Introduction

THE GENERATIONS: Our HOPE

WARNING: RATED FOR LANGUAGE


The Song family has just arrived at Seoul's ship port and YiFan wasn't feeling well from the motion of the ship caused by the huge waves. He ran into the washroom and puked into the toilet bowl, constantly checking that he wouldn't be puking anymore before cleaning himself up and went back to his parents, paled and covered in cold sweats. *Why did we come to Korea? Why can't we stay in China with Wai Po (grandmother)?* He thought. Mr. Song has asked LuHan to take care of YiFan as well as their belongings while his wife and he were to complete their arrival documents. “Di Di (younger brother), how are you feeling?” YiFan just kept quiet. Soon later, their parents returned from the office and searched for their hometown friend who had been staying in Seoul for a couple of years. Their friend worked as a chauffeur for the Nams, one of the richest families in Seoul. Despite of being one of the richest families, they allowed him to drive their luxurious car to fetch the Songs. “Hao-ge (Brother Ho), my boss has arranged for you to stay in one of their houses that will be right beside mine. He has also arranged for you to work under his company. Your monthly wage will be about 10 thousand won. If you need anything, I’m just right next door. I’ve gotten your family a book to learn Korean language and if you need help, I’ll be glad to help you.” Mr. Song thanked his hometown friend and chatted about how life was in China and how life would be in Seoul. YiFan wasn’t happy about living in South Korea, he wasn’t happy about how they had left grandmother under their no-good aunt’s care. He was finding a way to get out of South Korea and back to China where he would be able to take care of his grandmother, even if it meant for him to go through all that puking again. “YiFan, are you okay? Do you need to see a doctor?” Mrs. Song asked her youngest son worriedly. Instead of answering, he ignored and pretended to sleep. He was jealous about his soon-to-born sister ever since she hasn’t been able to play with him. He was the youngest and when everyone were concerned and anticipated for his sister to be born, he felt that people had betrayed him. As they’ve arrived at the Nams, LuHan gently shook YiFan to wake him up. He opened his eyes and got off the car. As they walked in, the Songs were awed by the huge living room that greeted them, followed by the Nam couple. They were standing there, gesturing for Mr. Jiang to help them translate their greetings. “Welcome to Seoul, my name is Nam TaeHyun and this is my wife, Jung SooYeon. I’m delighted to have you here. If you need anything, just call us or ask Mr. Jiang for help.” Mr. Song thanked him and introduced themselves back. Mr. Nam invited them for a dinner and they all went to the dining hall. He called the servants to get his sons, Jinhwan, Jiwon and Hanbin, ready for dinner. Halfway through their main course, Mrs. Song felt a pang of pain in her lower abdomen and something running down her thighs. It was her water bag that has burst. Mr. Nam called his family doctor to rush down immediately and Mrs. Nam has brought her to their room to get ready to give birth to their baby daughter. Minutes later, rushing footsteps were heard and in went the family doctor. The guys were worrying while waiting outside, all but one. A couple of hours later, they brightened up as they heard a baby cry. It was when a new addition to the Songs family has arrived. “What are you gonna call her, Minji-ssi?” Mrs. Nam asked in whispers, keeping her squeals under her tongue. “Song Jie Min (Song Jae Min).”

Mrs. Nam carried JaeMin out as Mrs. Song was left to rest in their room. She handled the baby girl to her own father and everyone crowded around to look at her. YiFan wasn’t, in fact, he didn’t want her to be in this world. He went into the room, shocked. There were cottons covered with blood, his mother’s face was covered with droplets of sweat. That made his icy cold heart melts and softens. He walked out of the room and towards his sister, in the arms of their father. “Do you want to carry her?” He nodded, awkwardly. When she was finally in his arms, JaeMin smiled *She’s beautiful.* and nothing meant more to him than his baby sister.

Jinwoo went to work while Bom stayed at home to take care of her eldest son, YunHyeong, and her triplets: ChaeRim, AeRi and SooJi. She was also expecting with her baby son. YunHyeong helped his mother to wash the dishes and kept their dry laundry in before it started raining. Both Jinwoo and Bom were teachers of a prestigious middle school and fell in love when Bom just joined and Jinwoo was given a task to help her. They got married early and already have 4 children, coming to 5. Just then, YunHyeong heard his mother calling for him and ran into the room. “YunHyeong, call for ChaeRin ahjumeoni (Aunt). I’m going to give birth.” He dashed out and cycled all the way. The path was filled with sharp, broken glasses. The wheels of his bicycle were punctured and he had to go through that road to reach ChaeRin’s house. Not wanting to waste his parents’ money, he took his shoes off and ran across the deadly road, feet both were cut and pierced. Minutes later, he arrived and cried out for ChaeRin. “ChaeRin ahjumeoni, my mother’s going to give birth! Ahjumeoni!” Not long after that, ChaeRin came out and got a shocked look on her face. “Omo! YunHyeong, your feet are pierced with broken glasses and bleeding! You should’ve taken the other route; I’ll treat your feet after we’re done with your baby brother.” She got all the items needed and took a safe shortcut to the Kim’s house. While ChaeRin was helping Bom with the birth of the new baby, YunHyeong was taking care of his triplet sisters as he waited anxiously. In a few hours, he heard a baby crying and ran into the room. He saw his baby brother wrapped in a fresh towel and in the arms of their mother. “YunHyeong, this is your brother. His name is… ChanWoo.”

ChaeRin left the Kim’s house after she has treated YunHyeong’s feet. She told SeungHoon about the Kim’s baby but he shouted at her for being a busybody. SeungHoon was a gambler who was in deep debts with the illegal moneylenders. To repay his debts, he worked for the moneylenders by getting those who owed the moneylenders money to pay back or he would lead a group of hooligans to burn their housings. After repaying one, he would do the same thing for the others that lent him money. Right now, he has none as no moneylenders would want to be caught by the policemen. ChaeRin was arranged to married SeungHoon as her father didn’t have money to pay the moneylenders so he ‘gave’ his daughter to SeungHoon as interest. ChaeRin didn’t hate her father or SeungHoon as he treated her quite well when she just got married to him. However, she did get annoyed by the fact that he relied on her for money as she was working as a midwife and earned about a thousand won to get some food for the family. “, where is the money?” She knew exactly what he wanted to do with it, gamble. “The Kims did not have the money at home so they told me to add it to the accounts and they will pay me by the end of this month.”
“Don’t you try to hide the money from me, you better give me the ing money or you’ll get hell from me.” He pulled her hair and snarled at her. “If I don’t see the money by tonight, I’ll send dirty bastards to have a night with you.” That was how he threatened her and even though she didn’t believe he would do that, she couldn’t hide the fact that she was scared it might really happen. He left to hit on some hookers and she quickly took out a thousand won from a pouch that she hid in the rice sack and placed it on the mini cabinet. She looked at the clock and quickly cooked some vegetables and rice before walking to the Kang’s house to bring Eunji, Donghyuk and Junhoe home. “Sorry for troubling you, Mrs. Kang. I hope my kids didn’t create any mess in your house.”

“No worries, Mrs. Lee. Your children were very quiet and Eunji learnt calligraphy today. She tried writing her name too. Bring them early tomorrow and I’ll continue to help you.” Dara told ChaeRin before closing the doors. She cleared the calligraphy items and went to the kitchen to heat up the porridge she had prepared for her children: GaHyeon and JiHye. She has also prepared herself to feed SeolHyeon, her youngest daughter. Dara was married to Seungyoon through arranged marriage by their families in order to have closer and better relations in businesses. While Dara stayed at home to take care of their children, Seungyoon went to his father’s company to learn more and put his learnings into his work. As they did not need any extra income, Dara helped their neighbors to babysit along with her helpers.