One: Introduction

Elements
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] One [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

You take a deep breath, straightening the too-short skirt of your school uniform, then push open the door to your first period class. Class hasn’t started yet, and you are instantly bombarded by a series of loud voices and flashing colors. The classroom is in full ruckus.

Boys perch on the edges of desks, teasingly throwing pencils at girls who pretend to roll their eyes and frown. Another group of girls giggle in the back, tossing their long hair everywhere and showing off the manicures they’d gotten over the summer. One boy blasts loud hiphop music in the corner. Another pair of water mages pull the cola from their soda bottles and playfully bounce it back and forth in a game of catch.  

You gulp and hand your paperwork to the professor with a low bow. It takes a while for the professor, who is too absorbed in his phone game, to notice you. Once he does, he waves dismissively at you to take a seat, then turned back to his cell phone.

Feeling hopelessly on your own, you turn to scan the classroom. There are a few empty seats next to the water mage kids, but you avoid making eye contact with them and slink into a seat in the corner by yourself. You finger the frayed edge of your bag and wait for class to begin.

The professor yawns and glances at his watch when the bell finally rang a minute later. He glances longingly at his phone, but finally puts it down, “Ok, settle down, kids. The bell has rung. You can start by taking out your textbooks and reviewing the notes you were supposed to take for your summer homework.”

Your blood freezes in your veins. You have just enrolled in this school a few days ago, and have no idea that they had summer work. You glance around you and are dismayed to find that everyone is pulling out heavy textbooks and notebooks full of notes.

The girl next to you notices your anxious stare and nudges you, “Hey,” she whispered, “You can share my book.”

You look up to find a pretty girl with her hair in two plaits smiling at you. “Thanks,” You say, gratefully scooting your chair closer.

“No problem. Are you new here? I don’t think I’ve seen you before.”

“Yeah. I transferred here last week. My name is ___.”

“It’s very nice to meet you, ___-ssi. I’m Sooyoung.”

You smile, enthusiastic about finding someone to talk to, but before you can say anything else, the door swings open noisily. You look up in annoyance, but your breath is taken away by the sudden appearance of the stranger. Along with you, the whole classroom falls silent as well.

The pale stranger stands in the doorway for a moment, lazily leaning against the wall. He is only a few inches taller than you, but he more than makes up for his height with his overflowing confidence and charisma. Everything, from his sneakers and his loosened tie to his icy blonde hair is against the rules, yet the professor only sighs and turns back to his phone game after one quick glance.

“Late again I see, Mr. Min. Well hurry and go take your seat.”

“Sorry, overslept again,” the young man drawls, yawning widely as he walks across the room to an empty seat in the back.

As he walks past your seat, his eyes drop to your face briefly. You stare back with huge eyes. His face is as pale and finely cut as ice, and when his narrow eyes meet yours, shivers shoot down your spine. You quickly rip your eyes away, embarrassed by getting caught staring. You peek him from under your eyelashes as he slumps into his seat and immediately lays his head down on the desk.

“Who is he?” You hiss at Sooyoung.

Sooyoung smiles at you knowingly, “That’s Min Yoongi. He’s a senior and on the basketball team. Pretty cute, huh?”

You blush and duck your head, unable to reply.

Sooyoung giggles at your reaction, “Yeah, a lot of girls think so. He’s really popular. Especially since he’s part of the BTS circle.”

“BTS circle?” You repeat, blinking, “What’s that?”

Sooyoung looks surprised for a moment, “Oh, wait. I forgot that you’re new here. BTS stands for Bangtan Sonyeondan. They’re kind of like our protectors here. They’re the only full circle at this school.”

“Full circle?” You say in alarm, “They’re mages?”

“Yep! Pretty awesome, right? Yoongi-sunbae’s the only ice mage on campus. If he wasn’t so lazy all the time, his powers would come in handy. Especially in this heat,” She says, fanning herself.

Your eyes darken, “Yes. I suppose so.” And with that, you bury your face back in the textbook.

Sooyoung frowns at you for a moment, surprised by your sudden change in attitude, but she doesn’t know you well enough to mention anything.

When the bell signals the end of class, you turn to your desk partner with a huge smile, thanking her heartily for sharing her book, then ask her what her next class was. Sooyoung stares suspiciously at you, confused by your sudden change of mood, but your mood is contagious and soon Sooyoung finds herself smiling along as the two of you walk to your next class together. You seem nice enough and Sooyoung almost forgets your strange behavior at the mention of magic…

 

A week passes by and you are enthusiastic about how easily you are transitioning to this new school. You have quickly found a friend in Sooyoung, who is refreshingly cheerful and innocent. Besides your first period class, the two

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter