In the nights to come

In the nights to come
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Park Chanyeol hates nighttime. He's a huge scaredy cat. Who would have expected him to accept the job offer at the nearby apartment complex as a security guard? 

It was undeniable that the first few nights were tough. Heck- Chanyeol felt as if he was trapped in a horror game. He would imagine ghosts and monsters of all shapes and sizes lurking by the window... Sometimes he got scared just because the wind blew. 

"I regret this, I regret this so much!" Chanyeol complains to his supposedly best friend, Jongdae, on the phone. "I just wish Slanderman and Freddy would just go away!"

"You know that none of those characters are actually real right? Come on, Chanyeol, you're a 185cm grown man." Jongdae speaks while he's eating. "I'm sure you can find something interesting to do while you're there for the rest of the month."

Chanyeol shrugs. What could he even do in the middle of the night in a small hut? He ends the call and turns his body to face the computer moniter. There were at least 20 screens showing each and every image captured by the CCTVs around the apartment complex. He lets out a loud and ugly-sounding yawn. This was going to be a long night.

With his mouth full of sushi, he stares lazily at the screens. Well... At least until he noticed a short, puppy-like high school student waiting by the lift lobby. Chanyeol lets out a cough upon choking and sits up straight. He observes the boy closely through the computer monitor. Maybe, just maybe, night shift wouldn't be as bad as he thought. 

It's been a month since he accepted the job offer. Every night, at exactly 10.05 pm to be exact, Chanyeol would see the familiar boy dragging his feet towards the lift lobby. The boy would pout like a cute baby as he waited for the lift to arrive. His arms are always filled with books and this makes Chanyeol wonder: Why is he still studying when college entrance exams have already ended? 

Chanyeol lets out a yawn (again) as he stretches his arms. It's only been 2 hours, he has another 8 hours to go. 

The lift arrives and he sees the boy walk into the lift. The boy lifts his fingers to press the button- 

"Twelve," Chanyeol mutters. He remembers every little detail about the boy. He lives on the twelve floor. Everyday (except Saturdays) the boy would come back home at exactly 10.05 pm. He has lots of checkered shirts. So far Chanyeol has seen him wear black, green, red, orange, blue and grey checkered shirts. He would wear the same shirt every three weeks and the same bottom every two weeks. 

Sure Chanyeol sounds like a stalker, but what else could he possibly do? The only reason why he's still working there is the presence of this particular boy. 

"Chanyeol! You can't keep calling me every night, I need my beauty rest!" Jongdae yells through the phone. "What is it this time?" 

"I'm bored, Jongdae." 

"This is the millionth time..." Chanyeol could hear Jongdae sighing before continuing, "I told you to quit already. It's been a month. You can quit now."

"But-"

Jongdae cuts him off, "Even if you quit you can still hang around the complex and try to catch a glimpse of puppy." 

Chanyeol smiles a little after hearing his nickname for the boy. Yet, he knows that it's impossible to do whatever Jongdae is getting him to do, "No I can't. Puppy only reaches home at 10.05pm and it's suspicious if a stranger hangs around outside his apartment everyday at that time. I would rather see him through the computer screen." 

"Chanyeol, have I ever told you that you're creepy?" Jongdae snorts, "Wait till your puppy hears about your nickname for him and your knowledge on his everyday lifestyle... He'll definitely start crying in fear."

"I'll talk to him one day okay? I just need more time." 

"To do what? Research on him more?" Jongdae laughs.

A frown stretches across Chanyeol's face before replying coldly, "Good night Jongdae. Remind me to never call you again." 

The next day, Chanyeol prepares a small carton of milk and places it next to the computer. He sits up straight and clasps his fingers together, awaiting the arrival of his dear puppy. 

It's already 10.10pm, but puppy isn't at the lift lobby yet. Chanyeol's eyes doubles in size. Puppy has never been late before, never. Could he have gotten into trouble? 

Chanyeol places his cap onto his head and heads out toward the main gates. Somewhere near the side gate, he spots people hurdled together. Taking a brave step forward (and internally praying that those people weren't hallucinations) Chanyeol takes a closer look. He then realises that one of those people was his puppy! What was puppy doing there with those guys? He hears one guy shout and jab the chest of his dear puppy. Chanyeol's fingers form fists as he strides confidently towards them, "Hey! What are you doing!" He shouts in his deep voice while pointing an accusing finger at them.

The men stare at him curiously before their leader steps forward, smirking, "Mind your own business, kid." 

Chanyeol notices puppy take a step away from the men, eyes wide staring right at him. Ignoring the internal voice screaming that "puppy is staring!", Chanyeol holds his head high and clears his throat, "You're hurting him. I won't let you hurt him." He states a fact as he lifts his fists up near his face and strikes a fighter pose, "I'm the security guard here and I'm not afraid of you." 

The men start laughing. They advance towards Chanyeol. Chanyeol stops himself from moving backwards and keeps his fists in front of him. They start throwing punches from all different directions and Chanyeol uses his long arms to push them away. Chanyeol can't fight for goodness sake. He's getting bruises on his arms, back and face. 

Only until he hears one man groan in pain, he opens his eyes to see that man lying on the ground, hands holding his crotch. Puppy stands in front of the man, breathing deeply. 

"Let's go." Puppy turns and says to him. He then grabs Chanyeol's arm and helps him up. Puppy pulls Chanyeol with him into the apartment complex. They stand side by side as they wait for the lift. Chanyeol can't help but think, "He's real, he's not on the screen. He's actually real." The idea of puppy touching him makes him happy and the pain from the punches seems to have faded. 

Entering the lift, Chanyeol automatically pushes the button "12" and his a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter