2/2

things you know about your best friend

Things Park Chanyeol knows about his best friend: His name is Byun Baekhyun. He has crescent moon eyes that only show when you make him truly smile.  He loves to spend his free time making Chanyeol play those spaceship games he never quite understand but learn to enjoy because the smiles his best friend gives every time he beats his it’s worth. He tends to pout when he’s too focused on his math work.  He loves chocolate ice cream; especially the one Chanyeol always gets for him. His favorite color is blue. When he’s too worried he frowns and does a cute thing with his nose. He hates Deep Space Nine but watched it with Chanyeol a thousand of times anyway. He has the cutest mole above the right side on his upper lip. He played Folie à Duex on repeat for six months until Chanyeol made him turn it off, but he loves him anyways

 

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When Chanyeol is seven (and a half) and Baekhyun is seven (and three quarters), Chanyeol visits Baekhyun at the hospital and under the fluorescent hospital lights Baekhyun is almost transparent but still looks like he’s trying his best to be brave.

“Can I go to where Baek is and show him the new Pokemon cards you brought me?” he asks his mom, almost waiting for a no but to his surprise she says yes.

When Chanyeol pokes his head through the door of Baekhyun’s room, he smiles at him like he hadn’t in a while.

 

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

While Baekhyun is screaming desperately at Chanyeol to get off the tree and to forget about the damn cat (he knows he shouldn’t be cursing), Chanyeol laughs, Baekhyun is all sharp tongue and long but elegant fingers and Chanyeol knows he has a smile that’s only for him. While he’s climbing another branch of the tree he thinks how he’s the one that is always holding Baekhyun back from something greater than Chanyeol’s scraped knees and clumsy self.

 

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When Chanyeol is ten and Baekhyun is almost eleven, Chanyeol caught the flu from spending a cold day trying to build the tree house Baekhyun always wanted, Baekhyun knocked at his door sweaty and out of breath with a box of tissues, a bowl of instant soup and a folder with math worksheets and history notes copied over in his messy fifth grade handwriting, even when Baekhyun knew they weren’t in the same class.

 

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Baekhyun has bony elbows and he’s fragile but strong at the same time. He always says how good and strong Chanyeol is, to everyone and to Chanyeol itself, every now and then. And he blames himself a lot, Baekhyun is the only one who doesn’t know his only fault is being Chanyeol’s weak spot.

 

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When he is was almost twelve and Baekhyun was already sprawled across Chanyeol’s bed, he said, “No one will ever kiss me”.

So Chanyeol grabs his face, and smiles before pressing his lips against Baekhyun’s and felt his hand tangle in the back of his hair, when Chanyeol pulls back, still smiling he just says, “Someone just did”.

 

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The first time Chanyeol gets to spend the night at Baekhyun’s house; they watch movies the whole night and eat so much candy they almost throw up. When they both lay on the same bed, Baekhyun’s is already sleeping when Chanyeol notice how he smells like popcorn and strawberry candy and boy, Chanyeol didn’t know that’s what home smelled like.

 

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

On the twenty seventh of April, Baekhyun sneaks into his bedroom window and Chanyeol bites his lips and hands him his favorite controller while pressing a little closer next to him so Baekhyun knows he’s still there.

 

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol first and always follows Chanyeol, anywhere, through trial and into fire and beyond and he doesn’t know how much that scares Chanyeol, because Baekhyun used to have so much plans and Chanyeol never meant that much to anyone before, not even his father.

 

 

 

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Chanyeol loves him, and he knows Baekhyun loves him back but… sometimes he’s not sure if it’s the right thing.