Chapter 34

A New Beginning

Arian POV

Finally back home, I sit down onto my couch and even though I enjoyed spending time with Donghae I am glad to be in my house. I also have a lot to do, so back to work.

“Ari!” I hear Rian calling out for me and she laughs as she sees me laying down onto the couch all relaxed. “so no care in the world huh” I nod and she joins me “I wanted to come bye and ask if you wanted to come tomorrow to my dress fitting” I sit up straight and nod “Of course I do! I love too”

“Ooh I am so glad that you want to” we put on the tv and just enjoy the rest of the evening.

“What did you do all day?”

“I spend the day with Donghae” I can already feel her judgment and she just slightly nods “What did you two do”

“We just spend the day relaxing, looking at the sky. Just being together I guess” she nods and positions herself to look straight at me “I just don’t get it. I mean, why Donghae?”

“what do you mean?”

“Well no offense, but Chung and you get along so great and when I met that group he wasn’t the only one that was looking like he cared for you”

“What is that supposed to mean? They are my friends of course they care for me”

“Not that kind of” she stands up and tells me that she is going to pick up me up at 9.

 

“Care for me” I can’t shake her words off, what is she trying to imply. I try to close my eyes but I can’t. The same way Donghae cares for me, but the rest are just my friends. Unless. No we were done so long ago. I.. I shake the thought of me and turn to my side.

 

“Well no beauty sleep for you I guess” Rian comments makes me laugh “I know, I couldn’t sleep.” Driving off the her boutique she seems extremely nervous “I am sure you will still fit into your dress, don’t worry” she nods and the driver pulls over. “We are here ladies”

“Thank you so much” we step out and quickly head into the store.

 

“Wow, you look beautiful” Rian looks absolutely stunning in her dress “You think so” I nod and she is smiling broadly. “Ari would you mind trying on a this dress” I am not sure why she is asking me “Just put it on” I go to change and it is a lovely color dress. A soft glow of pink. I walk out and Rian is already taking photo’s “you look amazing.” She stands up and we are both looking in the mirror

“do you remember when we were a little younger we used to imagine our weddings, what our bridesmaids would wear.”

“Ooh yeah, yours is almost exactly what you always wanted”

“thanks to you.” She seems nervous and scratches “I can’t imagine anyone else being my maid of honour, so if you wou”

“Yes. Yes yes yes, of course I will be your maid of honour” she pulls me into a hug and seems so relieved “I was so nervous to ask you and ever since I.. Let’s not fight anymore”

“I cannot agree more”

 

 

“Ladies you are both looking more radiant than ever” Chung jokes around with us “Us, well of course” I give him a cheeky smile “Every room is reserved for the wedding guests, tables set, the time for the rehearsal is also set. So everything seems ready to go for next week.”

We go to look at the hall one more time and I can see that it is finally sinking in with Rian

“I can’t believe it.” She sighs “in less 5 days I will be married.”

“Are you okay?” she nods slightly “I just can’t believe it, hardly 23 and already married” she looks around and looks at both of us “You two better hurry along, or you might end up as me”

 

Hyukjae POV

 

I hear my phone going off and I quickly pick up “Hyukjae-ah”

“Arian?” I can’t help but sound surprised “Are you at training right now?”

“yeah working on some choreography”

“all right you haven’t eaten yet, have you?” I agree “good, I am on my way” she hangs up and I am not sure what happened.

“Tadaaa” she opens the door with a broad smile and holds up to bags of food “so much?” she nods “I thought you might be hungry”

We sit down and I can’t help but dig in and within seconds it is almost all gone “God I was so hungry” I can’t help but blush with her adorable smile “We haven’t spent any time together recently and I couldn’t forget the time you brought me lunch”

“I am glad to see you again, it has indeed been a long time”

“Yes and it won’t be easy to find time soon I am afraid” I agree “My enlistment date is coming up, you are way too busy” She chuckles “I know, but what can we do about it” I nod and look at her “unless”

 

“The food has arrived!” I hold up the food and Arian is already cheering. We sit down to eat and I turn on the tv, she starts to comment on the show and I can’t help but feel happy. The past 3 days we have been eating together to spend time and it is amazing. Really amazing to spend time with her, I just can’t help but smile and stare at her

 

“Umm” she turns to face me and I quickly look away, but it seems like she didn’t notice that I was starring at her “I won’t be able to come to lunch or dinner tomorrow, since the wedding of Rian”

“How has the planning been going for that?”

“Good, she is going to have the wedding of a life time” She jokes around and she chuckles “I am happy that her dream wedding is coming, through, but what was to expect when you organized it” She throws her hair over her shoulder and nods “Of course” She stands up and I haven’t even realise that the time is already gone. “I have to go, almost late” She gives me a hug and she quickly leaves.

 

I hear my phone going, but when I look at my phone it isn’t going off. “What?” I follow the sound and I see Ari’s phone laying here. I am not sure whether I should pick up, but it already ended. Damn, she is going to need her phone.

 

“Hello I am looking for Arian” I rushed out of the car to quickly head inside the hotel to look for Arian “Ehm miss McClain is in her office” I nod and quickly head up, her door is open and I quickly head in and luckily she is here.

“Hyukjae?” she seems surprised and I hold her phone up. I see that her friend is here as well and she is just completely ignoring me. I quickly hand her her phone “Omg thank you” she gives me a hug “No problem, I have to go, but see you soon” I give her a wink and quickly head back to the elevator.

 

When the door is about the close her friend walks in. “Hyukjae right?”

 

Arian POV

“Rian!” I have finally replied to all my messages and I am so thankful to Hyukjae for bringing my phone. “Yes” I take her hand and I look around to find Chung. I spot him and I drag Rian to him. He notices us and gives me a little smile

“Guys what are we doing” Rian is looking confused and I look to Chung, who should explain it. He nods and seems like he is “Well, Ari came with the idea of throwing you a kind of bachelorette party”

“Aren’t we supposed to have the rehearsal right now?” I nod “But knowing you, we will want to leave soon after, so after the rehearsal we are going to the spa! Chung is taking us to a traditional one or” I look at him and he kind of nods “So we are going there to relax, to calm the nerves” I can see that she is really touched by our plan “So smile, we are going into the venue and get out of there as soon as we can”

“Allright, you guys ready, to be warned” she looks at the both of us “My parents invited both of yours. Like all business people, so be ready to be questioned and” She rolls her eyes to us and I nod “Will all be done soon”

We walk into the venue and we quickly start with the rehearsal. After we are done I join Chung and the girls around him leave at the same time “well well” I raise my eyebrow at him and he looks done “Don’t, you saved me” I chuckle, and I look at Rian, still talking to Jack. “What is he like” We are both looking at there interactions and it seems like they get along well “I mean, when I met him yesterday after he arrived he seemed like a nice guy.” Chung agrees with that “He is very polite, like many others, it does seem like they get along well and care for one another”

“I think so too, in a certain way”

 

“I don’t know if it is the alcohol talking” rian wraps her arms around me and I try to contain my laughter “But I love you guys… In the past days, weeeeks we have become so close. I truly feel like you are becoming a good friend of mine Chung. And perhaps even a brother in law” she pulls him in our hug as well and asks someone to take a picture of us “SMiilleee”

 

“Are you going to be okay?” Chung is the only one that is still sober of all of us and I nod “Ofcourse” Rian is holding on to me and we struggle to get to my door “I..I can’t open it” I drop my keys and Chung helps us out.

“Here is some water” He walks to us with two glasses and we are both already past out on the couch. “Ooh thank you” Rian chucks down one and is now sipping on the other one. “Allright come Rian you should go and sleep” Chung helps me get her upstairs.

 

“thank you for today” I am seeing him out and he is still looking worried “don’t worry, we will be fine”

“Okay and it was my pleasure to take both of you out” He smiles at me and I feel my cheeks blushing and I nod “I had a great time”

 

“It is time” I wake Rian up and she looks so tired I hand her a glass of water “Also something against the headache”

“allright, come breakfast is ready” I hold up a nice silk robe and turn it around so that she can see bride “Omg you had this made” I nod and she immediately puts it on. We walk downstairs and when we are down her bridesmaids jump up from where they are hiding and I can see that she is loving this surprise as well.

“Omg Ari you are perfect” she hugs me and we quickly go to eat and then it is time to change.

 

“Are you ready?” all the bridesmaids have already stepped out of the car and I can see that she is nervous. She nods and I step out to help her after.

The other bridesmaids are already walking out, but I can see that Rian is starting to freak out.

“Rian”I take her hands in mine and I can see that she is not sure “I am afraid” I softly squeeze  her hand “If you want I will get the car walk in and”

“You know we can’t do that” I know that she is right, but why wouldn’t we “I just, “

“I can see that he cares for you, it has already started with him, you just need to win him over and your life will be good”

“Thank you” she hugs me and she seems more relaxed now. I take a deep sight as well and walk out. As I reach the alter and take my place I can see Chung, softly smiling at me and this weird feeling creeps up. I quickly turn my head to face the alter again, but my heart is still beating.

 

We pose for some photo’s and I am so glad that Rian seems to enjoy everything now ”Can we have one together” Rian asks the other bridesmaids to leave and pulls me closer “Well Ari I am so happy that you are my maid of honour” she hugs me and Jack is now asking us if he can join in and I nod “Of course” After taking some more photo’s with family it is finally done.

 

“Hii” Chung gives me a hug and two kisses on my cheek “You look stunning” I twirl and he laughs by my action “My dad was already asking when are you two going to get married, when are you going to propose” I chuckle by his expression and he offers me his arm “Let’s quickly show our face and then leave” I nod and take his arm “Yes please that sounds amazing”

We walk in and I see that everyone is starring at us as well, we see that our parents are together…Great it will be fun.

“Dad” I give my dad first a hug and then greet his parents, greeting me warmly as well. “You look lovely Arian” I thank his mother and we continue to have some chitchat.

“Would you like something to drink?” Chung leans in to me and I nod “Get me whatever” He asks our parents as well and heads off.

 

“Should we greet some more of the guests?” We have been chatting with some other guests and I nod “We still have some more to go, but we also don’t have to greet everyone right.” He chuckles “I know, it is not our party” I nod

“We should tell our parents that we are leaving” I am not to excited to go to them, seeing how busy they are talking to others as well “Just quick” We quickly head over and say our goodbyes and head of too my office.

 

“Ooh” I almost trip and Chung luckily catches me “Look out” I take his arm and we I lean against the wall of the elevator “Oee I don’t remember drinking that much” he chuckles “I think you might also just be tired, combination of both” I nod “Yeah won’t be getting some rest anytime soon though” he chuckles and I grab his hand and pull him towards my office, looking around I find it “Loook” I hold up some bottle of wine and pour him a glass before he can refuse. I pour myself one as well and we cheers. As I am already done with mine he has just set his down and he quickly takes the bottle and my glass away from me.

“Why are you such a bore” I sit down onto my desk and he chuckles “Should I drive you home” He walks closer to help me off but instead I pull him closer “you are too sweet” My hand softly goes moves from his arm to his neck and I can see that he is confused and his gaze goes to my lips back to my eyes.

“Arian you had to much to drink. Lets go” he helps me down and his hand leaves a warm in print on my back. As we step in the elevator the air between us has changed, I can feel the tension between us. Stealing glances here and there.

As his hand softly brushes against mine, I hold my breath. And I can feel that he is nervous as well. A small electricity goes through my hand as we softly brush against one another again. Almost at the end of the elevator ride he carefully and slowly grabs my hand and I can feel my heart beating faster and faster. As I don’t object to him taking my hand he slowly intertwines our fingers as the door open.

I carefully steal a glance and I can see that he is red and nervous. He steps out first and leads the way. My heart is still in shock and as he looks to me it is as if he is giving it life again.

Ooh no.. what is going on...

This isn’t what I had planned.

 

 

“Arian” chung carefully calls out my name and I put down my paperwork and he seems really nervous to talk to me “Do you want to sit down?”

“I.. Ehm my parents are ehm.” I can see that his hands are shaking but it is a different kind than the nervousness shake he sometimes has. “I think I should tell my parents we are not together, or well anymore then.”

“why is that?” I know his parents where pressuring him to propose, but still “They really want or need me to get married as  soon as possible.”  He stops and I can see that he isn’t happy about his situation “I don’t want to put you in this situation. I am just here to let you know.” He stands up but almost loses his balance, I quickly head over to him and I can see that he has gone completely pale. “Are you alright?”

“I.. I am fine” I hand him a glass of water “Are you going to the doctor appointments? Your mom contacted me a while back saying you weren’t going”

“I am” I can see that he is lying and he gets up “Arian I am not your problem. Go live your life, be happy” I can’t help but cuckle by his comment “What are you going to do then? Marry any girl your parents want” I say it jokingly but his silence is confirming that he is. He gets up and ignores my attempt to make him stay.

 

I know it is not my responsibility but still… I take another sip from my glass and I can’t help but feel crazy. I am going insane, talking to myself.. “Arian?” aaah I see John and I hop towards him “Well hello” he gives me a small nod to the side and Hyukjae is standing there “Ooh I forgot..”

“I already thought so” I thank john and walk to the kitchen “Let me just drink some water and then we will go! Are the other guys already there?” He nods “I came to pick you up but you should sleep” I shake my head and pour myself another glass of wine “You know that I am messing everything up. I just don’t know what I want”

“What you want? What are you on about?” He tries to grab my glas and gets me some water but I sit on the counter and drink from the bottle then. “Arian..” I give him a wink “can’t part me from my wine”

“so talk to me. What are you shutting out that you are drinking” I chuckle “I am predictable.” I take another chuck of wine “Chung likes me and I.. I am afraid I am starting to like him too. Cause he is not my problem. And yet when he told me he was calling it off and telling his parents I didn’t want him too.” I take another shot and Hyukjae is looking a bit confused “I just don’t know what I want.. Even with you.” I jump off and go to find some stronger alchohol “What? What do I have to do with Chung and you?”

“Found it!” I hold up some vodka and chuck some down. “Ughh bahbabh” I look at him and my word vomit is coming “You are the start of everything. I liked you and donghae came. And I still couldn’t shake you off and I.. Didn’t know what I want.” I point to him and chuckle “you did too. So thanks for making that easier”

“Arian..” I cut him off and walk closer to him “you know we never talked about this. I really don’t talk about things…” I take another shot and I really don’t feel the alchohol hitting me yet.

“Allright we are doing this” I look at him and blur it out “You kinda broke my heart. Really. I wanted you and you chose for me. Which I really appreciated at the time. But looking at it now. I.. I don’t” I walk closer to him and I can see that he is taken back and looks down “I felt I was doing something good for you”

“By putting yourself aside? By choosing for me!? That isn’t fair My choice to make”

“But you liked him it was so obvious and that broke my hear too and I just wanted to see you happy so yeah. I made that choice for you.”

“ I wanted you” I let him finally out and as we are talking back and fort in this heated moment we came so close face to face and the only thing I want to do is just kiss him and I do.

I lean in and find his lips without trying starting soft before I know it, it has heated up so much. As we pull apart we seem to realize what we did.

“..!” Hyukjae steps back and seems so disappointed with himself. “I am sorry..”

“You are sorry?” His words cut me deeper then I thought and I grab my bottle again “You did nothing wrong. I did” He grabs my hand and I can see that he cares for me in his eyes “I regret kissing you like this. You are ‘drunk’, I should know better”

“I’m sorry” I apologize one last time to him and quickly walk to my room. Closing my door behind me.

“!” I throw my bottle.  What am I doing?... .

 

 

 

“Ari” her voice is so loud and she giggle a little “only another drink can cure an hangover” Rian sits down next to me and also has a drink in her hand “I had something in the mail. An invitation to a party of Chung, well his family.” She looks at me suspicious an I tell her I got one too “There have been rumors that he is announcing his engagement and  we all know he is ‘dating’ you”

“Well not anymore” I fill up my glass and tell her what he said “He wants me to be happy” I can’t help but sound sarcastic and Rian nods “Well isn’t it good news for you? You get to be with Donghae. Really be with him. Have you already told him?” I shake my head “Why? Isn’t his what you guys where waiting for?”

“I don’t know… Lately..” Rian leans her head onto my shoulder “Perhaps you should think a little, you have a week before his party”

“Rian.. I.. I kissed Hyukjae yesterday.” She almost drops her glass “What”

“We had a thing a long long time ago and it just.. I never expressed how I felt to him and it just came flooding all back”

“Do you like him? As in dump Donghae like?” I look down “I love donghae, but I don’t know anymore. I just feel like I am messing there lives up.”

“not to be mean, but you kind of are.” I nod and lay my head back, what am I going to do?

 

Dad?” My dad lays his paper down and I sit down oppiste of him “I have to let you know something about the party”

 

 

Donghae POV

 

“Ari, do you know what this is supposed to mean?” I shows her an article and she explain it to me “why are you reading so many articles lately?” she seems a bit nervous to ask me and I quickly respond “your dad has been teaching me a little of his business side and it is so cool. Trying to keep up.”

“But why?”

“Well at the party he said he will teach the tricks of the party and he has been since” I continue to read and I can see that she is starting to feel frustrated. “That still doesn’t explain why? You were never interested in it. You make music why are you trying so hard to be something else?”

“I am not trying” She cuts me off and points to my suit “Really!? So you are suddenly into wearing suits every day. You suddenly wants to be a business man like my dad, because that is his requirement from him?”

“What is wrong about it!? I am expanding, learning new things”

“but you don’t like it. You don’t! You are pretending. It is always so obvious to see, you are not happy” She puts on her coat and I quickly take her hand to stop her from leaving “I am doing this for us. This is a little price to pay for our happiness, for us to be together”

“Donghae. Do you hear yourself.” She carefully cups my face “I have liked you for you. I love the silly shy guy I met my first day here. Not the guy you are trying to become for my father approval.” She smiles softly at me and gives me a small kiss before heading out the door.

I give her a call but she forwards my call. I sit down and look at my screen. What happened to us. We were so happy. Smiling all day. I get up and get into my car.

“Ca-“ I walk past Rosa and find Arian sitting down onto the couch “What are you on about” I can see that she is shocked to see me “What are you doing here” She gets up and I am trying to keep my head cool. “My heart beats whenever I see you.” I walk a little bit closer to her and take her hands “I won’t lie, there have been girls here and there” she chuckles and I strike over her cheek “But you are the one that has made me go completely crazy. I am absolutely crazy about you. And I don’t mind if I have to change a little for that” she shakes her head “You aren’t changing a little bit.” I know that she is right, but still. It is a little price to pay.

“This won’t be for a little while you realize that, right?” I shake my head “My dad wants a business man for me to be married too. So he wants you to do this for life. Are you up for that? Giving up something so important to you? I am not asking you too.”

 

“Why are you so gloomy?” Hyukjae sits next to me and I fill him in on the troubles between Ari and I. he looks down and I asks him what he is thinking off. He has been so off, hiding something. “Rian told me once that it is not realistic for any of us to think to be with her.” I raise my eyebrow at him “Whether we like to admit it or not, we are of different classes. Different lifestyles, goals.” He stands up and squeezes my shoulders “Sometimes it just doesn’t work”

 

With Hyukjae’s words still going through my mind I softly close the door behind me “ooh” I see that ari has fallen asleep on the couch and I carefully pick her up. Laying her softly down and covering her with the blanket. “Sometimes it doesn’t work…” I softly whisper as I caress her cheek and her eyes slowly open “Aah Oppa” she gives me small sad smile and tells me to come closer “What?” she shakes her head and kisses me.

 

Finally back in Korea I can’t wait to see Ari. “Ari!?” I walk in, but something feels off. Terrible off. I look around and it seems a little bit more empty. I check the bedroom and she isn’t here. Strange the past week she was here every night. I call her but it says the number is out of service.

I take another look around and her stuff is gone out of the bathroom. I quickly walk towards the closet and my heart drops. Everything of her is gone. I go back into the living room and I try calling her again and again. After the twelfth time I call the guys and they are coming over.

I look around some more and I see the photoframe of the two of us, with a letter underneath it. With her pretty handwriting

To Donghae”

I rip the envelope open and only one thing falls out of it.

 

 

Arian POV

“Heey” Hyukjae is surprised by seeing me and lets me in “Wow you are almost done getting everything out of here” it is weird to see their dorm so empty. “Yeah it is almost time to go.” I can see that he is nervous about going. “Lets get the elephant out of the way. I am sorry and thank you for not saying anything to Donghae.”

“I am sorry too, but” he stops as my phone goes off, I quickly pick up and it is John saying that Donghae is at my place. “Can I stay here Hyukjae?” he seems surprised and he must notice that I am really in need of staying here. “All right. I em, wanna watch a movie?”

“perhaps you should slow down?” Hyukjae tries to take my drink from me but I quickly move my arm back and shake my head “No.” I gulp it down and he seems to get worried now. “Is something else wrong between the two of you? Donghae has been plowing up my phone.” I get up to fill up my glass again and gulp it down.

 

“Okay okay this is enough.” He takes my glass and hands me some water. “What is wrong?”

“I moved out of Donghae’s flat” he processes it and sighs “Where is that leaving us? Is wh-“

“Don’t worry, me kissing you isn’t the reason.”

“What about us then. Where does it leave us?” I can see that he is slightly hopeful and I am not sure what to say. I raise my shoulders and he seems to realize that I am not going to be able to answer his question.

“Ehm..” I get up and  walk towards my bag and get the letter out. “Can you please ehm put this in donghae’s bag?” I can see that he is a little hurt by my action and looks confused. He nods “Hyukjae, I will miss you” Raising his eyebrow I quickly leave.

 

October 15

“Are you all right?” Rian wakes me up from my thoughts and I nod “Yeah ofcourse I am” she takes my paper from me and looks worried at me “You don’t seem fine. Lets go to the spa today”

“I can’t” She has already taken my bag and coat and nods “You can! You are the boss, get your keys we are going!”

“Omg look at your hand sparkle!” rian is joking around and I shake my head. Looking at my hand I can’t help but feel a little sad. “It is huge when did you pick it again?” Rian goes on to tell how she is jealous that he choice it with me in mind even though he didn’t know that I was going to say yes.

I pull over at my place and quickly run inside to get my swimsuit and leave the car running. I see John walking towards me and he stops me “Arian” I nod and try to walk past him and my heart drops. Is that.. Donghae turns around and I can see the sadness in his entire posture. “He wouldn’t leave, I wasn’t sure whether or not to call you again.” I nod to John and tell him it is all right.

“Ari” I slowly walk closer to him and he seems nervous, hurt, confused “What is going on”

“Donghae you should go.” I try to walk past him and he stops me “No. You don’t get to say that I have to go. I deserve an explanation, a  year together, we have a life together. You c-“ I shut him up by kissing him and when he part he takes my hand only to look confused when he looks at my hand and back at me. Taking a step back he looks hurt. “What is that.” He points to my ring, I try to hide my hand behind my back but it is already too late.

“So that is why you left me. For him.” I can see that he is trying to not cry and he looks mad. “For him. They warned me.” He walks away and I just stand still. Nothing I can do anymore.

 

 

I sit down and think back to the day that changed everything.

“Ari what is with all these boxes” Rian can barely make it into my room and I raise up my shoulders

“Do I look nice?” I igrnore her question and Rian nods, but holds up a beautiful crème dress out of my closet “But this one is more elegant” I put it on and she is right. It looks beautiful on me.

“What are you going to do Arian?” I know she is talking about the party and I decide to let my hear down, put on my favourite lipstick. “I am doing what is right and expected”

 

 “Thank you all for coming” I can hear his parents already talking and I see Chung already standing there together with a strange girl hanging around him. I can see that he spotted me too and we slowly walk towards one another.

“What are you doing here?” he looks so surprised and I help to make sure his tie is straight. “You look nice” he complements me. His parents are almost announcing his engagement and he takes my hand. Noticing that it is empty.

“Why?” I raise my shoulder at him and give him a little smile. His eyes are lighting up and he goes down onto his knee still holding my hand. I look around but no one is paying attention to us and he makes me focus back onto him.

“Marry me” I feel my heart beating and I nod. He takes out a ring out of his pocket and slides it onto my ring finger and it is breath taking. “I picked it out with you in mind” he gets up and he can’t stop smiling “We should go.” I raise my eyebrow at him “We have something to announce”

 

“Hello everyone, thank you so much for coming” I look at Chung who is talking up on stage and he looks at me “Arian please join me” I join him and take his hand and he gives me the biggest smile “We are so  happy  to be here together to announce our engagement.” He kisses my hand, and everyone congratulates us. I see his parents glowing off happiness and even my dad, is smiling. Raising his glass to us, looking proud…

 

Everyone comes to congratulate us and my dad gives me a hug “Arian this goes with out saying, I want you to be happy and if you still stand by this choice”I nod and he smiles, giving Chung also a hug “You better take good care of her.” Chung takes my hand and his eyes are sparkeling.

“I will sir.”