Part 1

Something

"Manager, there's someone outside who wants to see you."   

Soohyun looked up from her folders and frowned. "No appointment?"

   Her assistant shook her head nervously. She knew how much her boss didn't like people who came without making appointments and definitely didn't want to get a scolding because of the stranger sitting outside.   

Soohyun just sighed, much to her assistant's relief. "You know what to do." As much as she disliked people wanting to she her without making an appointment, she didn't want to let it affect her mood and her work. They usually wouldn't barge into her office if she refused to see them.

She continued working on her papers hoping that she wouldn't miss out anything before submitting it to the director. Her director wasn't someone easy to deal with. He was a perfectionist, in other words, totally . She didn't want to disappoint him especially since it wasn't easy getting to where she was today.   

When she thought the rest of the afternoon would be peaceful, another knock came on the door and her assistant entered once again. "He wouldn't leave. He said he will wait till your shift is over or until you want to see him."

Soohyun sighed, louder this time. She knew who was waiting outside her door and there was no way she could not meet him. Getting it over and done with would be the best solution. "Send him in please."   

As soon as he walked into her office, his all too familiar scent filled the room. "What do you want?" She asked, eyes not leaving her papers.

"Let's talk."   

"There's nothing to talk about, Kyungsoo." Her voice was firm while she continued to do her work.

"Let's talk about us." He was firm too, she could feel his gaze on her every move.   

She dropped her pen on the table. "What is there to talk about? It ended 6 years ago!" By now, she was furious and could no longer control the anger she was trying to hide. Who was he to come into her office and order her around?

He sighed. "You know I can't do without you and you can't do without me. So let's just give this another chance?"   

She couldn't believe her ears. After what he had done, he still had the guts to look for her. Without looking up from her papers, she flatly uttered, "Get out."

He pressed on, "Soohyun... Listen to me, what happened back then... It was a mistake. An honest mistake."    

By now she was boiling inside. She slammed her pen on the table and stood up, glaring angrily at the man that stood in front of her. "An honest mistake?! Do you even remember what happened?! For you to come into her and making these ridiculous claims, I assume you must have forgotten! You. Do. Kyungsoo. Left me. And you have the nerve to return now?!" She took a deep breath before continuing, "I don't have to listen to you. I don't have to do anything you say because it was over the moment you stepped out of that building on our wedding day. So. Leave. I don't want anything to do with you anymore."

"Soohyun, I did not do it deliberately. You've got to trust me. I had important things to see to." His voice sounded almost desperate.   

She scoffed, "Important things? On our wedding day?" She sat down and resumed her work, "If you aren't going to leave, I'll have security come see you out."

"Soohyun... Please... Just think about it. You'll figure it out," and with that he left.   

Days went by and Soohyun tried her best to forget about what Kyungsoo had said. She wanted to know what he meant by his last statement. What did she need to figure out? What could have been so important? She shook her head, reprimanding herself for once again entertaining such ridiculous thoughts. Whatever happened between them happened 6 years ago. Why should she think about it now?

Soohyun stopped thinking about Kyungsoo. She knew he is just trying to shake her up. She was now successful and nothing was going to stand in her way. In a few hours, she would be meeting the most important client of her career and she needed to clinch this deal. It could mean a promotion and even a chance of working overseas.   

"Manager, the director would like to see you in his office," Soohyun's assistant informed her politely. Soohyun nodded and proceeded to collect the necessary documents from her desk.

"Good afternoon director, here are the documents I've prepared for the meeting later. If you would like to take a look..." The director raised his hand stopping Soohyun before she could finish.   

"We appreciate your efforts but there's no need for that. Just last week, our company has confirmed a partnership with another company that is willing to work with us regardless of the conditions. Their only request is to have you manage all relations with them. Count this as a promotion, Soohyun. For another company to take such interest in one of our employees, I must say, it's a great honour." He smiled widely at Soohyun and stood up to shake her hand.

Soohyun was confused. She only managed to utter an awkward, "Thank you, sir."   

"Our new partners have arrived and are waiting in the conference room downstairs. Let's head down and I'll brief you on your tasks during the meeting." The director walked out confidently and Soohyun followed behind cautiously.

Soohyun smiled widely as she entered the conference room. Her director spoke, "This is our new partner Do Kyungsoo. He recently took over the company and has been doing a marvelous job!"   

A familiar looking person stood up and extended his hand out, "Nice to finally meet you."


Posted 25th July 2015