yes

Marry Me

It started out as a normal day, the only thing different was that Sungjong and Myungsoo both had day offs from their respective work places at the same time. 

They were in their bedroom minding their own business in comfortable silence, Myungsoo was on his desk editing his pictures and article about a new idol group that debuted while Sungjong was on the bed making his lesson plan about Robert Frost on his laptop. 

At least he should be making his lesson plan but Sungjong was on a random news site reading about ‘Top 10 Fails Caught on Camera’. He doesn’t even know how he got on that site, he was just analyzing one of Frost’s poems when an ad caught his eye and next thing he knew he has six tabs open and was watching a man jump into a frozen pool first. 

Sungjong had to cringe at that.

He was just about to watch the next clip when another article caught his eye, it was about how America recently legalized gay marriage and how couples of all ages were finally getting married. The teacher browsed through the pictures and couldn’t help but smile and feel happy for the couples especially the old ones because finally they said 'I do’. 

Now Sungjong knew people didn’t really need to have their vows on paper just to stay together forever but he also knew that marriage somehow gave this sense of commitment and reassurance that yes, they will be together until death do them part. 

Sungjong looked to his side where Myungsoo was furrowing his eyebrows as he muttered a sentence under his breath, to hear if it sounded stupid or not, before typing it, a habit he’s had since college. Usually he would say it out loud but now he was being quiet about it as a sign of respect to Sungjong who was also (supposed to be) working in the same room.

Sungjong had to smile at his lover and thought that if he was going to spend his whole life with one person only it would be with Myungsoo. 

Ah, he really would, now he feels what all those couples must have felt and why they were the first in line to get married. 

“Hey Myungsoo?” Myungsoo just grunted in response as he checked the spelling of his sentence. 

“Did you know that America legalized gay marriage?” Sungjong asked. 

“Yeah,” Myungsoo replied with a small smile. “The office was kinda hectic that day as every magazine and newspaper tried to be the first to publish that story." 

"You think it’ll ever legalize here?” Sungjong doesn’t know why he’s asking this but he knows where he’s going with it. 

“Who knows? It happened in other countries,” Myungsoo replied, still staring at his computer. 

“When that happens,” Sungjong pauses a bit. “Marry me then." 

Myungsoo stopped typing and finally looked at Sungjong, his significant other was just smiling and looking at him with those eyes that he fell in love with. 

"What did you say?” Myungsoo had to make sure he heard right and he wasn’t just tired with work. 

Sungjong pushed his laptop of his lap to sit at the edge of their bed to look straight at Myungsoo so the other would know he’s serious. 

“Marry me Myungsoo,” Sungjong said with a finality because he is not going to let someone as hard working, wonderful, dorky and absolutely perfect for him as Myungsoo go. 

Myungsoo stared at Sungjong for a few seconds before standing up and going to their closet, Sungjong’s eyes never left the other as he watched the journalist reach for something behind his side of the closet before pulling out a small blue box making Sungjong hold his breath. 

“I’ve been kinda planning this since last month,” Myungsoo said sheepishly as he walked towards Sungjong. “ I was planning to ask you next week while we have dinner at that new Italian place that just opened. " 

Myungsoo sat beside his lover while holding the box as if it might break if he holds it tighter. 

"I was just so nervous and I wanted it to be like those mangas I’ve read and make you so swept from your feet to the point that the only thing you could say is yes,” Myungsoo explained with a fond smile. 

He then faced Sungjong as he opened the box revealing a simple silver ring with small designs engraved on it. 

Sungjong’s eyes were welling up by then. 

“So yes Sungjong, I will marry you,” Myungsoo said as he gently took the other’s left hand and slipped the ring on his 4th finger, it was a perfect fit. “Just as long as you’d marry me too." 

"Idiot,” Sungjong laughed as he wiped his tears with one hand and held Myungsoo’s with the other. “That’s how marriages work." 

Myungsoo kissed Sungjong’s forehead before letting their foreheads touch. 

Sungjong looked down on his hands that was intertwined with Myungsoo’s, his ring glistened on his finger and he thinks that his hand has never looked more beautiful than now.