The Truth That's What I Want

∞ The Bodyguard ∞
 
Chapter 14
The Truth That's What I Want
 
   Quick recap:
Yenny has just found a journal from her mother. In the journal she finds out that a man was stalking her which led to her death.
 

“Wake up,” I turn on the lights in my father’s room. 
My step-Mother gasped as she sat up from her sleep, wrapping the blanket around her body. While my father who was still squinting was stumbling to grab something from his bedside.
“Yenny,” the other woman called causing my father to pause.
“What are you doing here,” my father looked up at me.
“Meet me in the kitchen,” I told him then I exited the bedroom.
“Why is she here,” I heard the other woman asked my father.
“I don’t know,” my father whispered back.
I knew I should have waited until morning, but I couldn’t help myself not when I needed to know the truth. After all these years I deserved to know what really happened to my Mother. After finishing her journal I rented a car and took off driving in the direction of my father’s house.
“Why are you here? What happen? Is Hana okay?” my Father looked at me with concern. My stomach turn in disgust because why couldn’t he be worried about me? Why did he always have to think of her first?
I cleared my throat as I handed him my Mother’s journal.
“What is this?” my father raised an eyebrow, looking at the notebook.
“It’s her journal,” I told him.
“Who's,” my father gave me a confused look.
My mouth felt thick as I answered him. “Moms.”
“What?” his head snapped up in shock.
“I found it today,” I admitted as I took a seat at the old kitchen table. The same table that my Mother had served many meals on which now belonged to the other woman.
“Do you want some tea,” the other woman asked as she came into the kitchen wearing a nightgown.
“No,” I snapped.
The other woman didn’t even blink as she turn to look at my father. “What about you Yeobo?”
“Tea sounds wonderful,” my father added, making my stomach turn.
The other woman walked into the kitchen and seconds later I could hear the clinking of glasses and the sounds of water running.
“Yenny,” my father called pulling me away from the sounds of the kitchen. “Why are you here?”
“I found Mom’s journal Dad shouldn’t you be happy?” I said slowly, staring my father up and down. I hadn’t seen him in four years and he had already gained so many more wrinkles and white hairs.
“I’m happy Yenny…. I just don’t understand why you have to bang in here like that. I could have shot you,” my father claimed shaking his head.
“She was murdered,” I said suddenly. I felt my head become dizzy with all the questions I wanted to ask.
“I read,” I paused. “I read about the man following her.”
My father's face turn pale as if he had just seen a ghost.
“It’s in her journal,” I told him. “She was murdered. W-Why didn’t you tell me?”
I was trying to sound strong, but my voice was cracking and shaking like an old house.
My father stared at me for the longest time and for a second I thought he was going to hit me or yell but instead he shook his head.
“Yenny,” he paused, looking at my face.
“Just tell me, I can handle it,” I assured him but I knew I was almost to my breaking point.
“Your Mom,” he shook his head. “Your mom didn’t die from a mugger.”
“Why did you lie?”
Because more than anything I had trusted my Father, but this was another sharp reminder of how he could disappoint me.
“She was followed by a man,” I added. “He killed her.”
My father let out a sigh as he shook his head. “Yenny it’s true your Mom did think that someone was following her but-“
“But what?” I interjected. “Why didn’t you protect her or find the man? You could have saved her!”
I wanted to scream and cry, but I couldn’t not when my father just confirms my Mother’s stories. How could he be so cruel to let her die that way?
“No,” my father asserted. “The man he wasn’t real-“
“If he wasn’t real then why isn’t she alive?!” I snapped. I could feel tears welling in my eyes.
Yenny don't cry in front of him, he doesn’t deserve it.
“How could you be so cruel and ignore her pleas for help! Why couldn’t you just believe that she was telling the truth? You were practically holding the gun that murder her,” I accused my father.
“No,” my father objected. “You don’t understand!”
“She should have married someone else,” I snapped and I could tell my comment had stung but I didn’t care.
“Yenny your Mother had schizophrenia!” my father screamed.
My heart dropped as I stared at my father’s face for any traces of lies. “What,” I paused, taking a deep breath. “Do you mean?”
“Your Mother heard and saw things that weren’t there,” my father confessed.
“But... no,” I sputtered out.
“There was a man!” I objected.
In her journal, she seemed so sure that a man was following her. She couldn’t have imagined everything. My Mother wasn’t mean nor was she crazy, so why was my father lying to me?
Why did he tell me such horrible lies!
My father’s eyes bore into me. “Yenny,” he reached for my hand, but I instantly pulled back.
“Don’t lie to me,” I choked out. “Tell me the truth! I deserve to know the truth!”
My father took a deep breath, then he glanced up at me. He took his time staring my face up and down as if he was trying to find the right words to say.
“Yenny,” he started. “Yenny your Mother wasn’t murder.”
My mouth dropped as I covered it with my hands. I had spent my whole life constantly reminded that a thug took my Mother's life away too early. Her murder made me want to become a detective so I could catch the bad guys. So I could give some little girl the closer she so desperately wants. Instead, my whole life has been a lie. A horrible and twisted lie.
“W-What,” I cleared my voice. “What happen to her.”
My father let out another defeated sigh. “You have to understand your Mother wasn’t in her right mind.”
I nodded my head.
Then my father started again. “When she first saw the man I had believed her. Even the second and third time, but then her stories of this mystery man would get more and more outrageous. So I set up cameras without your Mother’s knowledge and within days she was calling for help. So I check the cameras and there was no one there. It’s just the way she would go on and on about this man it... just made her seem not right. So I took her to a psychiatrist and he diagnoses your mom with schizophrenia. There are many different types of schizophrenia, such as seeing different personalities, but your Mother saw things and heard things. The doctor gave us medication for your Mother to take and I really thought that things would go back to normal.”
“But?” I asked him. “What happen?”
“Your Mother suddenly thought I was trying to kill her so she stopped taking them. Of course, she saw the man everywhere and once she even attacked the poor delivery man,” My father confessed.“Your Grandmother had decided to take you in so your Mother could get better, but your Mother beat us to the punch. I remember coming home and seeing a note on the counter. Your Mother had decided to run away with you to get away from the man. I did look for your mother and you. You have to believe me,” my father assured me.
“Why did she die?” I asked him sternly it was the only question that I wanted him to answer.
“You were in a market and your Mother had left you at a street cart,” my father told me as I could see the images replaying in my mind.
“Yes, then I found her all bloody in the streets,” I answered with a shaky voice.
My father nodded grimly. “Yenny your Mother well... she attacked another man that was trying to help her. She was lost on the street yelling and screaming and this man tried to help her and she attack him. He pushed her away and when he did she fell backward and hit her head against a scrap of metal. From what I was told she died quickly.”
Red hot tears were trickling down my face then I looked up at my Father.
“Why didn’t you stop her? Why didn’t you just play along? You could have locked her up before this happens,” I accused him.
“Yenny I did everything I could,” my father assured me.
“So why… why didn’t you tell me before?” I asked.
“Because I never wanted you to see your mother as someone who was nuts. Your mother was a strong woman that prided herself on her smarts. I didn’t want you to think of your her as someone different,” my father confessed. “Just because this illness took your Mother's life doesn’t mean she was anything different from what you thought she was. “
I didn’t believe him because how could he have lied to me all these years. How could he look me straight in my face and lie, oh wait he didn’t. Soon after she died, he dumped with my grandparents and took off to live in the countryside where he opened a small store. He said that he would be back as soon as he got the house ready for us to live in. When he came back, he wasn’t alone, he was with her. They had gotten married and was expecting a child… Hana. Instead of taking me home he left me with my grandmother so he could start another life, a new life with her and their newborn child.
I stood up from my seat with pure anger on my mind. “I don’t believe you, there has to be something more happening”
My father shook his head no. “Yenny just let it go, okay. We are both not police officers and the case is close so please go live your life in peace.”
I shook my head no. “I can’t…I’m sorry.”
“Yen-“
I took off running no longer able to hear anything else my father had to say. It had to be all lies because she would  have never became that way. No mother could have an illness like that!
I slipped on my shoes and ran for the door that I swung open with a too much force.
I could only take a couple of steps before I fell onto the ground. No, she wasn’t sick like that some man killed her. Some horrible man took my mother away not an illness!
There was no way she was sick. No, I won’t believe it!
“Yenny,” a voice called out.
I looked up to see the other woman staring down at me.
“Oh yes,” I spat out as I stood up from the ground.
“Here,” the other woman handed me a folder.
“What is this?” I frown, looking down at the vanilla folder.
“Your mother's case,” she told me.
I gasped as suddenly the file seemed to feel heavier and warmer. “What? But, how? Why?”
The other woman shrugged. “Your Father tries to hide it but there are some nights I see him looking through the case for answers. I thought….I supposed you need it right now more than he does.”
I cleared my voice. “Why are you being so nice?”
The other woman frowned then open to speak. “Because I care about you Yenny.”
Then she awkwardly reached over and patted my head. After a couple of seconds of her, patting my head like a caring mother, she cleared then took a step back.
“The address of the therapist your mother was seeing is written on the front,” she informed me. “It’s in Seoul.”
I nodded awkwardly, then I turn to leave, hugging the folder to my chest as afraid the other woman would change her mind.
I paused, almost to the car, then I uttered a single word. “Thank you.”
I didn’t see her reaction nor did I even know if she was still behind me. It was all I could do to thank her, but I still wouldn't forgive her for taking my father away.
∞∞∞∞
 
  I clutch a hold of the steering wheel tightly as I tried to pull myself together. It was nine in the morning and I had yet to sleep.
I knew I needed to sleep soon, but I couldn’t not until I knew the truth.
Not until I go in there and demand the answers I so desperately needed to hear. I just need to take my hands off the steering wheel and walk into the clinic, but my hands wouldn’t move an inch.
Should I just leave it alone like my father asked?
No, I needed to know, but I had a feeling I was about to open Pandora’s box. What else did my Mother hide from me? Was she really a psychopath? Am I a psychopath too?
I shook my head, trying to push the thoughts to the back of mind.
That’s it, I needed to know the truth, even if it hurts.
I let my shaky hands fall from the steering wheel as I tried to push away all the fear and doubt from my mind. I open the car door, letting the cold air smash against my tired face.
The therapist office looked old and worn down, but back in the day, it must have been nice. I walked towards the front door that was decorated with little angels that were almost faded to nothing. The angel next to the door had its face completely gone, leaving the angel headless.
Maybe I should come back later with my gun?
Gun or gun-less I was going to go in there and demand questions, the ones that I needed to get answered. For once there was something in my life that I rightfully deserved. I deserve to know the truth, even if it hurts.
I open the front door with such force that I almost ripped it off the hinges to say that I was nervous was an understatement.
The waiting room was nothing that I expected. The chairs in the waiting room were all mismatched and the chairs had white stuffing spilling out.
The walls were painted an ugly gray color, but you could still see spots of white that were clearly missed by the painter. The secretary desk was full of random pieces of paper and an old PC.
Was this place still running?
The lights were on and the cold air from the AC was nipping at my nose so why did it look like a zombie apocalypse?
Suddenly I could hear the creaking of a door opening echoing into the room.
A man wearing a nice suit stood in the doorway, his sharp eyes staring me up and down. His black hair was styled nicely into the air, making him look younger than he actually was.
For a quick second, I had this weird feeling that I had seen him before.
“Are you a new customer?” the man asked me in a thick Busan accent.
“Ah yes,” I replied too quickly. “I mean no are you the therapist? I just need to ask you some questions about my…”
I trailed off as the man's dark eyes bore into me and I wonder if he thought I was lying.
“Junhee don’t be so mean,” a man called from the room. Seconds later, another man exited this room, but unlike the first man, this man looked strange. Almost as if he was supposed to be put into a mental hospital or maybe he was a client.
His frizzy black hair was parted in the center and it went down to his chin. He had a stubby looking mustache that went into a straight line. Even the clothes he was wearing made him look like a madman.
A white button up shirt that was two sizes too big was untucked from a pair of dark blue jeans.
“Sorry,” I turn to the first man. “I didn’t mean to interrupt you and your client.”
The crazy looking man laughed loudly then he nudged the cold man. “You see this is what happens when you drag me out of bed too early.”
I took a step back in surprise. “Sorry, I didn’t realize you were with your partner.”
The crazy looking man laughed then turn to the cold looking man. “You hear that Junhee? She thinks we're lovers.”
The other man’s face showed no emotions.
“Eh sorry,” I sputtered out.
“I’ll see you later,” the unemotional cold man said to the crazy looking man then he started to walk out of the small office.
“Wait, Doctor!” I turn around to chase after the therapist. “I need to ask you some questions.”
The man stopped at the doorway then turn his head to look in my direction. “You always take the weird ones don’t you?”
“Wha-“
“Miss?” the crazy man beside me called.
I turn my head to see the man smiling widely showing off his slightly yellow crooked teeth.
“I’m the doctor,” he answered simply. “This is my place of business and that,” he pointed to the now empty doorway, “was my client.”
My mouth opens wide as I looked at the crazy man then back to the empty doorway.
“But you don’t look like a doctor!” I pointed out.
The man frowned and I realized that I had offended the one person I needed.
“I’m sorry it’s just…” I trailed off looking at the guy's outfit.
The man looked confused then he suddenly nodded head. “Oh because I’m dressed like this.”
The man let out another crazy laugh that made me want to run. “Sorry my client had an emergency and I had to get up a bit early hence the reason why I look so undone. But why is a pretty young girl as yourself doing here?”
“Oh yes I mean I’m here because I need to ask you some questions about my Mother,” I told the man.
“Your Mother?” the man looked at me confused. “How could I know your Mother?”
“She was your client,” I told the man.
“Aww she was but I’m sorry I can’t tell you with anything it’s against HIPPA compliances,” the doctor answered simply.
“Hippa what?” I asked with a raised eyebrow.
“Ah sorry doctor terms but what I’m trying to tell you is it’s against the law for me to release any information. So I’m sorry young lady you are out of luck,” the doctor explained.
My mouth became a straight line as I could feel waves of emotions wash over my body.
“But I’ve come all this way to find you,” I confessed looking down at my worn out work shoes.
“I’m sorry miss the laws are the laws,” the man told me with a small smile. “If there is anything else I can do for you?”
I shook my head defeat.
“Well I’m sorry that you traveled all this way for nothing but I have a doughnut calling my name in my office,” the man laughed turning around.
Everything I wanted no everything I needed was now slipping away from my grasp.
“Her name was Park Yoonha,” the man paused at the doorway with his hand frozen above the door knob.
“She was my Mom,” I told the man who was still frozen at the door. “Please, I need your help.”
Please, I just need to know the truth.
The man turns around and the smile on his face had now faded to a straight line.
“I think you should come in,” the man told me drily as he stepped aside.
I nodded quickly and made my way into the room. The first thing I noticed was the smell then I saw rows of green plants in different color pots sitting on the window cell.  Below the window was a short bookcase that was packed full of books and other random junk.
I sat on the leather couch that was next to a taller bookcase and like the other bookcase this one contained the same amount of books and junk. I moved an old stuff bear that was missing one eye to the side of me.
“Sorry for the mess,” the therapist said as he started to clean off the random pieces of clothes, takeout containers, and piles of paper off of his desk.
“Oh there you are Mr. Fuzzypants,”The therapist smiled as he grabbed the bear from the couch.
Any other day I would have wondered why an old man would have a teddy bear with him.
“I had it since I was a kid and I can’t seem to get rid of it,” the man shrugged.
I nodded because I wasn’t there as a health inspector or to judge him for his stuff animal, I just wanted to know what happen to my Mother.”
“Doctor,” I called for the man who was still straightening his desk. “I just need to know about my Mother.” just
The Doctor let out a sigh as he slid into his leather chair and faced me. He leans back in the chair as he let out a deep sigh.
“Before I start I think I need to introduce myself my name is Choi Donghwa.”
I bowed my head then I looked at the doctor for the answers I needed. “My name is Park Yeonmi but please call me Yenny.”
The doctor nodded his head. “Now Yenny what can I do for you?”
I took a deep breath then started to talk. “All my life I was told my Mother died because she stood up to a thug but now I was told that she was just nuts.”
“Yenny your mother was not nuts she was sick,” the doctor explained calmly.
“But there was a man that was following her. I found her journal, she seemed so convinced that there was a man. How could she be crazy I mean sick I would have noticed. I was with her all the time when I was a kid,” my voice was shaking now and I wasn’t sure if it was from the anger or the sadness.
“It’s not impossible for a child at your age to not remember terrifying events,” Donghwa explained.
I shook my head no. “I would have known if something was wrong.”
“Even if you did you wouldn’t be able to comprehend the situation and I knew your Mother wouldn’t want you to worry. It’s clear to me that she was hiding her sickness from you,” he pointed out.
“But why?” I frowned trying to hold in my emotions. “Why didn’t she tell me?”
The Doctor sighed then leaned over and grabbed ahold of my hand. He looked me in the eyes as if he was trying to figure me out. “I know that it’s rough but sometimes it difficult to show weakness to people who love us. Your Mother had told me that she didn’t want to burden your childhood with her illness.”
“Was she really sick,” I spoke to myself.
I couldn’t believe that she was really sick but I knew deep in my heart that if she was sick she would have kept it a secret. I wished I was older then I could have seen the lies on her face.
I wish I was older so I could have helped her.
The doctor nodded. “Your mother was schizophrenia.”
I nodded my head. “My father explained that she saw things and heard things?”
“Yes that is true,” he nodded his head. “I'm surprised your Appa had even told you that. Since he well he had a hard time accepting the fact that your Mother was sick.”
“How?” asked him.
“Well, your Appa he just didn’t understand the situation your Mother was in. I think he thought that she was looking for attention but sooner or later he realized his mistakes.”
“But in her journal, she wrote about this man. This man that stalked her and you’re saying now that my Mother made it all up? How can that be when she sounded so scared?”
The doctor leans back in his chair as his mouth formed a straight line. “When a patient has schizophrenia they are prone to see thing, hear thing, and even their taste buds can change too. The thing with schizophrenia is it’s an illness that everyone notices except the person that has it. Their hallucinations can be something as simple as talking to an old friend or a family member. While sometimes hallucinations can be downright scary just like your mothers. The fact is your mother wasn’t seeing a real man.”
I shook my head because I couldn’t believe what he was telling me.
“Your Mother,” the doctor started again, “was doing better and I truly believe that. She was taking her medication daily and the visions started to stop.”
“So then what happen?” I asked sitting on the corner of my seat.
“I’m not sure,” the doctor said with a frown. “Your mother is one of the cases I regret the most. If I saw the warning signs sooner than I would have been able to help her. I actually have some tapes of her session if that will help you understand how sick your mother was.”
No.
I wanted to say no that the truth he was telling me didn’t make any sense. I couldn’t see the woman that raised me and had tea parties with me was crazy.
I nodded my head.
“Now most of the tapes are in storage,” the doctor said as he stood up from his seat then started to go through a filing cabinet that was next to his desk.
“Why do you still have them,” I asked the Doctor.
He stopped looking through his filing cabinet and turn around to look at me. “It’s for other case studies. Also for myself to understand the illness more in-depth. Although I couldn’t help your mother I know I can help someone else.”
“Oh, okay I understand,” I replied but I still didn’t like the feeling that my Mother’s mental breakdown was now viewed as a learning tool.
“Here it is,” the man pulled out a VSR tape. I still couldn’t believe that those things weren’t extinct yet.
“It might be hard to watch are you sure?”
I nodded my head.
He then turns on the small tv on his desk and inserted a tape into an old school VSR player. The television flashed with static until suddenly a picture filled the screen.
“Mother,” I called out.
“No, you don’t understand,” my mother shouted her voice was rough like she hadn’t had a sip of water in days.
Her black hair was messy with little clumps of knots making her look like a wild animal. Dark circles were under her eyes and the smile that was always on her lips was now in a straight line. She looked nothing like my Mother.
My mother looked to the other side of the room with fear in her eyes. “I’m not crazy.” She looked back at the camera with wide eyes. “I swear I’m not crazy.”
The screen flash black then my mother popped back up with a large grin on her face. No, it wasn’t a happy smile it was one with such venom that it made me inch back in my seat.
She let out a crazy laugh as her eyes grew wide. “I’m going to kill you! I’m going to kill you!”
“Calm down,” I heard the doctor’s voice said.
“I’m not crazy!!” she screamed as she breathes heavily.
“Enough,” I said standing up from my seat.
The doctor quickly turned off the television causing my mother’s face to fade to black.
“I’m sorry I should have warned you,” the doctor told me apologetically.
“It’s fine,” I croaked out.
I was on the verge of crying or screaming I didn’t know which yet.
Was my mom really like that? Was she really crazy?
It felt as if everything I knew in life was a lie. For once in my life, I was left with uncertainty    an uncertainty that I had never felt before.

∞∞∞∞

 

“You look like ,” my sister called looking up from her laptop. I didn’t answer instead I nodded because my mouth was too tired to open.

I hadn’t slept all night hell it felt as if I hadn’t slept for the whole month. I just couldn’t go to sleep just yet I needed to look in her case. Infinite could wait. The doll maker could wait and even that promotion I wanted could wait.

I open the door to my bedroom not even caring that it was a huge mess due to Hana. I dropped my bag on the bed then slowly slid to the floor letting my back rest against the bed. I open the folder that the other woman had given me what had felt like hours ago.

Inside was a DVD that the doctor had given me with clips of my mother. I placed the DVD to the side not wanting to remember the way her face looked during the video.

I looked at the police report of my mother’s death and without out a doubt, everything looked normal. The fact was if she wasn’t my mother than I wouldn’t have reopened the case. The death was caused by an accident and there was no reason to look through old memories.

My eyes felt tired as I looked through the next paper that contained eye witness reports. Each one of them was annoyingly placing the blame on my mother.

She was out of control and attacked a man.

The man did nothing but try to help the woman.

The woman was standing in the middle of the street like a crazy woman. When a man tried to help she freaked out and attacked him.

I turn to the next page that was full of names of the witness and numbers. I pulled out my almost dead cell phone and took a deep breath.

Should I just drop it?

Accept the fact that my mother was crazy right? Deep inside I couldn’t drop it not until I learn every angle of this case. Not until all the evidence is collected then I will be able to make a clear choice. For right now my Mother’s image wasn’t the one of a crazy woman but yet a hero. I knew I sounded crazy but I couldn’t believe everything they were telling me right now. I needed to make my own decision after reviewing the case.

∞∞∞∞

More importantly, who leaked the news?
As much as I wanted to push them off a cliff I still felt responsible for their lives. Even though I hated them I wouldn’t let their families and friends feel the same way I did nine years ago.
I wanted to yell at Joon for being so rude but my thoughts were only on them. Infinite.
“Nothing, come on go change you look horrible,” Joon pointed to my sweatpants that contain holes and my stain shirt.
“What?” I retorted.
Joon sighs. “Why do I always work with the freaks?”
“Nothing,” I sputtered out as my cheeks turn red.
“What?” Joon asked.
“We have to go,” I stood up. “Only I’m allowed to hurt them!”
It was pure fear.
Once again all the air as from my body, but this time it wasn’t from the butterflies in my stomach nor was it from the lack of sleep.
“Someone leaked the witnesses names to the media and now Infinite is a target,” Joon confessed. “We need to be there for them.”
“They do,” I added in a daze.
“Because Infinite need you,” Joon added.
I felt as if all the air in my body had escaped and suddenly the world froze.
Joon ran a hand through his hair once again, then he looked up at me once more. “Because I need you.”
I scoffed as I crossed my arms as my foot tapped against the ground.
“Because it’s too late to find another guar-“
“Why,” I pushed off his hand. “Why do you need me to be their bodyguard when I already lost them and almost killed them? Give me a reason why I should stay working for Infinite?”
“Didn’t you beg me for a job because of her so please don’t give up now when I need you more than anything,” Joon told me as he rested his hand awkwardly against my shoulder.
I let out a small gasped as the heavy word hung in the air. Suddenly I felt a wave of anger overwhelm my body as the thoughts of Joon using my dead mother as a threat.
Joon shook his head, then he looked at me. He really looked at me for once as if he was really seeing me. “What about your Mother?”
“You don’t understand,” I argued back.
“You can’t,” Joon replied. “I’m not going to allow it.”
I’m sorry Joon it’s just my whole life is tumbling apart and I need to find out why. I need to know why she died.
“I’m sorry for all the hassle I have caused, but I need to resign,” I apologized bowing my head.
Joon shook his head with a weary sigh on his lips. “Seriously Yenny.”
I turn my head to look back in my apartment where my Mother’s case was then I slowly turn my head back to Joon. I was suddenly hit with this overwhelming feeling of guilt that made my mind say two single words. “I can’t.”
“You need to come to the office,” Joon ordered me.
“Did something happen?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.
That seemed to cool Joon down, although he still wore a panicky expression on his face.
“I’m sorry,” I frowned. “I had a family emergency.”
“Why weren’t you picking up your phone?!” Joon shouted clearly annoyed. “Something could have happened to you I mean to Infinite.”
He is going to kill me, isn’t he?
“Really?” Joon’s looked at me as he crossed his arms.
“Hello,” I asked as I swung the door open.
If you followed the rules you’ll go far in life, but so far following the rules has caused me nothing but heartache.
I’m different.
I always followed the rules back then, but now things are different.
Yes, I pushed my responsibilities to the side for my personal situation. I was being selfish and more importantly disregarding the rules.
Infinite.
“OPEN THIS DOOR!” Joon screamed.
“It’s the devil,” I scoffed as I stood up from my seat.
“YENNY!” a muffled voice screamed from the door.
It’s the man! What if he’s a ghost or worse a demon! I’m dead now!
BANG!
I jumped once again holding the photos to my chest.
BANG!
I jumped from my spot looking around the room in surprise.
BANG!
“It’s true,” I gasped. “Is this true or is this a lie?”
I was about to turn to the next photo when I noticed something strange. The window in the restaurant viewed the busy street outside. There were two woman walking, a kid being dragged by his mom, and a cute couple holding hands but here was also a man. The man was wearing the same clothes as before and like last time he was staring in the direction of the camera.
I turn back to the photo as I tried to push my hunger away.
That was right, I hadn’t eaten in a while now… YENNY! Get your head on straight!
“I’m hungry,” I frowned.
My stomach growled at the thoughts of sizzling meat.
I flicked to the next photo where my family and I was at our favorite BBQ place eating tons of meat.
“Stupid Yenny why couldn’t you see that she was in pain,” I told my six-year-old self.
I paused at photo twenty-three because it was the last family photo we ever took. I was sitting in my Mother’s lap as I smiled widely, showing off a toothy grin. At the time I was young and unaware of the troubles my parents were facing, but in this photo, I could see it so clearly. My father’s face was hard as he showed no emotions as he smiled. While my mother wasn’t even smiling, she was just staring at the camera with a blank expression. Her face was paler and there were dark circles around her eyes as if she hadn’t slept for days.
The eighteenth photo was a photo of my old dog. It had passed away while I was on a school field trip. I cried for days after my mom told me about her death.
I picked up the next photo of myself as a baby grinning widely with one tooth sticking out.
I carefully placed the photo next to me so I could look at it later on.
“Yenny this is one photo,” I told myself. “One photo does not prove anything.”
I was about to place down the photo when I saw something strange in the background. The photo was taken at the park so of course, they would be kids playing in the background while parents gossip with each other. This man was wearing all black even a black facial mask that covered most of his face. He was standing next to a trash can and his was head was turned in the camera's direction as if he was watching us.I could feel chills running up and down my spine as I brought the photo closer to my eyes. It was too blurry to make out any features, but I could tell it was a man from his bulky shoulders.
The fifteenth photo was of my birthday party when I was turning six. I remember we had food poisoning because dad left the food out too long in the sun. He swore that it must be a stomach bug, but even he knew it was his fault.
The tenth photo was of my father shirtless holding a beer and a goofy smile.
The sixth photo was a horrible family photo that was all blurry and off center.
Why I have no clue.
The second photo was of a piece of toast.
The first photo was of my parents hugging each other. It had to happen before I was born before her life went to hell.
If I was going to find something, then it would be in here. It has to be.
I picked up a small stack of photos preparing myself for a long night.
Maybe, just maybe, this once something will work out in my favor. I open the box to be met with piles of photos.
I grabbed a hold of the small brown box that contained the messy handwriting that spelled out: Photos.
I stood up my eyes glued to a small box in the closet. It was something that I wouldn’t have noticed if it was just any other day.
Seriously, why couldn’t for once something could go my way-
Like always my plan didn’t work out!
I let the picture album slide from my hands to the ground, sending a dull thud into the silent room. I couldn’t have found something if I wanted to. There was no way my Mother would have kept photos of her stalker. She would have shown them to my father. She would have proved her sanity to everyone that doubted her.
Nothing, absolutely nothing!
I quickly scooped it up as I let my body slide against the bed. I flipped through the album full of my childhood memories. Some of the photos of my mother’s smiling face made me want to cry and scream. Instead, I pushed through the album scanning each photo carefully, but each photo contained nothing of importance. Nothing that could prove my mother’s illness as a mix-up. I flipped to the last photo that was taken of me on a sandy beach in Busan
It was the same binder that got me in trouble when I had torn out a couple of photos.
“Don’t be stupid Yenny,” I told myself as I slide open the door.  The bookcase was still lying on the ground surrounded by books and more importantly a pink binder.
I stood in front of my parent's door with the same amount of dread I felt a day ago.
I pushed the members out of my head, I did feel bad for ignoring their calls and pushing my duties to the side. I knew they would understand if I told them the truth, but for right now I needed to be selfish.
Infinite
Surprisingly my sister wasn’t sitting in the living room and knowing my luck she was off spending my money or worst stalking the members of Infinite.
 
I shot out of my bed quickly causing my head to suddenly become dizzy. I ignore the feeling as I stumbled to my door because for once one of my crazy dreams actually made sense.
The camera.
Suddenly the image of her smiling face flashed into my mind as she took a photo.
Why did I dream about her? At least it wasn’t the other dream of her…
I let out a yawn as I started to rub the sleepiness out of my eyes.
I had fallen asleep and wasted precious time!
 
8:45 pm
“,” I mumbled to myself as my eyes turned towards the clock.
I sat up from my bed now fully awake.
Then she clicked a button on the camera as she took my photo.
“Say Kimichi,” she said in her normal sing like voice.
She held up a camera that was now outdated but it was once my mother’s most cherished items. My father had bought it for my Mother for one of her birthdays and for as long as I remember it had stayed by Mothers side.  Most days she would try to get me to pose as she took a photo. At times I would get annoyed and hide from that annoying camera. I mean who else like having their photo taken while eating breakfast?
It was everything I knew and everything I loved about her.
I could see her face in my mind now but it wasn’t the woman I saw in the video. Her face was brighter and there was a smile on her lips. Her black hair was placed into a messy bun with pieces of hair falling onto her shoulder. Her purple apron clashed with her yellow and red flower dress.
Mom why did you have to go that way?
Mom.
I fell back into the bed letting my eyes finally close.
“Okay Yenny,” I said to myself as I wiped the hair out of my face. “You barely have information from the witness and all of the statements are proving that Mother was crazy. Also, there are no security cameras that can help with your investigation. Yes, we are off to a good start!”
I sat up in my bed letting my hair fall into my eyes.
The business in front of my Mother’s murder changed owners so many times that the footage of the murder was long deleted.  
Nothing was going right!
I let a roar of anger as I rolled around on my bed like a fish out of water.
But Jinsub hadn’t said two words to me since I told on him for incorrectly filling out a report. It wasn’t as if I wanted to tell on him but since he wouldn’t follow the rules I had to.
Oh right I’m undercover and the whole station thinks I was fired.  Maybe I could ask Jinsub my desk mate at the station to do me a favor.
I frowned.
Okay, so no witnesses right now. I’m sure that I could find them eventually maybe I could look them up at the station.
None of the witnesses numbers was the same hell my father’s number wasn’t even the same from ten years ago.
I tossed my phone to the ground as I let out a defeated sigh
 

*Hides behind Sungyeol*
Hi,
I hope you guys don’t hate me for not updating in 3493249328948 years. I hit a really bad writer's block aka I’ve been busy aka I’ve been lazy. I actually finished writing this whole story but because I hate editing it has taken me awhile to post this chapter. It is a long chapter too so I hope that will make up for the lack of updates.
I am going to try to update once a week since the story is already written.
Please don’t kill me.
-Morgan