The Last Performance of the Greatest Korean Yodeler that Has Ever Lived

Bad Neighbor

Jiyong pulled himself up and slanted his eyes across the expanse of his apartment. The studio style place had at first seemed to have everything he wanted in a living space: floor to ceiling windows, modern architecture, a bathroom the size of a small country, but goddammit none of that made up for the fact that his neighbor seems to be a f  king nutcase.

     The muffled yodels drifted through the walls and rang in Jiyong's head, making his head pound with every rise and fall of the voice. He decided that he couldn't take a single minute more of this torment, and slumped off his couch with a sigh, pulling himself up to stand. Jiyong wandered around his apartment to find which side of his apartment the talent was on before murdering the poor soul who dared to piss him off. It'd been 2 months. TWO MONTHS since he first moved in here and learned of his neighbor's habit. The yodeling always began between 2 and 5 in the morning and almost always lasted a little more than an hour.

Who, wondered Jiyong, yodels for fun past midnight? And who, specifically, does that in a country like Korea?

It wouldn't have really been a problem if he normally fell asleep at around 10:00pm, but being a music producer made him stay up until ungodly hours just striving for perfection.

He passed by his bathroom and entered the laundry room, placing an ear to the wall above his dryer. The edge of the dryer dug into his hipbone but the pain went unnoticed because he had finally found it. The torturous sound was loudest right in that spot, on the right side of his apartment. "So he's the one living in 412 eh?" Kwon Jiyong smiled. It was time to finally tell his neighbor what he thinks of his nightly serenades.

 

--

 

Standing in front of the door to apartment 412 seemed to sap Jiyong of his past resolve. He was a multimillion dollar producer who ordered around some of the biggest acts in Korea, but in truth Jiyong was shy when his tough producer exterior came down. He felt like his heart wanted to free itself from his chest as he stood there in the empty hallway. Jiyong had to remind himself of the situation at hand and steel his resolve, before bringing two fingers down to press the doorbell. A fleeting worry had him hoping the yodeler wasnt a gym maniac or taller than him, but it quickly disappeared as panic set in when the faint yodels stopped abruptly. The door swung open moments later, revealing a man who was similar Jiyongs height with a shock of bleached blonde hair on his head, pink lips curled in what seemed to be a pacifying smile, and the most arresting eyes Jiyong had seen in a while. His heart gave up trying to burst through his ribcage and decided his throat was the next best escape route.

"Hello.." The man said after Jiyong had stared a hole through his face. "Can I help you?"
Jiyong was so mezmerized that what the blonde man asked didn't register right away. Yeah his neighbor could definitely help Jiyong in private- wait, wait, did his neighbor not realize that he'd done something wrong? Screw this guy's good looks, Jiyong thought, the task at hand has returned to the center of the table.

"Yeah, actually, I'm the tenant living next door to you. I was just wondering if you knew that yodeling at the top of your lungs at 3am on a Thursday is not allowed when you live in such close proximity to others? And especially not allowed when those people are trying to sleep?" The man's smiled dropped at Jiyong's words and his face went blank. Jiyong hoped that the embarassment of being confronted made the yodeler cease his ways, but life is never quite so convenient.

With slightly trembling lips, the man living in apartment 412 stammered out,
"Hhhhow could this hap-pen? I-I'm so sorry I had no idea. Is... is it only allowed on weekends?"...

The weight of fatigue seemed to double as Jiyong dropped his head in frustration. This little . Jiyong's irritation at his neighbor burst into full on rage. He hadn't slept for 53 hours because of the recent album he was mixing at the studio and he was at a breaking point. Jiyong dearly needed some rest and this soggy eggroll of a man was making jokes with him? Past 3 am???? While Jiyong was standing in the hallway in his Ralph Lauren slippers????¿?? The producer had had enough, and suddenly faced a moment of weakness. Of course, he would have never done something like this in normal circumstances, but not sleeping for more hours than there are states in the United States of America does things to you. And so, Jiyong punched the man. Straight in his beautifully sculpted jaw.

.

 

--

 

Usually when a person falls over and doesn't get back up or move, they look very dead. This thought occurred to Jiyong, so he decicded that the best way to deal with the situation was to drag the man into apartment 412 and shut the door.

The apartment inside seemed to be similar in layout but slightly smaller than Jiyong's, with more furniture filling the rooms. Where Jiyong's place was minimal with clean-cut lines, this apartment was plush and luxurious. His eyes moved from his surroundings to the apartment's owner, lying limp on the ground. The man's perfect face was thrown sideways dramatically, with his cheek sinking into the plush hallway carpet. Trembling fingers pushed against his neck, and a sigh of relief broke the tense silence when a pulse thrummed beneath them. Jiyong in a breath as he picked up, carried, and then promptly dumped the man face first onto the white leather couch and the living room lights. He sat down next to the body and in a totally not creepy way ran his hand through his neighbors hair(ok it was a little creepy) to check if there were any cuts or bruises that were caused by the fall. The blond man had fallen on carpet but Jiyong couldn't be too sure, so he looked thoroughly, feeling the pale strands slide over his fingers. After checking every inch he could see, he flipped the man onto his back and checked his face. A bruise had just begun to darken on his chin, but otherwise there was no harm done. Relief flooded Jiyong and the loss of adrenaline made his limbs feel heavy once again. He got up and left the room to go pour a glass of water for his neighbor before he left, but nearly dropped the glass when he returned.

The blonde man was sitting up and looking disorientedly around the room. His eyes suddenly met with Jiyongs and the atmosphere in the room seemed to drown out all sound before recognition lit up the blonde man's face. Irritation followed right after.

"You- you PUNCHED me!" It was too late at night for this. "In the FACE?!" Or was it actually considered too early in the morning? "You have RINGS on your HAND!" Jiyong needs some sleep. "Why would you hit such a beautiful face??!!?" Or a drink.

"If you hadn't decided you wanted to sound like a dying animal in the middle of the night almost EVERY night then I would have never had had to come over here and-"

"WELL YOU DIDNT HAVE TO COME OVER HERE AND USE MY FACE AS PRACTICE FOR WHATEVER MARTIAL ARTS YOU SEEM TO DO BECAUSE DAMMIT YOU HIT ME SO HARD AND WHAT IF I HAD BITTEN MY TONGUE OFF???? THEN HOW WOULD I BE ABLE COMPILE A LIST OF RESTAURANT RECOMMENDATIONS FOR MY FRIENDS AND I-"

"I'M SORRY!" The blonde man stilled into silence at the sudden apology. He locked his eyes on Jiyong and sat up straighter, prompting Jiyong to continue.  

"I'm sorry ok? Im... sorry for punching you, but I just haven't slept for over two days and I just can't take any more..."

"Any more what?" Piped the Blonde man. Jiyong was going to burst a vein at this point.

"F  KING YODELING "

"Ah ah yeah, I'm sorry I asked that stupid question about weekends," the f  ker looked sheepish as he talked "I just tried to lighten the mood so you wouldn't be mad... But really, I didn't know you could hear me every night! The realtor told me the walls were soundproof when I bought this place and no one has ever complained before..." 

Jiyong sighed, that did make sense as to why he yodeled without caring about his neighbors, but why-
"Why are you yodeling at 3am? Or at all?"
The man looked down and his lips. Jiyong's eyes followed the movement before he quickly averted his eyes.

"The thing is, I want to be a singer and my vocal teacher told me that yodeling is a good warm up for strengthening your voice and controlling your breathing so I thought.... That... Doing it more often would make my voice really strong.... I guess?" 
Jiyong couldn't help it anymore. He... He...

He laughed. He laughed for so long and so hard that he though that he was going to pass out on that stupid white couch. Seungri didn't understand what Jiyong found funny but smiled, glad that he wasn't on the receiving end of another punch. It took 3 minutes for Jiyong to calm down enough to reply.

"You're cute." The kid was damn cute. Almost every night he had earnestly yodeled, that is to say warbled nonsense for hours on end, so that he could sing better. The innocence was charming and the attempt was... impressive, in a way.

Jiyong stood and went to the kitchen again, returning with a bag of frozen vegetables for the man to place on his bruise, and another glass of water for himself. Blondie smiled and thanked Jiyong, before setting aside the vegetables and presenting his hand proudly to shake Jiyong's.

"We met in bad circumstances so lets start again. My name is Lee Seunghyun, but I prefer using Seungri because its less stiff, 23 years old."

Jiyong took his neighbor's outstretched hand. He felt warmth spread in his chest as his eyes once again met the deep brown eyes of the building's resident yodeler. "Hello Seungri, my name is Kwon Jiyong, your neighbor in apartment 411."

 

 

"But you can call me hyung."

 

 

 

----

Hello reader! Artello here, I apologize for how short the story is but I didnt want to drag it out past its worth. I may make this a whole AU with the other big bang members but we'll see how that goes. -Credit for the AU prompt goes to brotherjem on tumblr-

Thank you very much for reading! Feel free to leave any comments or suggestions!~ ヾ(*´∀`*)ノ ~