to them?” Donghyun laughed as two otters swam over with hands held, almost looking like they were smiling too.

“I have to actually talk to communicate, you know.” Minwoo tried a more playful comment, but it came out a bit unconfident. He felt a peck on wrist and resisted the urge to shake off his friend.

“Ah, right.” Donghyun’s smile seemed a bit conflicted, as if realising their relationship again.

A bit awkward, a bit strained.

Minwoo cursed himself internally.

“Thank you for asking me out.” Donghyun said softly as they continued on their stroll to the next location. “Haven’t really thought of relaxing but it seems like such a tempting idea from now on.”

“N-No problem. T-Thank you for agreeing.” Minwoo quickly replied, feeling another peck.

Ugh.

Donghyun smiled nervously, and Minwoo tried not to let his emotions show because anything more than what he was currently feeling, Donghyun will definitely have an inkling!

But Donghyun was now an inch closer, and only one more before their shoulders touch.

They walked to where the horses were and Minwoo blushed at what he remembered the plan to be.

So apparently, Donghyun was going to be rejected by every horse except the horse that Minwoo is going to be on so hey, want to join me?

Donghyun scratched his head and let out an awkward chuckle. “Maybe I’ll just sit out-“

The horse that rejected Donghyun nudged him towards Minwoo with a neigh. “Good luck, kiddo.”

Minwoo blushed, pretending he didn’t hear that. Donghyun was edged on by the staff and eventually joined Minwoo on his horse, almost literally breathing down the younger’s neck.

“Here’s the plan.” The horse he was on neighed. “You’re going to hold the reins and I’m going to rock you both. He’s gonna take over the reins and hug you from the back indirectly.”

Minwoo squeaked loudly, and Donghyun frantically asked if he was all right.

“Y-Yes…”

“Ready yourself, kid. It’s for your true love, so says birdie.” The horse neighed once more, then tossing his head violently and almost kicking up his front two legs.

Minwoo yelped, hurriedly holding onto the rein for fear of falling, oh my God, this horse is going to kill him!

“Relax.” And Minwoo couldn’t tell who Donghyun was talking to.

The older man then leaned against his back to counter the horse’s actions and prevent them from falling. He held the reins over Minwoo’s smaller hands calmly, using his legs to caress the horse.

“How’s it feel?” The horse teased as he neighed, as if having calmed down by Donghyun’s actions.

That was three.

-

“Minwoo.” Donghyun called out gently as they neared their destination, him walking the younger back to his school just to extend their date outing. “I…I want you to know that today was a great day for me.”

“It was great for me too.” Minwoo replied, secretly enjoying the light brushes their shoulders made as they walked side by side.

“We…we should do this again.” Donghyun bit his lower lip but quickly smiled. “Only if you have time, of course.”

And Minwoo almost burst like a bubble, nodding enthusiastically so much that he almost lost balance from the vigour.

“Actually- no.”

Minwoo’s slumped shoulders were a real cause of worry for little birdie watching from a distance-

The older man’s shadow leaned close.

“Chin up, shoulders back, spine straightened!”

Donghyun’s lips pressed gently against his, the younger naturally raising his head to adjust to the older man’s height. The hands holding his shoulders slowly fell around his small waist, and Minwoo arched his back even more as he clutched onto the older man’s shirt.

The light kiss left him giddy, and immensely happy.

“Let’s do this…a lot.”

-

Minwoo leaned closer towards Donghyun’s arm, having a silly grin planted on his face.

“Don’t make me kiss you out in public.” Donghyun chuckled, nuzzling against the top of Minwoo’s head.

“You did that before.” Minwoo giggled.

“Right, right.” Donghyun laughed. “Hm, what are those two doing?”

“What?” Minwoo asked half-heartedly, slightly annoyed that Donghyun changed topics so quickly. That was a hint!

“Over there.” Donghyun squinted his eyes, pointing at a general direction.

Minwoo groaned, about to rant about how there was no one there at all when he realised there were indeed two beings in the direction Donghyun pointed out.

Two birds he never seen before.

“What are they doing?”

Minwoo listened in carelessly, widening his eyes when he realised what was happening.

“L-Let’s leave!” Minwoo stuttered, cheeks with a glowing red tint.

“What’s happening?”

“N-Nothing!” Minwoo blushed brighter, tugging Donghyun desperately. “Hurryyyy!”

“What is it, Minwoo?” Donghyun looked amused but didn’t seem to want to budge without satisfying his curiousity. “If you don’t tell me, all I have to do is get a closer look.”

“It’s…it’s breeding season, okay!” Minwoo winced. “Do you think it’s very fun to listen to in public! Hurry!”

Donghyun laughed loudly, ruffling Minwoo’s hair.

This kid, always making him do things he’ll regret.

Minwoo froze, the lingering feeling of a soft nibble on his lips almost stopping his heart.

And a distant moan.

“AHHHH! LET’S GO HOME ALREADY!”

-

I should have named little birdie, but birds ain’t no need for fancy lil’ names, geddit?! We too proud for you human names!
Lol. I had too much fun with this /coughs/