Sunset

A Princess Story

After the fiasco, Sandara and Jiyong were allowed to play together on the condition that Seung hyun should be there as well, which wasn't much of a condition because really, Seung hyun would rather be with Sandara than anywhere else. He served her weak sweet tea which Jiyong confessed he didn't like which Seung hyun responded that he should it up. The princess's brew that was what Jiyong called it. Light and sweet. He really didn't like it.

Which was contrary to how Jiyong felt for Sandara who was herself light and sweet. When he came to visit, it would always be Sandara reading, Sandara teaching Seung hyun, Sandara playing gayageum with her eyes closed. She was always beautiful, wearing beautiful rich robes that somehow looked like they were meant for her. But that, Jiyong thought, was to be expected. What surprised him was Sandara's quick wit in Janggi. While Seung hyun was doing his letters, Jiyong taught her to play, on the third day she almost had him beat. After that, it was always a little closer, a little sneakier.

And she never gloats. A princess never gloats.

The three of them became close friends, and one day, Jiyong realized that Seung hyun's absurd dream of Jiyong marrying the princess... Well, it sounded quite nice. Impossible but nice. What can Jiyong give to marry her? The princess who was light and sweet and also have Seung hyun, his brother in all but blood, at his side.

He could start fantasizing about it. Sandara on his left, Seung hyun on his right. He didn't even need to be king or anything. Just them.

He sighs while laid down on the grass with the princess and her dog staring at the blue sky. Ah, he thought, what a dream. He smiles sadly, covering his eyes.

###
The three were close to inseparable, so the night when the attack happened, all three were together.

There was one man with a knife who lunged at the princess and carried her off. The shrill scream from the princess made Seung hyun's blood grow cold then hot and he was at a sprint.

He tackled the man by the leg, and screamed, "Jiyong, take the princess and run!" Then bit hard on the man's leg until a warm gush of blood spills from his lips. The man screams then sink the knife on Seung hyun's shoulder but Seung hyun doesn't budge. His shoulder burned in pain but he knew nothing but to hold on, so he can buy his princess and Jiyong time. The man tried to push his face away but his teeth only began to tear flesh.

"You little er." The man screamed as he finally got Seung hyun from his leg. Still the kid fought, open hand, nail digging at the man's arms like claws.

Then a soldier came and killed the man swiftly with an arrow to the back, and suddenly all the pain rushed to the surface.

Ah, Seung hyun thought, blood gushing down a cut under his brow, his ribs aching, I got hit more than I thought.

When his princess rushed to his side, he thought, well, it wasn't all that bad.

###

Jiyong told him he was fearless and stupid. Mostly stupid, but still he was kind of cool. Seung hyun laid in a cot, all bandaged and bundled. Sandara was not allowed in his sick bed. Seung hyun missed her terribly.

The king was grateful and bowed to him, which was kind of strange, but then again, Seung hyun did feel kind of good... Knowing he was a reason why his sun didn't get hurt.

The king offered him to be an actual knight. A real knight who can fight and win and not be a bloodied mess after, but that meant he would be trained in a soldier camp away from the sun. He said, after much thought, that he needed to think of it some more.

A real knight, he asked Jiyong what that meant, and Jiyong said it was someone like who he was already, but he'd have a sword and he most probably know how to fight better.

And really Seung hyun thought there wasn't much appeal to leaving her princess, but then he saw her again after he was allowed to see her and she was crying.

"He scared you, didn't he?" He asked and he was surprised to find his princess in his arms and crying.

"No. You scared me. You did. What if you were killed? Why would you get yourself killed? You... You're not allowed to die."

Then after that he told the king he would go. He would go and be the best fighter in the world that no one could kill... So he would never have to see his princess cry.

###

When he left, Sandara cried. He almost didn't leave. But then he said, "princess, when I come back I'll protect you. You know I will. But until then, you know, take care of yourself." His resolve was steal. He needed to go. So he can be a better dog who knows more than to fetch.

Jiyong said his goodbye and promised he would care for Sandara to which Seung hyun laughed, "princes don't know how to take care of princesses."

Jiyong smirked, "yeah well, I'll do my best."

They embrace briefly, "you take care, stupid prince."

"It's you who are stupid and needs to be careful, brother."

Seung hyun was a bit surprised but grinned. "Sure." He said and turned back to join a dozen of boys to be trained to be the soldiers of Koryu.

He waved to his sun who couldn't look at him. Ah, I'll miss her.

He was twelve when the sun set before the seven years of a bleak night.

###

A/N: OWO I know this is a bit rushed, but heck, I really want to make them grow up. >:/ so, yeah, I am sorry if I can't stop playing SH-favourite! I am seriously going to try harder in the future. Dara will shine soon... Maybe.