Anagapesis

Back At One

Jinyoung silently sits on a couch with his phone on hand. He was browsing through his Instagram account with an unchanging smile on his face. It was really heart-warming to see people of all ages- mostly teens and young adults enjoying the simple joys in life and sharing it through pictures. He’s a fan of art, all available kinds and possible classifications of it. He can feel the gentle breeze from the AC wrapping up his tired limbs. As of now, all he wanted was to rest after a long tiring day at work.

A dentist by profession, meeting different kinds of people every single day isn’t a new thing for him. Sometimes his pleasant patients come in good amount but there were times when they just don’t. “Almost done with the last patient!“  A voice spoke and it surprised him eventually. It was Jaebum, Jinyoung’s friend and a dentist who works at the same clinic as well. He was gulping on a bottled energy drink. Jinyoung smiled at him. "You should be inside. What are you doing here?!” asked the younger, earning a chuckle from Jaebum. “I’m waiting for the teeth fillings to settle first. Which means 15 minutes break for me.” he chimed while giving a bright look at the other dentist. Jinyoung nodded and went back to looking on his phone.

“No more patients?” Jaebum intriggued, sitting beside Jinyoung. He was the first one to yawn, and then Jinyoung followed. They smiled to themselves for a while, knowing how contagious a yawn can be. All of a sudden, Jaebum rested his head on top of Jinyoung’s shoulder. He was breathing serenely as their white coats hand around their toned bodies. The motions of Jaebum’s body lessen, he was not moving a lot. “You can’t sleep now, sleepyhead.” Jinyoung whispered without looking at him. Jaebum remained still and somehow snuggled closer to the man. “Isn’t it obvious that I’m already done?” he added with a low laugh.

“Can I sleep in your place tonight?” Jaebum asked.

Jinyoung raised his brow and pushed Jaebum away playfully. “Huh? Why?”

“The AC unit in my condo stopped working this morning.” he casually answered as he reclined on his friend’s shoulder once again. Jinyoung has no complains with this at all, he enjoys his friends’ attention and he’s blessed to have met them through the years. He rolled his eyes and ruffled Jaebum’s soft locks. “Buy me dinner.” he said.

“Deal.” Jaebum agreed as he closed his eyes and enjoyed the warmth of the other. “Your break is almost done. Get your off this couch and finish your work so we can leave already.” He commanded. Jaebum stubbornly stood up and scratched his back. He can say that Jinyoung is the type of person who likes getting things done as soon as possible. Every second for him is very much important. There’s no room for wasting time. 
“Wait for me, okay? 30 minutes more.” and Jaebum walked towards the small room located at the side of the area. Jinyoung scanned through more photos and he was taken back after seeing a shot of the Namsan tower and the love locks along its railings. It was utterly painful to look at it. There was a taste of longing, anger and regret. Nostalgia- but its hundred times worse.  He tossed his phone on the side as he felt like all his interest was vanished in an instant. His mood dropped down rapidly, there’s no way to go far from this situation now especially when the haunting is almost there.

With his eyes closed, Jinyoung tried to breathe properly, hoping that an exhale could wash off all the approaching pain. But it didn’t helped; not at all. He was there, sitting with his insides slowly shaking due to the flashback of all those bittersweet or maybe just bitter by now. It should’ve subsided. All his hatred should be fading slowly but there were times when Mark’s soothing voice echoes at the back of his brain. There were these nights when his touches seemed to ghost over Jinyoung’s skin.

 

It would be a lot easier if they ended in a nice way. Although it’s pure irony to completely end something that has become your addiction in a beautiful and insanely admirable process. Jinyoung never knew that Mark can hurt him in such a way that he’ll never forget. It’s not about the cheating stuff but it’s how Mark seemed to toy him around and throw him away after he’s done. He felt like Mark never had the balls to take their relationship seriously.

Of course Jinyoung loved him. But maybe the intensity of their love isn’t the issue at all, perhaps it’s the person alone. He was unsure if Mark loved him through it all. He convinced himself for a couple of times that Mark might have felt the same; that Mark loved him genuinely. But why would you cheat on someone that you love? Why would you dump them in a very inhumane manner? Why would you leave? Why would you stop loving? All those questions hit him hard, non-stop and constant.

At least they had their good times before their flame ran out. Jinyoung hated the fact that he can still remember all of those. He hated that he could still recall how every moment seemed to be so perfect, so precious, so endless. He thought that years of unwavering anger could take away every fragment of memory but everything remains crystal clear. He wanted to get rid of everything that simply involves a certain person named Mark Tuan yet this mission looks like a tough one. He’s been trying for years. And maybe the more you force yourself to forget someone, the more you burry them deep inside your life- through your hopes and dreams.

 

“Nyoung!” and Jinyoung opened his eyes surprisingly. Jaebum was standing before him with his backpack. He was smiling widely at Jinyoung with the hint of teasing. “Had a good nap?” he followed.

“Nope. I’m not sleeping, you idiot.”

“Geez! I’ve been calling you over and over again but you’re not answering. You’re not even moving!” Jaebum complained as Jinyoung reached for his phone and decided to stand up. Jinyoung walked towards the nearby table and fetched his bag without a word. His restlessness was usually seen through his eyes but it seems greater now. “You okay?” Jaebum asked after seeing the sadness masking over his friend’s beautiful face.

Jinyoung turned around with a smile, a fake one of course. He wrapped an arm around Jaebum’s shoulder. “Just tired.” he spoke. Although Jaebum knows the truth, he chose not to protest. Jinyoung was probably crawling down the memory lane once again. He thought. As a friend, seeing Jinyoung in this state simply saddens him. He was there right from the start for their strong bond begun during high school. He was there when Jinyoung saw Mark for the first time, playing basketball. He was there during the break up, comforting his friend and promising not to leave him alone in his journey. And up until now, Jaebum remains true to his words.

“Whatever. Let’s get going before the freaking traffic our leftover energy.”

 

Jinyoung nodded and they headed towards the door. One last glance to check the lights and plugs was done before finally turning the knob and pulling it open. Jinyoung stands behind his friend as he opened his bag to search for the keys of his car. He could hear the door creak, indicating that they’re close to heading out. “I wonder where you will ask me to drive for tonight’s dinner.” he asked playfully.

“I’ll pay for your gas fees don’t worry.” And they both laughed as they left the room.

 

They were few blocks away from the parking lot with tons of entertaining topics and fun filled conversations happening in between. Jinyoung seemed to find his peace of mind once again. He was lively chatting with no more signs of loneliness radiating within his orbs. Laughs and chuckles bugged the dark and cold paths of the lot. Jinyoung can see his car from his place by now, yet he could also spot a silhouette of a man standing near it. They went further, notwithstanding his growing nervousness and uneasiness. He can’t help but to feel scared. The beats on his chest intensified. They were few inches away, “Who’s that?” Jaebum asked.

“I don’t know either. I’m quite scared, you know.”

“You’re always scared. Anyway, i got you. No need to worry.” Jaebum bluntly said, putting an arm around Jinyoung’s waist and pulling him closer. Involuntarily, his finger pressed a soft spot located along the younger’s side. It was so sudden that it caught Jinyoung off guard. He chuckled at the tingling sensation. “Hey!” he yelped between his laughs. Jaebum seemed to pick up the set up and applied more pressure to that certain part, resulting for Jinyoung to squirm and make high pitched, incoherent sounds. In short, Jaebum tickled Jinyoung as if they were kids on a local playground. “S-Stop! Oh my god, Jaebum!” he breathlessly said as he tried to breathe properly. Jaebum was still giggling as they continue to take small steps towards the car. But little did they know that the man was already looking at them with a mounding pain in his heart.

Jinyoung was the first one to recognize him. It was so surreal and his own little world happened to stop. “M-Mark?!”

“Jinyoung…”

 

Their eyes met in the most melodramatic way. They were standing with almost a meter in between but the connection is indefinable. Mark’s heart pumped so loud that he could hear it beat through his ears. The last time that he felt like this was probably way too long ago. His fingers were hardening, even his limbs. Jinyoung’s beauty is truly timeless. He thought as he admired his past lover’s undying radiance. If he only has the courage to move a little closer and pull the man in his arms, he would do it swiftly and smoothly. But it isn’t that easy. The tension gets deeper as each dead second passes by. He could see Jinyoung’s confused yet bitter look which doubles the fright. Mark gulped, easing his nervousness and preparing to talk. But right after moving a slow step forward, he noticed a man clinging on Jinyoung as if his life depends on him. Jealousy reigned in a huge portion of his heart. His nerves felt like tightening as he continued to endure the scene in front of him; the scene that screams a thousand of meanings. He collected his scattered thoughts. He, more than anyone else present in that said set up, should be the one to drop the initial move. After all, this is his plan. Simple logic.

“H-Hi! A-A-Ahhmmm..” Mark stuttered badly. He couldn’t say the right words, the exact words that he practiced right in front of a comfort room mirror 15 hours ago. It feels so damn different now. He’s tongue tied and near to his melting point. He can’t turn back now. “I….”

“Excuse us, we’re in a hurry.” Jinyoung coldly replied without even trying to break the intense eye contact. It was strange. How Jinyoung seemed to act completely fine after all that happened. Well, that was all in the past; 6 damned years ago to be exact. He saw this scenario coming yet he came armed and prepared. Mark knew that it’s just another lame excuse coming from the person who once cried his eyeballs in front of him. Of course, Jinyoung is still angry and the intensity of his anger is too much that time can no longer erase it. But Mark’s determination turns into boiling desperation. He can’t let this night end this way. Not when Jinyoung walks away with another man firmly clinging on him.

Mind going blank, Jinyoung’s insides were badly shaking. His limbs were softening as if it were being soaked in acid. His mouth was dry and words seem to stuck underneath his throat until it creates deep and painful scratches due to its deprived release. There was a salad of emotions running through his once calm being. His anger prevails, once and for all. He’s angry for countless reasons. Pain was also there. It all flashed back like a lighting on a perfect sunny day. All the painful tidbits of their separation, all the heart clenching aftermaths, all the sleepless nights. It rushed back like tidal wave and slowly eats out his sanity. He wanted to cry, not because of an awful feeling but because of a more questionable one. Seeing Mark’s helpless image brings enough doubt. After 6 years, there he is; standing in front of the person who once killed him. It was a pathetic kind of reaction for he can’t do anything. He can’t be sturdy enough to face this cursed situation.

 

“Nyoung,” Mark called as Jinyoung dragged Jaebum nearer to the car. No. Stop calling me that. Stop. Jinyoung whispered at the back of his mind. His soft voice shuts the remaining bulbs in Jinyoung’s merely working brain. He glanced at Mark blankly. “Can we talk for a second?” Mark added.

The younger ignored his plea. “No reason for us to talk, Mark.” He said, looking straight forward. Honestly, Jinyoung was out of words and as per the moment, that phrase is the only relevant statement that his brain could process. Before he could turn around once more, Mark made his move. “Jinyoung, wait!” he spoke, softly still.

“Mark, I have to go.” he firmly replied.

Mark held his wrist and stopped him from moving further. It’s been ages since the last time that his palms got in contact with Jinyoung’s immaculate flesh. His hands seem to feel unusual. So this is how to feels to have Jinyoung underneath his touch again. It was gratifying; even his palms felt like burning.
“Just for a while. Jinyoung, I’m begging.”

Probably, that’s where Jinyoung lost it. Mark said he’s begging. Begging. He recalled every single moment of their past split-up. How he begged for Mark’s love. How he asked Mark to have a change of heart and start all over again. It felt the same now; the only difference is that the tables got turned really bad. He smirked at Mark, trying to show a more empowered image.  “Why can’t just say it now? I’ll give you a minute.” He offered.

Jaebum was standing behind Jinyoung. He was not interfering with his friend’s actions for he knew that behind every word lies a profound reason. Maybe watching him from a short distance is enough to make his friend feel that whatever happens, he will be ready to help. But all of a sudden, Jaebum noticed that Mark was staring at him with a confused and somehow annoyed expression. It made him feel small. Luckily, Mark shifted his sight and glanced back to the younger. “No. We need to talk personally.” Mark spoke, willed.

“About what?” Jinyoung said firmly.

Mark took a deep inhale. He can’t go wrong this time. “Us.”

 

Jinyoung was startled. His fingers trembled and they began to curl.  His heart clenched right away alongside with the uneven heartbeat. Too much questions, emotions and memories merged up and begun to cloud his mind. If he could just take all those things away and act like it’s not bothering him gradually. If he only had the nerve to kick Mark’s to where he should be- in a place that’s extremely far from him so there won’t be any chance for them to talk again. “About ‘us’? Cut it off, Mark. I don’t have time for you and your bull.”

By now, Jinyoung was expecting Mark to lay his armors down. Maybe Mark’s at the edge of giving up at the moment and one more small push will completely change his mind. Jaebum was still silent as he observed the heated discussion.  Deep inside, he knew that Jinyoung is struggling to find the right words to spit. It was pretty clear that until now, a part of Jinyoung’s heart still has a memory of Mark Tuan; either a bad or a good one, maybe both.  Mark remained silent, but the sadness was visible in his eyes. “Just go, okay?” Jinyoung added. “Let’s go, Jaebum-ah.” He clutched on Jaebum’s wrist with his trembling and lightly perspiring hands. He tightly held on the car knob as he coldly turned his back on Mark. But just before he could open the door, a strong tug halted him from any further actions.

This time, Mark pulled Jinyoung and forcefully flipped him around. “We have to talk, Jinyoung. Please give me a chance. I will not harm you or anything. Trust me!” Mark whispered sincerely.

I gave you all my trust once, but you still messed around. Would it still be worth it to trust you on a petty thing this time, you stupid ?

 

Jinyoung exhaled. Mark will not back down, no matter what happens. He’s not the type who surrenders easily if he really wants something to be done. Jinyoung can just agree and talk to him, but he’s scared, ashamed and nervous for reasons he can’t even elaborate and express into words. Probably, the pain and the anger still run freely into his blood. The thing is, he can’t insist his side, for Mark may think that haven’t moved on until now. Jinyoung needs to show a braver image. He needs to show that Mark’s existence is no longer relevant in his life. With a sigh, Jinyoung looked right at Mark’s eyes, braving to understand the language that their gazes emit.  “Jaebum-ah, Wait for me, okay? I’ll be back in a bit.” He said without looking back. He can see the small radiance in Mark’s eyes after hearing those words. Yet he could still say that Jaebum’s presence slowly stabs Mark’s now recovering heart.

Which gave him a very brilliant idea.

 

“I will. Call me if something happens.”Jaebum said, ruffling Jinyoung’s bouncy hair. Mark observed with a blank expression. He can’t deny, he’s jealous. He can remember Jaebum, he’s Jinyoung’s friend since God knows how long. They’ve been together for years. Although Mark knew that their friendship is unbreakable, it’s inevitable to think that maybe, these two developed special feelings for each other.

Jinyoung shot a sharp look at Mark. “Fine, 20 minutes.”

 

Mark smiled, relieved. But will their conversation turn out the way Mark wanted it? Will it be synchronized with his plans?  Will Jinyoung be cooperative enough to make their broken bond work for the second time around?

 

 

 

 

 

a/n: CLIFFHANGER LOL. IM SO SORRY I HAVE TO END IT HERE. THEIR CONFRONTATION WILL BE ON THE NEXT CHAPTER. ;) HAHAHHA BTW GUYS THANK YOU FOR ALL THE LOVE THAT THIS FIC RECEIVED SO FAR!! IM SO HAPPY AND THANKFUL TTTTT THANK YOU FOR WAITING PATIENTLY AND I PROMISE TO UPDATE THIS ONE MORE OFTEN! TILL NEXT TIME! STAY SAFE! LOVE Y'ALL!! ☺♥