wish no. 2

Wishes for Her

2014.

 

Tiffany spots her boss seated at her desk, already buried in the pile of work that awaits her. Seeing this, she begins to be nervous and briskly walks over to her own room to start on work for the day. Today is an important day, just as every other day; not a single second is to be wasted.

 

First: the file of her designs for the autumn collection. “Yoona, prepare my autumn collection file,” she instructs her secretary as she gestures to her bag. Yoona nods and begins digging her bag for the designs.

 

This is while she loads the PDF version of next month’s issue for the Blanc & Eclare magazine on her laptop. She reads through every line in a second each, checks the overall format, and finishes her inspection in five minutes. After all, the magazine isn’t as thick as the cheap ones out there: this is Blanc & Eclare, from which the magazines are heavily monitored by the fashion industry all over the world to check out the recent projects. She then has her secretary transfer it into a hard drive to be sent to the publishing company for printing. This is the routine every time the month reaches the mid, and for this month it is already considered late. Tiffany writes a mental memo to remind the editorial team to work faster next month.

 

Then, she retrieves her file of designs from Yoona and looks through her designs. Yoona has been efficient in her work, “There are twenty-four designs done, sangmu-nim (managing director). This means the collection is completed.”

 

Tiffany smiles looking at her designs, silently grateful for rushing out the last few the previous night, for that means she has met her deadline.

 

“Alright, book an appointment for me with the R&D department. I’ll be there after I settle the autumn collection with Jessica,” she directs Yoona to do so while she stands up and walks over to the door.

 

“Ne sangmu-nim,” Yoona nods while opening the door for Tiffany. Tiffany nods as well as an acknowledgement and makes her way to Jessica’s room.



 

2012.

 

Tiffany was walking down the streets after waking out of her house on impulse. Once again, she had gotten into a fight with her father after returning home from work one day. She also had to yell at her maid and her butler to leave her alone before she could finally leave the house to cool herself down off the steam without anyone on her tail.

 

Her anger didn't last long, for as soon as she saw her very favorite outlets she couldn't help but feel a tugging feeling at the edge of her heart, urging her to begin shopping.

 

She started to admire all the items on display. Fall was almost over and winter was just around the corner.

 

Just as she reached the edge of the lane she spotted a new store that she had never seen. She curiously approached it, and was amazed by what she saw. The store was tiny; there was only a small display area with two mannequins that were dressed in beautiful winter outfits, in which the designs were unique that attracted her strongly. Just as she was admiring the eye-capturing pieces before her, she heard the door chime ringing as the door was swung open. A woman about her size steps out, eyeing her as if she was noticed when she was admiring the winter outfits.

 

She looked at the lady with curious eyes, questioning the situation as the lady looks at her clothing once again.

 

“You’ve got a very special fashion sense,” the lady started off, with a mysterious look in her eyes as she spoke. Tiffany was still very lost in the situation, unsure about how she should react.

 

While Tiffany still stood at her position without any movement, the woman went on, “I’m Jessica. Do you have time to come in for a short while?”

 

Tiffany still did not know how to respond to the invitation. Seeing no reaction from Tiffany, the lady named Jessica said, “I promise it won’t take long.” Tiffany saw the hope in Jessica’s eyes, but unaware of what that hope meant. Jessica was already at the door, opening it to welcome her in. Tiffany was at a lost but to enter and accept the invitation.

 

They were seated on a large ottoman in the centre of the boutique. The walls were pastel pink, which appealed to Tiffany very much due to her massive love for the color. Decorations were placed in the right positions, and Tiffany admired the color coordination between the white and the Tiffany blue which she loved due to the similarity in name. Nevertheless, the store looked chic, for the black furniture that very much matched its surroundings. Tiffany could not stop herself from admiring the place as well as the clothings on display in the store.

 

“From your fashion sense and the way you admire my designs, I believe you are one of a fashionista as well,” Jessica began, tearing Tiffany’s vision away from the objects in the store onto the woman herself. “Are you a fashion designer?” she carefully asked next.

 

Tiffany shook her head, “Though I’m honoured to be called one.” Tiffany continued talking, “I work as an editor for This Week Fashion.”

 

Hearing Tiffany’s American slang while introducing the magazine’s name, Jessica gasped, “You’re English-speaking.” Tiffany nods as a response.

 

“Are you interested in becoming one?” Jessica probed further. "I'm in need of more ideas," Jessica added, "more creativity, more staff," she revealed as her eyes trailed away from Tiffany. “Could you please, just do me this favour? I promise you everything in this company,” Jessica turned back to Tiffany as she begged. “5 million won,” Tiffany’s eyes grew huge at the amount, “That’ll be your monthly pay.”

 

The offer made her ponder. She had already been graduated for over a year, yet she had found no job other than being the editor she was for the fashion magazine that wasn't very well known. The pay was not enticing, as compared to what the lady was trying to offer her. She shook her head. Jessica looked desperate enough to be even begging her to take up the job. She wasn't even offering it to her anymore. This time it wasn't Tiffany looking for a job, but a potential employer looking for her.

 

Tiffany paused in her thoughts. Wasn't that something honourable?

 

“Please?” Jessica pleaded, “I’m really at my wit’s end now,” she reasoned. “I don’t even have enough staff to operate this store that I have to be here myself. It’s difficult, to manage a store and wreck your brain for ideas, and fuss over how to pay the rent and salary every month,” Jessica did not hesitate to admit her troubles.

 

Tiffany could see the despair in Jessica’s eyes. She was on the verge to agreeing. The thought of why she was out there again returned to her mind. It was because of her father. Her father had wanted her to drop the job and join him in the business. Her father had said that she could always study and work at the same time, and he would provide wholesale for her business course that she would take if she came to agree. Her father had said that if she were to continue with her fashion nonsense, she would not be going far.

 

No, she was not going to let her father take away this passion from her. She was going to show her father that she would succeed in this passion.

 

She nodded her head. She was going to help Jessica, to help themselves succeed, herself included. She was going to do well even in this field.

 

She nodded once more and lifted her head, showing the face with her signature eye smile.

 

"Thank you so much! Thank you..." there were almost tears in Jessica's eyes.

 

"I'm Tiffany," she replied, still in thought about what she had just agreed to.

 

"Thank you Tiffany!"

 

Tiffany merely nodded, "No problem. I needed this too," she paused and realised she to, had something to thank for. "Thank you."

 


Tiffany isn't exactly Managing Director, but that's the closest. In Korea employees addresses their superiors by their ranks, but like you know in an international company like B&E they ought to give fancy names to their ranks like how Jessica is Creative Director in the real world though she may be President or CEO or whatnot. Haha. If I am wrong, drop me a comment to tell me, but just treat this as it is for it is fiction and let's take it that this company works this way. Hahaha!