2/4

Office Romance
Please log in to read the full chapter

                Youngjae swallowed past the lump in his throat, pushing the food on his plate around, eyes locked to it as though the noodles were the most interesting thing he had ever seen.  He knew what rumors the man had probably heard.  They were the same ones everyone else already knew about, the reason that dating policy had been established in the first place.  But if that was the case…Youngjae snuck a glance at Himchan, wondering.  No one that wasn’t already with the company ever asked him what happened, so if Himchan had heard the rumors, why was he here now?  He chewed on his lower lip for a moment before voicing his question.

                “Are they true?” Youngjae’s eyes roamed over Himchan’s face, studying him carefully.  He didn’t look as though he was judging him but merely asking a question to which he wanted the answer.

                “I guess that depends on which version you heard.  They all have a bit of truth.” Youngjae murmured, dropping his fork and pushing the plate away, no longer hungry.  “I didn’t realize people were still talking about it.”

                “I think it was more of a ‘fill the new guy in so he doesn’t get too close to the troublemaker’ moment than anything else.” Himchan replied, following suit with his own lunch.  “As for the version, I heard you have a habit for dating coworkers simultaneously which caused trouble.  Hence the dating policy.”

                The waitress came over, clearing their dishes.  Youngjae was slightly surprised when Himchan ordered dessert and another coffee.  No wonder the man showed up early.  He probably had trouble sleeping with the excessive caffeine.  He waited until the waitress left and they were alone again to continue.  “True I’m one of the parties responsible for the dating policy, but I’ve only dated one coworker.  Turns out I just chose the wrong one.”

                He was being surveyed again, Himchan’s eyes gliding over his face.  “What does that mean?  Why the wrong one?”

                “It was great for a couple months, then it was good, and then it was something to end.”  Youngjae bit his lower lip, uncomfortable with the memories that surfaced with the question.  He swallowed hard, focusing on the table top so he could talk without being effected by Himchan.  Why he even felt the need to explain himself to Himchan was beyond him.  “It’s hard to end something with someone that won’t take ‘no’ as an answer.  And when the CEO is someone that frowns on same relationships anyway…enforcing a restraining order is just a hassle and a waste of time.  No matter why it was granted.  Obviously the person that went through the trouble of getting it is just seeking attention.”

                He could feel the old anger stirring inside him, his hands clenching into fists.  Himchan’s voice asking yet another question grounded him a bit.  “Why was it granted?”

                “It doesn’t matter.” He mumbled, shaking his head.  It didn’t, not anymore.  Everything was done and over.

                Himchan frowned.  “It does matter.  What happened?”  

                “It was just harassment and…” Youngjae shook his head again, looking away from Himchan.  Shame still ate away at him when he had to think back.  He could have done things differently—should have done things differently.  “…and just some bruises.  It was nothing extreme.”

                “I don’t believe you.” Himchan declared calmly, jerking Youngjae’s gaze back to his own.  “I know what it takes to get a restraining order here.  They don’t grant them if it’s nothing extreme.”

                Youngjae stared at him in silence, not quite knowing what to say next.  Himchan was a virtual stranger calling him out for glossing over the nastier details.  He wasn’t damning him, wasn’t disgusted.  Why wasn’t he?  His voice was small and almost fragile when he spoke.  “You sound like you believe me.”

                “Is there a reason I shouldn’t?” Youngjae was saved from immediately responding when the waitress returned with Himchan’s dessert and coffee.  He studied the elder, wondering why the man would believe him when he had just met him and briefly at that.  He was gorgeous and new, and he believed him.  Youngjae had no idea how to take him in now, but he could feel himself begin to melt.

                “You don’t even know me.”

                Himchan smiled, and Youngjae felt something inside him flutter wildly.  This was bad.  “No, probably not well yet, but I like to think I’m a good judge of character.  You just don’t seem like the type to cause trouble just for the sake of it.” Youngjae blinked in surprise as a fork was into his hand.  “I hardly need this entire piece of cake to myself.  Hope you like red velvet.”

                “Himchan, I can’t—“

                “You can because I’m offering it to you.  Whether you want to or not is entirely different.” Himchan retorted, catching Youngjae off guard.  Another smile was sent his way, this time from around a fork, and Youngjae was once again subject to a blush creeping over his cheeks.  They both remained silent as he reached out to take a bite of the cake which ended up being delicious.  Minutes passed in silence, the atmosphere between them comfortable even as Y

Please log in to read the full chapter