Part 2

Something

Soohyun paced the floor while a nervous Kyungsoo looked on. "How..." she stopped and glared right at him.

"I tried to tell you..." he shrugged, laughing a little.

"It still doesn't explain everything. What has this got to do with our relationship and giving you another chance?" Soohyun was getting more and more confused.

"What's there not to understand? Isn't it clear enough?" Kyungsoo's gaze caught her attention and she found herself getting lost in his eyes.

Soohyun sighed. It didn't make sense but somehow it felt like it did because she just wanted to believe Kyungsoo. A part of her wanted to give him another chance no matter how ridiculous it sounded.

"Well, you don't really have a choice now. We've got to work together and that means spending more time together," a grin crept over his face.

She shrugged. "Work is work and I don't bring my personal life into work." She shut her eyes to block out her thoughts, "My stand is still the same, Kyungsoo. We, you and I, are a thing of the past. It didn't work out 6 years ago and it won't work out now. Please, just respect that."

Kyungsoo did just that. He made sure everything that happened between them was work related. Soohyun found it a little strange that he wasn't making any moves on her but at the same time she was grateful. She didn't want to have to deal with anything other than work. There were just so many projects that needed to be completed.

"That was a great presentation!" Soohyun's company director exclaimed and the whole meeting room followed with a loud applause.

The entire team went out for dinner to celebrate the success of their projects. Soohyun didn't usually like attending such events especially since everyone would be drinking but since her director was attending, she didn't feel like she could be absent. She also didn't like it that Kyungsoo and some of his team members would be joining them too.

It was a Korean barbecue restaurant and there was a long table prepared for them. As Soohyun arrived earlier than her superiors, she made sure to sit on the inside so it wouldn't be possible to be seated next to the director or Kyungsoo. Finally she was seated next to a fairly new intern and another colleague, whom she didn't know very well. She felt like it was a perfect arrangement. She didn't need to talk to anyone and just focus on eating.

"Hi, I've not seen you around," the colleague on her right introduced himself, "I'm Tao from the finance department. Are you an intern?"

"Hi I'm Soohyun," she stretched out her hand confidently, "Project manager working with Mr Do." People always mistook Soohyun to be younger.

"Oh..." He smiled widely. "Well nice to meet you!"

Tao loved to talk. He went on and on about this and that. Soohyun was thankful because she could continue eating. She just let Tao talk and occasionally interject with a "oh, really" or a "oh I see".

Once Soohyun was done eating, she quickly got her things and excused herself. She had no other business staying at the dinner.

"Aren't you staying for the drinks?," Tao looked slightly disappointed. "The best part is always the drinks! Especially since at company dinners it's always free!"

Soohyun shook her head and stood up to leave quickly. She wasn't in a rush but she wanted to leave before any of her superiors saw her and made her stay. It is common in the Korean culture to obey everything your superiors say, even if it wasn't something you enjoy. To her surprise, Tao followed her out. She thought he was going out for a smoke but he ended up walking beside her.

"Do you need help with something?," she asked as politely as she could. She usually wouldn't be so polite but she didn't really know Tao well enough to just snap at him.

He smiled, "I just wanted to make sure you get home safe."

Soohyun was slightly taken aback, "Oh, no... I don't need you to see me home. It's still early so please head back to the dinner. You don't have to worry about me."

He face fell, "Is your boyfriend coming to get you?"

"No, I don't have one," she increased her pace as they approached her bus stop.

Upon hearing that, Tao's face lit up again. "That's great news! I'll see you at work on Monday!"

As Soohyun boarded her bus, she thought about her conversation with Tao. Initially, he seemed like a nice guy but she started having doubts about him. He gave off this weird feeling that she couldn't quite comprehend. She made a mental note to be wary of him.

Just outside the restaurant, Kyungsoo watched silently as he saw Tao leaving with Soohyun. He wondered what they were talking about. "Does she know him? Why does it seem like they're close? She couldn't possibly have kept a boyfriend a secret from him?" Kyungsoo thought to himself. He shook his head and returned to the dinner confused and frustrated.


Posted 27th July 2015

Read first on Wattpad - chobaekho