Chapter 2

Pretty Black Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Yul, you don't understand! Why was she even at the party that night? Ugh. This is just too weird."

I am seated in front of Yuri, who is currently staring at me like I am some sort of a runaway patient from a mental hospital.

"Chill, girl. Why did I even let you go to that freaking party without me? Now you're being this crazy lady. You're freaking me out, Sica."

I glared at her in response.

"Woah. I'm kidding, okay? I have a question, though."

Yuri paused for a dramatic effect, "Is she your type?"

"I swear to God Kwon Yuri I am so done with you." I grabbed my things and stomped my way angrily to my next period, not even looking back to my probably amused best friend.

To tell you the truth, the girl's face in my dream was slowly disappearing from my memory. The weird thing is I can clearly remember her eyes. Why?

This morning, when I read the mysterious person's reply from last night, I was so shocked. The only thought on my head was, "She couldn't possibly be real." Would my thoughts be proved wrong?

"Okay, class. Please settle down." Mr. K, as what we like to call him (we don't really know his real name), grabbed his guitar and seated himself on the comfortable looking chair.

Yes, don't judge me. I chose guitar as one of my subjects. My friends, ex-friends, laughed and mocked me when they saw me carrying my heavy guitar to the school bus. They couldn't be more supportive.

We just played some notes, chords, whatever he liked. Let's face it; Mr. K gets to choose because clearly, he's the teacher.

I looked at the time and felt ecstatic that we only have 10 minutes left.

"Mr. K, can we play the song Girls Like Girls?"

My classmates laughed. I can feel them staring at me and it hurts. I can feel the tears threatening to fall so I ducked my head and clenched my fists tight. Can't the day just go by without me being the receiving end of their hurtful words? It's not fun at all.

I closed my eyes and prepared myself for my teacher's possibly hurtful words to attack me, but all I heard was this, "Never ever make a person feel bad because he or she did something courageous you guys have never done before. Do you think coming out was that easy? You don't know what pain she's been through. Heck, you don't even know her at all! So instead of saying mean things like that, just please keep your mouth shut."

I was in awe. His words were the most beautiful thing I've ever heard in my entire life. Screw the quotes I saved in my phone or the quotes I saw in Instagram. I raised my head and stared at my teacher; he gently smiled at me.

The bell rang and my dumbfounded classmates hastily left the uncomfortably silent room. I stood up on my seat and walked towards him.

"Thank you, Mr. K. I-I am just so glad and surprised that someone other than my family and friends still cares for me."

He placed his guitar down gently on its stand and motioned me to come closer. I did. He wrapped me inside his warm embrace, like my father used to when I was still a little kid. His scent though, reminds me of my grandpa when he used to carry me to bed when I fell asleep on the couch.

"Never be ashamed of who you are, Jessica. You can always come to me if you need help."

He let go after a few seconds. His greyish hair and wrinkles seemed to add to his fatherly-like gesture. I smiled at him genuinely and left the room, already feeling much better than the past few days. I just hope that things will get better from now on.

-----

I just finished dinner with my family. Mr. K's encouraging words stayed with me throughout the day and until dinner. I told everyone things about Yuri and Taeyeon. I saw relief flashed through their faces. I guess they got worried about my behavior these past few days. You know, I didn't exactly tell them about the party. How would I? I don't even know what happened. That goddamn party is ruining my life.

I went to my desk and found my Math homework sprawled out; not even one number answered. Great, just ing great. Life couldn't get any better than this.

I sat on the chair and grabbed the pencil that I use for drawing. Whatever. I tapped my pencil in a repetitive manner while still trying to figure out the answer to number one. I jumped in shock when I heard my phone beep.

20:01 Do you remember me now?

Ugh. Can't she see that I'm trying to figure this messed up Math problem? Of course she can't see. I'm so dumb. Great. Now I'm even talking to myself.

20:06 You still don't.

I can almost hear the disappointment in her voice. Wait, what?

20:10 Are you asleep? Well, goodnight.

I stared hard at my phone's screen until it turned black. She seems sad. Stupid! Why do I even care?

I threw my phone on my bed and focused on my task. "Don't think about her, don't think about her." I repeated like a mantra in my head.

I finished my homework at around 21:30. Mr. Choi, my Math teacher, surely likes to torture his students. I understood that on the very first day of our meeting.

I stretched my limbs as far as I could and yawned as big as my mouth could go. I slid under my fluffy blanket, but gasped when I felt something hard on the back of my legs. I reached around blindly trying to grasp the object. It was just my phone. I opened it and saw the text message that was sent an hour ago.

21:38 Hey

My fingers has a mind of its own. Don't blame me.

21:38 I thought you were sleeping?

She type

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter