The Past

Nobody's Home

Irene entered the waiting room and saw Seulgi sitting in a corner, with her eyes closed. She had hidden herself from the latter after witnessing the conversation with Krystal. She can't help but feel bothered as the conversation replayed in her mind.

She knew all along that something happened between the 2 girls right before Krystal debuted. They were inseparable back then, known to all trainees. Rumors even had it that they were more than friends but no one knew for sure. Irene had joined the agency 2 years later than Seulgi, only in time to see the fallout between the 2 girls.

"Seul~"

Seulgi opened her eyes and Irene was taken aback. Those beautiful eyes were now bloodshot and she could see tears threatening to fall from them. 

"Seul, are you alright?"

Seulgi forced a smile and replied, " Neh, unnie. Just a bit tired at the moment. I'll be better after getting some sleep."

Irene should have backed down and let Seulgi rest, which was typically what she would have done in the past. But this time, she couldn't take it anymore. The love of her life was sad, or rather, had been sad for all the years she had known her for unfathomable reasons. She couldn't shelve her questions and worries any longer. Perhaps it was the apparent sorrow in Seulgi's eyes that triggered her impatience. She decided not to wait for Seulgi to open up to her, like what she had been anticipating for all these years.

"I saw Krystal subae-nim and you earlier. Kinda overheard your conversation."

Seulgi's eyes widened in shock. "Unnie..."

"I knew something's wrong, Seul. Tell me what happened in the past. Why you have been hurting her and yourself all this while." Irene cupped the beautiful face in front of her. Yes, Irene was sure Seulgi loved Krystal though it pained her to acknowledge this. All the lingering stares Seulgi sent to the unaware Krystal had not gone unnoticed by her. She was jealous of how Krystal easily dominated Seulgi's attention and love all these years, and how easily the former can sway the latter's emotions at her fingertips.

"Unnie, I... ..." Seulgi glanced at the other 3 members who were engrossed in their own conversation before turning to Irene. Irene could see her inner conflict and eventual surrender through her eyes, that's how transparent and frank this bear was. To think that she could keep the secret between her and Krystal for so many years. Seulgi gave a defeated smile which didn't quite reach her eyes.

"I'll explain it to you later."