Always Buy Your Mattress Before Your Bedframe

Bad Neighbor

Jiyong took another left. This had to have been the sixth turn he'd made in the past 20 minutes.

"Ok hyung now we just have to go a biiiiiit farther and then we turn right." Jiyong let out a long suffering sigh, "Seungri, you DO know where we're going right?"

"Yeah hyung of course! Right here, HYUNG TUUURN RIGHT"
Jiyong's car screeched into the turn lane at the last second before he turned to Seungri again.

"It would be much easier if you would just let me put the address into the GPS..."
Seungri looked up at Jiyong from the tiny map he'd pulled up on his phone, the look on his face read scandalized.
"No hyung! This is a surprise, remember? If I tell you the address then it'll ruin it!"

Jiyong turned his face back to the road, frustration tight in his shoulders. All he wanted was to go buy some damn furniture for the spare bedroom. He hadn't dared ask top for fear of having to listen to a 40 minute explanation on chair structure and versatility, and D-Lite was busy, so he had just taken Seungri with him. And when Seungri wanted to stop by somewhere before going furniture shopping, Jiyong agreed. Suuuure why not Seungri? Stopping by somewhere was no problem! Driving this rented van was no problem either, even though it was so much harder to drive than his sleek black maserati. Jiyong could just drive around all damn day! Jiyong loved the stale wind that blew through the AC vents, the millions of street signs, and the drivers that oh so lovingly cut you off. Simply beautiful.

"OK LAST TURN! LEFT HERE!" Jiyong nearly snapped the steering wheel. If he ever had to hear the word "turn" again after leaving this car, he was going to lose it.

Where they ended up pulling into was a wide parking lot that stretched never endingly and seemed to be completely filled with cars. Jiyong refused to drive any longer, so he pulled into the first parking spot he laid his eyes on and jumped out before Seungri could suggest they park closer. Across the lot from their spot, a huge dark blue building rose up from the ground like a fortress that could only ever have come from Europe. There were strips of yellow dotted along parts of the building, and a couple of white English letters stood stark against the blue near the entrance.

"Eye kehhhhh ah?" The hell was this? Jiyong had never even heard of this word before! And he listened to a lot of American music, so he knew English better than almost everyone he knew. Almost.

"It's IKEA hyung! Y'know, a furniture store that's really popular in Europe and America? I saw characters go to one in a movie once! And they finally opened this one last week! Let's go let's go!!" Seungri, overexcited as he was, manhandled the grumpy producer over to the blue and yellow entrance.

For Jiyong to say that the place was impressive was a great understatement. It was practically like a house, no, 30 houses inside. There were rooms set up throughout the upper level that you could walk past and look at, there was a play room for kids near the entrance, and there was even a restaurant. With real food. In a place where they sold couches and lamps. It must be a western thing.. Thought Jiyong.

Seungri had insisted on going into every model of every room, and it seemed Jiyong could never say no to him, so he too was forced to go through the "full Ikea experience". There were maps every so often around the store to "guide" patrons, but pictures of giraffes could have been put up in their places for the whole lot of good that they did. Two hours in, Seungri decided that he had had his fill of Swedish design, and since they had picked out a bed, side table, dresser, rug, lamp, and a dozen other things for Jiyong's spare bedroom, they threw in the towel and asked a worker to lead them to the pickup area to get their things. The "pickup area" Jiyong learned, was a giant warehouse INSIDE the store. Also, he learned that the furniture came in flat brown boxes. Which meant that it came in pieces.

"We have to put this stuff together?!!? Isn't the point of buying something that you don't have to make it yourself????"
Seungri, already well researched in on the topic of how difficult putting together Ikea furniture was, tried his best to shush Jiyong, though the eyes of other shoppers pointed in their direction showed how futile his efforts were.
"Jiyong, Jiyong, Jiyong... Don't you know? This is how they do it in Europe! They buy this elegant furniture, and they spend time with family and friends putting it together. They create with their own hands! Like true men!" Seungri grinned. "...And women!" He added as an afterthought.
Jiyong simply nodded and pushed the cart down the aisle number he had scribbled on his list. He folded, if only so that he could buy his sh*t and leave this awful place.

 

 

 

 

Jiyong didn't have many regrets in his life. He had worked at improving his talents since he was a toddler, he had made many good career and business choices, and he even has no regrets over his past relationships. Lady luck always smiled down upon Kwon Jiyong. However, it seemed that today she was feeling particularly sadistic.

His misfortune found shape in the pieces of black-painted Ikea wood that surrounded him like fallen soldiers, and he, their general, who had failed them in battle, laid sprawled amongst them on his living room floor. Seungri's murmurs became the makeshift funeral march in the background as he attempted to make sense of the instructions.
"Ok so back to the beginning. Side A goes on top of side D and into the gap of side C... But wait why is side B over there? Are we missing this part? We are definitely missing parts..." He glanced over at the parts and began to drift off into thoughts when his eyes landed on Jiyong. They had started off strongly, about 45 minutes ago, until two arguments and one breakdown happened. Thus far, Seungri thought that it was going better than the internet had described to him. He was sure that he was on the verge of a breakthrough when two quick knocks sounded at the door. His eyes wandered over again to Jiyong, who remained motionless.

"Aren't you going to answer that hyung? This is your house..." Jiyong only grunted in response, prompting the younger of the two to pull himself up and answer the door. After the short chime that followed when Seungri unlocked the pinpad door, the door swung open to reveal a man shorter than Seungri standing with his back to the door. His brown hair drooped down heavy with product and his shoulders followed suit in a similar casual droop, but despite his smaller stature the man seemed large in his upright posture and bulging muscles. Looking down the corridor, the man hadn't seen that it was Seungri who had answered, so he talked casually.

"Yah... So that guy that you said was yodelling earlier, has he stopped? You haven't called me to complain about him in a while so I thought that either he stopped or you we dead-" his words cut off as he turned and his eyes landed on the blond man. Face to face with someone he didn't know, his shy personality immediately overshadowed any previous easiness he displayed before.

"Uh- uhm h- hello... Is this... Does... Kwon Jiyong still live here?"

"Yah!" A brassy voice shouted immediately from inside the apartment, "It's Youngbae! How was the trip to Japan? You were supposed to call me when you got to the airport you a**! I totally forgot you were coming back today!"
Seungri moved aside to reveal Jiyong, who still remained on the floor amongst a sea of dark wood, with only his head and an accusing finger raised.
Youngbae chuckled and walked into the apartment, making himself comfortable on the new black couch that Jiyong had personally delivered that day from his favourite furniture designer. Youngbae and Seungri were given quick introductions by Jiyong, "Youngbae, this is Seungri, that crazy neighbour, and Seungri, this is my best friend Youngbae", and after a dramatic retelling of their Ikea experience and a quick summary of Youngbae's trip to Japan, the three began to talk comfortably. Seungri had been studying Japanese lately, so the two exchanged a couple of words, but it was clear that Seungri was much better.
However, it turned out that Youngbae was better at deciphering Ikea's wordless instructions, and with his help, Jiyong and Seungri got back to work building the side table and bed combo they had started on earlier. After some silence, Seungri tried to start up the conversation again,

"So, Youngbae-ssi, how did you and Jiyong-hyung first meet?"
The short man perked up from where he sat on the couch pouring over the instruction booklet. "Oh, Ji and I met at YG studios when we were still both teenagers. We both signed up as trainees but I ended up as a choreographer and dance instructor, while this guy here became a mega producer."
Jiyong tried to hide his bashful grin but otherwise said nothing.

"What about you Seungri?" YB asked, "Where do you work?"
It was now Jiyong's turn to perk up. Now that he thought about it, he hadn't seen Seungri go to work yet. And if he had an apartment in a ritzy building like this, he had to have a good job...

Seungri paled when both pairs of eyes trained on him. "I- I um... I want to be a singer... But right now I work in a hotel..." 

What? A hotel? Jiyong thought, is he a manager or something?
"Oh which hotel is it?" Youngbae asked, interest peaked.
"Its... Just the Conrad Seoul Hotel..." Seungri said, turning his head back down to the table leg he was screwing into place. Youngbae pushed on. 

"Woah that place is ritzy! What do you do there?"
Seungri his lips again nervously. Jiyong zeroed in on the action suspiciously but decided to say nothing.

"I work as the concierge, I've just had a few days off recently"
"Wahhh that job must pay really well then!" Youngbae said, then turned his attention to the assembled furniture. "Well then, since I'm done helping you two hopeless causes build your stuff, I'm gonna take my leave. But we should have dinner together sometime! It was nice meeting you Seungri-ah." A friendly wave accompanied Youngbae's sentiment.

"Yeah yeah, just get going to your girlfriend" Jiyong chuckled, pushing him out the door. Seungri waved goodbye from where he was sitting near the couch before Jiyong closed the door. When Jiyong turned back around, Seungri stood up and stretched sore muscles.

"Ahh let's drag this stuff into the guest bedroom hyung, so we can get some sleep. Ikea is much more tiring than it looked in that movie." Jiyong was about to reply, but paused, looking at the assembled bedframe in the middle of the room.
"Seungri... Aren't beds supposed to have... A mattress?"
Seungri whipped around and collapsed to his knees. How... How had they forgotten the mattress... Out of all things...

"Nooooooooooo Jiyong we have to go back!"
"Well there's nothing we can do tonight I guess." Jiyong said, checking the time on his phone while a devilish smile curled at his lips, "You're going to just have to sleep with me again."

 

 

 

 

"...What a pity"
"Hyuuuuuung!"

 

_________________________________________________________________

Hello everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter... Even though it was very slow coming along.... BUT I finally managed!

Did you guys see the MAMAs?? Did you see Seungri sitting on that exo member' lap!!!!!! That was some fanfic wet dreams right there... But that's why I'm a Seungri stan ahhhhhh... Also if it seemed like Seungri was hiding something while talking to Youngbae then you may be right, but that'll have to wait until the next chapter ~

Please leave any and all feedback or reactions that pop into your heads and until next time, stay primo!