1/4

Office Romance
Please log in to read the full chapter

                Youngjae sang softly as he moved around the small kitchen, pouring his morning coffee.  He loved coming in so early.  No one was in the office, and only the occasional sound of a copier kicking on and his singing broke the silence.  Honestly, these first thirty minutes of the workday were his favorite.  No phone calls, no emails, no other voices – it was the only time he could call the office peaceful.  He let his head bob along to the music flowing through his mind, body swaying as he let his voice rise.

                “This is a nice welcome.”

                Youngjae squeaked loudly, hip banging against the countertop as he spun around to face the intruder.  His heart slammed almost painfully in his chest, surprise and a shiver of fear running through him.  The man wasn’t anyone he had seen before, and he wondered how he had entered the secured building.  “Who are you?”

                Mahogany hair fell forward into the man’s eyes, making him look almost boyish as he smiled and stepped forward to offer his hand.  “Kim Himchan.  Today’s my first day.”

                “Yoo Youngjae.” Youngjae shook his hand and glanced at his watch, knowing full well he should still have at least another fifteen undisturbed minutes.  “You’re a little early.  No one’s usually here until eight.”

                “You are.” Himchan pointed out, smiling playfully.  Youngjae stared for a moment, feeling heat rise to his cheeks beneath the coal black gaze.  Goodness, where did they find this man?

                The beeping of the microwave saved him from having to answer and from any further embarrassment for the moment, giving him a reason to turn his back on the man.  The oatmeal was slightly dry but not nearly deserving of the amount of attention he lavished on it as an excuse to avoid looking at Himchan.  His effort was useless.

                Himchan’s jacket clad arm brushed against his own when he moved up to stand next to him.  “Would you mind giving me a quick tour?  They didn’t really show me much other than the conference room last time.”

                Youngjae refrained from sighing, realizing he was not going to get his peaceful morning.  Instead he was going to deal with the cute new employee who apparently had no hesitation in flirting with coworkers.  Pasting a smile on his face he nodded, turning to the brunette.  “Sure.”

                Despite his reluctance, Himchan had him laughing before they were halfway finished, his comments about different offices and cubicles comedic.  At least until they reached Youngjae’s.  Himchan frowned as he glanced around the space, unaware of whose desk it was.  “Whoever sits here needs a hobby.  Or boy or girlfriend.  Why so impersonal?”

                “Maybe he likes his privacy.  Or maybe he doesn’t want to be distracted from his work.” Youngjae answered, only mildly offended, waiting patiently for the man to realize his mistake.

                Himchan glanced at him, mouth open on a retort, and Youngjae could see the moment he realized.  “.  It’s your desk, isn’t it?”

                Youngjae nodded, chuckling at the apologetic expression on the man’s face.  He should probably feel more upset but what was the point?  It was just a desk.  The chagrined look was actually kind of charming on Himchan even as he offered an apology.  “Really, though, why nothing?  There’s not anything you feel passionate about enough to display?  Nothing you’re proud of?”

                “Just because I’m proud doesn’t mean I have to put it out there for everyone to see.” He shrugged and sent Himchan a playful smile.  “Maybe I’m married with two kids I’m very proud of.”

                Himchan stared at him, shocked.  “You

Please log in to read the full chapter