Even if you're gone

A doctor's story: The hollow of his heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It has been nearly three hours since Myungsoo had gone missing and Sunggyu, Woohyun and Howon have been running around ever since, frantically looking for the missing boy. They have tried looking at every possible crook and nook of the places they thought he could be, but they were all pointless.

Sungyeol and his mother have mobilized a search party comprising a few familiar nurses and janitors to look around the hospital, but not even a trace of his shadow was seen or found. Sunggyu had suggested a few places he thought Myungsoo would be, but the search only turned out a failure when it was found empty of the sought boy. He is nowhere to be found and Kim Sunggyu is getting unbelievably worried now but he knows he can't go frantic about it. Frantic is never going to make a very safe and fine Myungsoo pop out of nowhere. So instead, he opts to remain calm, well, as calm as he can be in that sort of situation of course.

“Where is he…?” Sunggyu quietly mutters under his ragged breathe, biting his bottom lips worriedly as his eyes gaze around his surrounding aimlessly, not knowing where should he head for next. His foot however betrayed all kind of calmness he planned to exude when they all but tapped and tapped restlessly against the ground.

“Where could he possibly be at this late hour?” Sunggyu hears Woohyun questions as the latter then messes his hair frustrated before he flicks the top two buttons of his shirt open, feeling hot and uncomfortable from the heat and sweats much thanks to their rigorous and unexpected exercise beforehand. Howon on the other hand seems to be close to losing his mind, ruffling his sweat-trickled hair, heaving a long heavy sigh as he keeps on pacing back and forth, absolutely more than worried and yes, he never plan on being even half-discreet about it because, dammit! Myungsoo is still missing!

“Where is he?!" Howon's voice pitched up as he rashly scratched the back of his head with a deep furrow etched on his face. "We’ve been searching for hours and we still couldn’t find him! It’s already late and he’s just a boy! It’s dangerous for him to be alone at this hour!” Howon out of the blue hardly kicks into the thin cold air, not knowing where else should he directs his worry and anger other than the poor and chill night air. Sunggyu just calmly takes a few steps to no where in particular as he firmly places his hands over his waist and tries to regain his normal breathing, his face blankly facing the darkly hooded sky while sticky sweats just went rampage all over his body.

“I know, Howon. I know. We’ll find him. We will.” The eldest reassures with a sigh, although he knows it seems almost quite an impossible task to do now that they’ve all but ran out of places to search.

“How can you be so sure?! He’s just 15, for God sake, Sunggyu! What if something bad happens to him?! How can you be so calm?!” He snaps again. Howon always snaps these days and Sunggyu guesses it must be because things haven’t been the smoothest lately. He shouldn’t take Howon’s snapping to heart and he has to remain calm on his stead. He can’t possibly freak out now that they still haven’t found his Myungsoo being safe and sound yet. He needs to be calm so he can think properly. Think, Sunggyu, think! He forces his brain to work its screws and all.

“Yes! Exactly, Howon. He’s only 15 so where could he possibly go at this hour? There won’t be many places that allow teenagers to linger or stay. He should be somewhere near here.” Sunggyu tries his best to continue his calm streak. Myungsoo is definitely somewhere out there and he’s very sure that the boy wouldn’t do anything reckless. He’s mature enough to not do something stupid. So he must be exactly somewhere that he wants to be; somewhere he thinks he needs to be at this moment on, but--

"-- where could Myungsoo possibly want to be right now?” He finishes his question out loud while he subconsciously brings a finger to his lips and slightly nibbles on the skin as he rakes his mind to think. But the future seems so bleak and pointless now that his mind is still blank and probably not working at its best, and he just can’t seem to think or guess a place that may have his Myungsoo.

“Myungsoo, just where are you? Oh god, why didn’t I just bought him a phone before this? How can I be that stupid?” He blames himself again, lightly hitting on his temple as he nibbles on his lips restlessly.

“Gyu, what if he’s hurt? What if he’s kidnapped? Or worst— what if he’s lost? He wouldn’t know the way back and he could’ve been smuggled to God knows where!” Howon suddenly grabs Sunggyu’s weakened body and thrash him around.

“Oh for God’s sake, Howon, stop freaking out! He’s freaking 15 years old! He wouldn’t be lost around here even if he wants to!” Woohyun suddenly barks and harshly swat Howon’s hands off of Sunggyu, surprising the latter into a jolt as he’s taken by surprise from the unforeseen outburst from his husband. He has heard of Woohyun’s unexpected temper from the talk of his family and close friends but he has never witnessed it with his own pair of eyes. And the sight of Woohyun’s fierce glare and his flushed face somehow send him a feeling of cold shiver and warmth at the same time. Frightened because of the sight of his husband getting heated in front of him for the first time and warmth because Woohyun is still thoughtful about him despite their current situation.

Sunggyu faintly curls a small smile at the two males. They’re only behaving like this because they’re just extremely worried about Myungsoo, and it warms his heart to know how important the little boy is to the both of them, especially his Woohyun. Softly, Sunggyu lifts his arms and touch Woohyun and Howon’s arms attempting to calm them down.

“Hey, it’s alright. We’ll find him. Let’s think again. I’m sure Myungsoo’s just around here somewhere.” He squeezes both their arms and it seems to do the magic when they both seem to cool down slowly.

“It’s already 9 p.m., so where in the world could he be now?” Woohyun voices out, tapping his left foot on the ground restlessly while Howon just shakes his head. He just can’t think properly what with his frenzied mind.

“Okay, let’s go through this once again. Myungsoo’s not in the orphanage, not in the hospital, and not even in the funeral hall where Sunwoo’s body is currently residing in. So where else could he wants to be?” Sunggyu voices out his thought as he taps his fist against his forehead, raking his brain to work, to think, to remember even just a small clue of Myungsoo’s whereabout—

“— park…” Sunggyu mumbles quietly, his gaze straight ahead as the word works at the tip of his tongue.

“What park?” Howon creases his forehead at Sunggyu. He couldn’t quite catch what the elder had mumbled.

“Amusement park!” Sunggyu eagerly shouts and snaps his finger before he dashes full throttle towards the said place. Woohyun and Howon who barely caught what the elder had yelled are left perplexed behind before they quickly speed up their steps into running, following the eldest male even though they still have no clue as to where they’re heading for.

It takes them almost twenty minutes to reach the said amusement park. Sunggyu’s tiny eyes are already raking the surroundings as he frantically looks for the small figure of Myungsoo as soon as he arrives at the place. Woohyun and Howon only close in a few seconds later before joining his venture of looking for the missing boy. They take a few hurried steps as they roam around the place, bodies turning hastily and feet rustling clumsily looking for Myungsoo. Sunggyu is just about to give up the place and ventures for another one when a familiar unique voice suddenly falls into his ears.

“Uncle! Please, let me borrow some money! I promise I’ll return them to you first thing tomorrow! Please uncle!” He hears Myungsoo’s desperate plea somewhere near him and he immediately knows that he’s close.

Slowly, Sunggyu turns on his feet and traces the source of that voice and his heart just drops at the sight that greets him then. Myungsoo is rushing towards a middle-aged lady when that uncle had ignored him, stumbling on his legs when he gently takes hold of her arm, stopping her from leaving.

“Aunty! Aunty! Please, lend me some money. Please! I need them. I promise I’ll return them so please, lend me some money.” He begs once again, tugging on the elder’s arm with a desperate look.

“Please, aunty! I really need them!” He pleads again but it only earns him a loud scoff from the elder woman.

“And then what? You’ll end up using the money to get into the amusement park, won’t you?” She throws Myungsoo a dirty look before rolling her eyes annoyed when she sees the hesitant look on the boy’s face.

“Y-yes, that’s true, b-but it’s not like what you think it is— ouch!”Myungsoo yelps in pain when the woman suddenly tugs her arm out of the former’s hold, pushing him hard to the ground in the process as he harshly lands on his bottom.

Sunggyu widens his eyes at the scene, feeling something akin to a mix of worry and anger rumbling beneath his chest as he storms his way towards them.

“Myungsoo!!” He yells his name loudly and sprints towards the stumbled boy, startling both Woohyun and Howon with his shout before they turn around and make a dash along Sunggyu’s path.

“Huh, kids nowadays. Even begging for money just to have some fun. Shameless.” The middle-aged lady spats before she throws another dirty look at Myungsoo and leave him just stunned on the ground.

“Myungsoo!” Three voices mesh together in worry when the three of them finally reach the boy. Myungsoo snaps his head up in surprise when he hears the familiar voices, his eyes bulging out even wider when he sees the three figures in front of him. While Sunggyu almost immediately kneels and scramble on the ground as he approaches for Myungsoo and explore his body, looking for any trace of injury.

“Myungsoo, are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere? Talk to me, Myungsoo! Tell me if you’re hurt anywhere!” Sunggyu’s frantic voice finally pulls the younger out of his shock.

“S-Sunggyu hyung, what, what are you guys doing here?” He manages to ask as he slowly stands up with Sunggyu’s arms holding him for support measure.

And it’s then when Sunggyu suddenly bursts out loud. “You!!” He yells. His face deeply flushed, his eyes narrowing into slits as he strongly grips on Myungsoo’s shoulder. The youngest boy instinctively flinches because of the sudden burst. He eyes the elder nervously yet he doesn’t know what to make out of Sunggyu’s flushed face. Is it anger? Worry? Exhaustion? He couldn’t quite decipher the look on the doctor’s face. But assuming from the violent tremble of Sunggyu’s arms that are holding tight onto his shoulder, Myungsoo is partially sure that Sunggyu is angry with him. Worried maybe, but he's most probably angry. He’s even more sure about it when he sees Sunggyu’s chin quivers as he’s about to scold him. Myungsoo has already had his eyes tight shut when he sees Sunggyu's hand lifted high in the air as it readies to swing forward. Only the hit and the scolding never really came when a pair of cold, rough skin softly touc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter