8. Hammer

100 Word Prompts

 

Title/Prompt: Hammer

Author: Rosetta Stone

Pairing: None really

Rating: G

Summary: Jungsu is about to become leader of Super Junior and his sister has decided to bestow him with a gift…

***

When Jungsu was about to become the leader of the new rotational band Super Junior 05 he and his family went out to dinner one night. As they were eating his parents revealed they bought him some gifts as congratulations for finally accomplishing his dream to be a professional singer. He couldn't remember exactly what his parents gave him, just that it was a sentimental gift. He also received a gag gift from his older sister. The gift was a steel hammer with a white handle. He was confused with the gift and stared at his sister with a bewildered look as she cackled happily at him.

"Because you are going to be a leader soon I thought you would need a hammer. To, you know, fix all the problems that were going to come up." She had explained to him when she was finally able to catch her breath.

"Noona, how is a hammer supposed to help in that?" He asked her in a whiny voice. Although down the road when he retold the story he would deny any whining.

"It’s a metaphor my dear dongseang." She explained with a roll of his eyes. "Because you are in charge of these boys and will be fixing all their problems as they come up. So a hammer is a good tool to use to remind you of that. And besides, it is a functional tool. You can probably use it for its actual purpose as well as it being a metaphor."

"Noona! Why are you so weird?" Jungsu complained.

"Because it's my job as your Noona." his sister teased as she ruffled up his hair. She stood up from the table. "If I don’t give you grief now than what will you do when I leave?"

With that she walked away. Her parents watched her go before turning to their son with a sincere look on their faces. His mom reached over and covered his hand with hers.

"Jungsu-ah, don’t be upset at your Noona. She misses you terribly since going to Australia to study. I think her teasing is her way of showing she cares. And you have been so busy with your training that this is her only opportunity to be your Noona."

"Arraso."

"That’s a good boy. Besides after this you will be a leader of a SME band. That's so exciting." Jungsu's mom gushed.

"I hope I do a good job. There are a lot of members in this band. I hope we do well. I don’t want to be a part of the first group rotated out."

"All you need to do is work hard and be successful and Soo-Man will want to keep you all together." His father said with an air of confidence. "With companies like that, if the bottom line is big with money they tend to keep the project going."

"Don’t worry dongseang!" His sister said as she came back to the table. "You are a natural leader, the boys will be perfect angels to you. And then you can go on all those variety shows and gush about how awesome your Noona is."

"You wish." Jungsu replied with a smirk.

"Yah!"

***

Leeteuk chuckled to himself as the memory of that lunch came to mind. He was in his room cleaning up for his departure to the military when his hands came across the familiar hammer. The handle was worn down and stained and the head was chipped from the time he got angry at the table he was trying to fix and threw the tool at the wall. The dent in the wall was larger than the chip on the hammer. The members were all in stiches at this and helped the leader moved a shelving unit over to cover the unseemly hole. Hopefully when they moved from these dorms the managers don’t notice it.

Creasing the tool he smiled at all the memories he had with it. His Noona was right about it being a metaphor to him. As the leader of Super Junior he was responsible of fixing a lot of problems his band put themselves in. Some he couldn’t handle alone but even at his most frustrated moments all he had to do was look at the hammer and remember it was his job to fix everything.

The only time he felt like he failed was helping Hankyung with all of his struggles. But the Chinese Man always called and reassured him that his departure never had anything to do with Leeteuk or the band. Just management. But the Leader tried twice as hard to make sure he didn’t lose anyone else in that way again. Sighing he fiddled with the hammer absentmindedly.

"Hyung?" Eunhyuk's voice called from the doorway. "Are you almost done? Dinner is ready."

"Yeah, I'll be out in a second." Leeteuk called back before changing his mind. "Eunhyuk-ah, come here for a moment."

The lead dancer came further into the room and took a seat next to the leader on the bed. He stared in curiosity at the hammer the leader held in his hands. They sat like that for a few moments before Leeteuk handed the hammer to the other.

"Hyung?" Eunhyuk asked in confusion. He took the hammer gently from the leader. Something told him it was something important to the man.

"As you know you will be taking over some of my responsibly while I am away. And some of the responsibilities as the temporary leader is to fix any problems that arise. So I am giving you my hammer."

"Thank you?"

Leeteuk chuckled at the obvious bewilderment the younger had.

"When the band was about to debut my Noona gave me that hammer. As a metaphor about being a leader and fixing things. I thought she was crazy."

"You always say your Noona is crazy."

"Truth enough. But She was right in a sense. I was responsible for fixing a lot of things and whenever things got really stressful the hammer was a good reminder of why I was chosen as the leader. So I want you to have it so when things can too difficult you can know that I am here to help you."

"So can I throw it at Donghae when he starts getting too annoying?" Eunhyuk jokingly asked.

"You love the fish so don’t lie."

"True enough. What about Kyunhyun?"

"Do you want Sungmin to kill you for hurting his favorite dongseang?"

"No?"

"Then make sure you do it in a way that can't be traced back to you." Leeteuk advised with a smirk.

Eunhyuk burst out laughing at this and held the hammer tightly to his body. He smiled sincerely at the leader.

"Don’t worry hyung, I will take good care of the hammer."

"I know you will."

"We will miss you hyung." Eunhyuk whispered softly.

"Hyung will miss all of you too. But this is good for me too. I think I lost sight of Jungsu with all the stuff happening with Super Junior. The next two years will be a good chance to learn about him again."

"And we will be here waiting for you when you return."

"That’s my favorite dongseang. Oh and Hyukjae."

"Yes hyung?"

"When you get really angry don’t throw the hammer at anything. It will break it."

"Yes hyung."