Lullay Moon Princess

Lullaby for a Princess

 

Lullaby For A Princess

 


If she could bring it all back, she would.


Fate has been cruel and order unkind
How can I have sent you away?
The blame was my own; the punishment, yours
The harmony's silent today
 

The moon shone its own light. So radiant, so brilliant, just like its Princess herself, Minseok, the Moon Princess. Her beloved sister that is still asleep in a castle that bathe in moonlight. The castle shone like a diamond under the light. Awe was what the castle brings to prying eyes, just like what her sister would bring to every human that laid their eyes on her. 

 

The Princess that was once loved and now cursed by everyone, all because Kyungsoo was blind to her sister's sufferings.


But into the stillness I'll bring you a song
And I will your company keep
Till your tired eyes and my lullabies
Have carried you softly to sleep

Kyungsoo covers the window, not before glancing at the moon with longing. Walking ever so elegantly, she walks to the stairs that lead her to the top of her castle quietly. It is time for the Moon to sleep and for the Sun to awake. The moonlight accompanied her on her way and in exchange, she sang quietly under her breath, softly as a feather and full of emotions, a Lullaby for her little sister, the Moon Princess that sleep peacefully in her own castle.

 

She remembers the day when she would change the Sun and Moon together with Minseok. Laughters and cheers were the ones that came out of their mouths when they see the sunrise and set, the moon awake and sleep, that they created. How Kyungsoo wouuld give everything and anything to bring the time back to when the choosing begin. 


Once did a princess who shone like the sun
Look out on her kingdom and sigh
She smiled and said, "Surely, there is no Princess
So lovely and so well beloved as I"

"Unnie Unnie," a 13-years-old Minseok cicled Kyungsoo, "do you want the Sun or the Moon?" she asked, ever so cheerfully, widening her eyes in excitement. Kyungsoo ruffled Minseok's hair in affection at how adorable her younger sister was being.

 

"Minnie-a, we didn't choose whatever we like to choose, the Sun and the Moon are the ones that choose us." Kyungsoo smiled but Minseok just shook her head, stopped her circling so that now she stood in front of Kyungsoo.

 

"But if we were able to choose though, what will you choose?" Minseok grabbed both of Kyungsoo's hands and stared at Kyungsoo in wonder. Kyungsoo made a humming sound, letting Minseok know she was thinking.

 

"I will choose the Sun." Kyungsoo giggled, running to the throne room where their Father, the King, and sisters await. Kyungsoo didn't know that Minseok was taken aback by the answer because their answer were the same. 

--

And so, the time of the choosing arrived, the two sisters waited side by side nervously, awaiting the King's arrival in their shared room. After an hour past, their ever-so-loving father arrived with something behing his back. Minseok and Kyugsoo looked at each other in excitement and curiousity when Jiyong showed the both of them two black boxes on his hands.

 

"It's time to choose." Jiyoong said before adding, "the both of you are free to choose but you have to be satisfied on what you get." 

 

"Yes, Appa!" the both of them answered in sync. Jiyong nodded and ordered them to close their eyes Grabbing Kyungsoo by the hand, he led her daughter to the corner of the room so Kyungsoo wouldn't be able to hear anything from Jiyong and Minseok.

 

"Wait a moment okay, Honey?" Jiyong had tenderly whispered and Kyungsoo nodded obediently. Soon after, Jiyong's footstep got fainter and fainter until she couldn't hear anything.

 

Kyungsoo would be lying if she said she didn't hear any murmurs and sounds of fighting coming from her father and sister. When the shouting stop, she could feel her father's hand on her shoulder. 

 

"Congratulations, Kyungsoo. You're the Sun." Jiyong said, but his tone sounded strange. It was like the mixture of both sadness and happiness. Kyungsoo shook it all off when she heard the news. She quickly hugged her Father in Joy, once again oblivious of the sad and disappointed look her father gave to a certain girl that was now smiling at the both of them.

---

They celebrated days and nights for both of the sisters.

 

From Sunrise till Sunset for Kyungsoo and from Sunset till Sunrise for Minseok but in truth they only celebrated for Minseok till it was midnight or a little past midnight with tired body and sleep eyes as an excuse. They celebrated the Sun longer than the Moon because the were very sleepy to carry on celebrating till Sunrise.

 

Not long after, they only celebrated when the Sun comes, not once did they celebrated in Night.

 

They paid Kyungsoo more attention than Minseok making the compliments the people gave Kyungsoo got into her head.

---

"Surely there is no Princess so lovely and so well beloved as I." One day Kyungsoo had said after she looked down from their bedroom at the people working happily under her Sun. There were a lot of flowers and gifts on Kyungsoo's side of the room. The gift were so many and big, that the floor was almost Impossible to see while Minseok's side of the room laid only a flower bouquet. 

 

"Well, you are my sister." Minseok chuckled, paying more attention on the novel she was reading. Minseok pay no heed to whispers in her head that told her rotten truth and persuaded Minseok to push Kyungsoo from the window. She loved her sister, afterall. No matter how irritating Kyungsoo could get.

 

Besides, the both of them are Immortals now, It's hard to kill her sister.

 

Unknown to Minseok, a part of Minseok's mind had been corrupted by the whispers. The whispers from the moon, the dark side of the moon. 

 


So great was her reign and so brilliant her glory
That long was the shadow she cast
Which fell dark upon the young sister she loved
And grew only darker as days and nights passed


Years past and Kyungsoo was more loved. As Kyungsoo got brighter, Minseok grew dimmer. Minseok and Kyungsoo were 18 years old that time and they had separated their bedroom at the tender age of 15. Kyungsoo always got out of the castle more often till it seems like her home was outside of the castle instead of inside it. Minseok on the other hand, stayed on her room, locked away from the outside world and family. The whispers were whispering her lies as Minseok laid on top of her bed, looking lifeless.


Soon did that princess take notice that others
Did not give her sister her due
And neither had she loved her as she deserved
She watched as her sister's unhappiness grew

Kyungsoo knocked on the door to Minseok's room rapidly and impatiently. Kyungsoo had gotten words from her father that her sister did not go out of her room for days. Minseok didn't accept foods even if the maids left it in front of the door, thinking Minseok would accept it.

 

After a few more bangs, Kyungsoo'patience had worn out. Kyungsoo muttered a spell and the door opened violently. Soft whimpering came from the bundle that laid on top of Minseok's bed and Kyungsoo approached it carefully.

 

"Minnie-a, are you okay?" Kyungsoo blurted out as soon as she heard a sob.

 

"Go away." Kyungsoo heard Minseok said. A frown made its way to Kyungsoo's face.

 

"But you're hurt. Well, not physically, but mentally--"

 

"Go." Kyungsoo yelped when she was lifted from the ground, "AWAY." Minseok threw Kyungsoo to the wall, Minseok's eyes full of rage, sadness and lonliness.

 

Kyungsoo widened her eyes at the sudden contact. "I was just trying to help!" Kyungsoo desperately shouted.

 

"I don't need your help!" Minseok hissed making Kyungsoo widened her eyes again, this time with hurt on her voice.

 

"Fine, don't accept my help!" Kyungsoo hissed back. She was sick of her sister's behaviour and so she stomped out Minseok's room, hoping her sister would stop her from leaving.

 

"FINE!" Minseok stretched her arms toward the door, covering the doo with black energy and then slammed the door shut. The whispers going louder and louder making Minseok's head throb and ache and finally, when she have had enough, she gave in. Minseok's tears fall from her eyes, knowing that the voices had won. She screamed on top of her lungs.

 

Outside, Kyungsoo was startled when she heard the ear-pierching yet heart-throbing scream coming from Minseok's room. More specifically, from the delicate lips of the youngest sister but she could do nothing to calm her sister's broken heart, at least, that was what she thought. She retreatted to the throne room, head hung in sadness. 


But such is the way of the limelight, it sweetly
Takes hold of the mind of its host
And that foolish princess did nothing to stop
The destruction of one who had needed her most

A woman with long navy blue dress stood infront of Minseok. The later didn't notice the lady and still curling on her bed as she weeped and weeped.

 

"Come, Princess. The Moon is stronger than this." The woman sat on Minseok's bed and caressed Minseok's head tenderly. Minseok unconsciously leaned to the woman's touch. "Good girl, you must be suffering."

 

"Who are you?" Minseok asked in between sob. 

 

"I'm Xiumin, the moon itself." Xiumin hugged Minseok, engulfing Minseok in darkness. A rush of false memories presented itself in front of Minseok and Minseok did nothing to stop it and instead, believed in the lies that the moon gave. Xiumin smirked when she saw Minseok's red face. "Good girl, good girl. Now let the moon take over." Xiumin purred in Minseok's ear. Xiumin faded away as Minseok's form was covered in black magic.

 

Minseok screamed, pink hair turned to jet black and skin turned pale. The next time she opens her eyes, her brown eyes turned black, she was not Minseok. She is Xiumin.

 

Xiumin threw open the curtain, hair a mess, eyes bloodshot, cheeks full of dried tears. She positioned her right arm to the direction where the moon rises, and her left to the sun that shone up in the sky.

 

"The Night time has begun." Xiumin said with a crazy gleam in her eyes. Xiumin raised her right hand, making the Moon rise and she put her left hand down, forcing the sun to retire.

 

The Sun retired and The Moon rose, in the middle of the day.


Lullay moon princess, goodnight sister mine
And rest now in moonlight's embrace
Bear up my lullaby, winds of the earth
Through cloud, and through sky, and through space

[present times]

Kyunsoo still remembers the fight they had, a fight so powerful, it almost make the Castle into dust. 

 

Kyungsoo too, still remembers the pain that her sister made in her body and soul. The pain still visible to feel whenever she sing the Lullaby she made for her sister.

 

[past]

 

"Is she crazy?" Kyungsoo had said after she, along with her father, sisters, and very much everyone in Equestria, saw thMoon and Sun in the wrong place and time. "Sister, what have you done?" Kyungsoo desperately said when Minseok entered the throne room with navy blue dress and hair down, not in a braid she usually did. Wavy hair framed Minseok's petite face while the owner looked at her sister with uncaring expression.

 

"I am not your sister." Minseok said with a shrug of her shoulder. Kyungsoo was hurt when she heard that. Somehow Minseok's voice sounded like herself but altogether. . . not like herself. 

 

"Minseok, you're my daughter and you're Uee, Sohee, and Kyungsoo's sister. How could you say those words to us?" 

 

"I am not Minseok, dear King." Xiumin replied with a sinister smile, making everyone in the room shivered, "I am simply. . . someone that Minseok had surpressed from the moment of the choosing." She craddled herself and cooing, "Poor Minseokkie have to suffer because of her uncaring family. Hmm? I know how she feels but that's okay, I will protect you from your family." Xiumin stopped craddling herself or rather, Minseok's body. She eyed everyone in the room with fury. "I will protect you from the Father that had abandon you," without raising a single hand or moving anything, Xiumin had threw Jiyong to the opposite side of the room, everyone screamed. "The sisters that had turned a blind eye at you," Uee and Sohee fell unconscious all of the sudden. ". . . and from your twin that had taken your place from you." Xiumin's eyes glowed blue and her features turn sharp.

 

"Get my father and sisters out, now!" Kyungsoo ordered the guards, sensing that things was about to get worse.

 

"But what about yo--" One of the guard said before he was interrupted bt Kyungsoo.

 

"I said, NOW!" Kyungsoo looked at the guards dead in the eye, the guard stiffly nodded and motioned for the others to follow Kyungsoo's order.

 

Xiumin smirked when Kyungsoo looked at her in fury, It's just the both of them now in the throne room.


Carry the peace and the coolness of night
And carry my sorrow in kind
Minseok, you're loved so much more than you know
May troubles be far from your mind
And forgive me for being so blind

Kyungsoo dodged the black arrows that came her way only to be scratched by another arrow coming from his left side. Blood dripped from the wound and Kyungsoo paid it no attention. The wound, afterall was just a mere line compared to other wounds that reside her body. 

 

"Oh, sweet Princess of the Sun, don't tire. The battle is still lo-ong~" Xiumin singsonged. She laughed at Kyungso's tattered state in glee. She enjoyed Kyungsoo's broken expression whenever she made a fresh cut on Kyungsoo's skin. The foolish girl still thinks that she herself, was still Minseok and not the moon itself. Jealousy always came to her whenever she sees the sun oke up and was greeted by the cheers of the people in Equestria while she, the Moon, did not being greet as enthusiastically and as cheerful as her sister but now, now was the time she could make the sun pay for all of those lonely years, now that the sun have a representative.  

 

"Give my sister back." Kyungsoo redied her sword and took a stance to attack. Left leg infront of the right, sword raised firmly in line with her eye, gripping the sword tightly, Kyungoo lunged for her sis-- Xiumin. The girl in front of her was not her sister, the needed to keep that in mind. Her sweet sister was lost in the darkness of the moon, but not gone. Kyungsoo hoped that she was not too late.  

 

Xiumin hummed in mock disappointment, "Pity." She spat before laughing once more. Kyungsoo quickly ran to Xiumin, making Xiumin turned her bows and arrows to a sword. Xiumin firmly put her feet on the ground and gripped the sword in front of her firmly, ready to take a blow from Kyungsoo.

 

Clash of Metals were heard and once every now and then, someone would see the body of Kyungsoo thrown to the walls until the wall broke, making Kyungsoo fell to the ground. As soon as she fell, she would quickly move to avoid the arrows from her sister. The civilians were not a fool and they quickly took that as a sign to quickly flee as far away as they could from the castle.

 

"Sister, please. Look at what you have done to our people, they are fleeting in fear!" Kyungsoo pointed her left arm to the source of screams and tears, praying to every God that her sister would listen buth her plan was not successful, Xiumin did not spare even a glance. Xiumin's gaze was fixed on Kyungsoo.

 

"Sister, they have never been ours, they are always yours and only yours. . . they shuned me." Minseok whispered, lowering her sword a little before Xiumin tried to take over again, but Minseok resisted it, killing her in the inside because of the pain Xiumin gave her. "and It's all because of you, where are you in my darkest times, where are you when I needed you the most where are you when I begged for you to come?!" Minseok shouted, backing Kyungsoo into the half-destroyed castle, before giving up on internally fighting Xiumin and let the later took over. 

 

"Kyungie unnie, will you accompany me on a walk?'

'I can't Minnie-a, it's night, beside there's a gala tomorrow and I need to look my best. Don't want to get dark circles, right?"

"a. . . gala?"

"Yes. . . Minnie-a aren't you invited?"

 

 

"Sister, the celebration for our birthday, I want to celebrate it with just our family. I don't want it to be public."

"Oh, Minnie. Don't be so selfish. All of our subjects wants to celebrate our birthday surely, you don't want them to be disappointed."

"No, It's just. . ."

 

 

"Minnie, it's time we separate our bedroom."

"But Unnie, ---"

"We're grown woman now, I'm sure you want a room for privacy too, don't you?"

"Yes, Unnie. . ."

 

Kyungsoo gasped at the sudden realisation. All this time. . . did she shut her Sister? before Kyungsoo could utter an apology, Xiumin had raised her hands and threw Kyungsoo into the door of the throne room, the door opened wide because of the impact making Kyungsoo hit the wall of the pillar that contain their mother's crown. The crown of the Queen fell, making a metalic sound, in front of her. Kyungsoo groaned in pain but at the sight of the crown, her pain seemed to disappear.

 

Ofcourse! Kyungsoo thought. 


The years now before us
Fearful and unknown
I never imagined
I'd face them on my own

Kyungsoo grab the crown and hessitantly put it on her head, Xiumin screeched when seeing Kyungsoo's action. 

 

A gold energy surrounds Kyungsoo, it grew stronger and stronger until it reached Xiumin, the girl flung backward when the light made contact with her.

 

Kyungsoo's bruises healed, her hair a dark shade of brown and her skin seemed to shine because of the light, lighting the dark throne room. The moon retreated back to sleep and the sun reclaimed its place in the sky.

 

"Moon Princess." Kyunsoo's voice boomed. "You had act so selfishly and disturbed the peace out of jealousy." 

 

Minseok, able to take over her body again, starts tearing up at what she had done to everything. "No, sister please! I can explain!" Minseok shouted desperately but Kyungsoo, still thinking that it was Xiumin, shook her head and looked at Minseok in pity and disappointment.

 

"I hereby punish you to sleep eternally and the punishment will be lifted from you when one of our people bring the stones of Orion and positioned it around you sleeping form at twilight." Kyungsoo said with finality, as soon as Kyungsoo finished her sentence, Minseok fell to the ground with eyes closed.

 

A tear drop from Kyungsoo's eye and soon the tears came more and more. Kyungsoo knelt on the ground and screamed the name of her twin to the sky. The scream was full of regret.


May these thousand winters
Swiftly pass, I pray
I love you; I miss you
All these miles away

[Present time]


 Kyungsoo looks at the moon, amazed at how beautiful it is. If only her sister is still here, Minseok would be flustered and quickly turn into her shy self. Minseok would decline it with cheeks tinted in pink and avoid all contacts with Kyungsoo. 

 

Kyungsoo misses her sister, she misses her gummy smiles, flustered expression, bubbly personality and most of all she misses the comfort Minseok will bring to Kyungsoo whenever she feels down. With her father and sisters's death, the world seems a lot bigger and lonelier. Kyungsoo had tried to make friends but everytime, they would always die and Kyungsoo would try to forget. There are no one that can live as long as Kyungsoo and Minseok adding another reason on why she misses her sister. She just want a company but she knows it's almost impossible with her sister still asleep.


May all your dreams be sweet tonight
Safe upon your bed of moonlight
And know not of sadness, pain, or care
And when I dream, I'll fly away and meet you there
Sleep...

 

Kyungsoo walks back to the castle as she sang the last line. The Sun rising every step she takes, darkening the Moon castle with the Sun's light.

 

"Sleep. . ." Kyungsoo whispers to a window of the moon castle, the one that shows Kyungsoo the sleeping form of Minseok, her most beloved sister. Kyungsoo finally broke her gaze from the castle.   

 

'I will sleep no more.' Kyungsoo hears Xiumin said. Her laughter rang in Kyungsoo's head with malice. Kyungsoo halts and widens her eyes.

 

'Help me. . .'  a soft whimper of a little girl made Kyungsoo's heart clenches in her chest. The whimper belongs to Minseok, their Minseok, not Xiumin, the dark side of the moon herself.


 

Epilogue

 

A guy with doe eyes walks into the abandoned castle of the Moon, bringing stones that was carved in strange symbols. He grins when he sees the pitch black door of Princess Minseok's room.

 

"Soon, Princess." Luhan opens the door and is greeted by the body of the Moon Princess, his Princess, sleeping soundly on her bed.


 

[Unknown Truth]

-the day of the choosing-

Minseok opened the box she chose and squeled in glee when the inside was a sunflower, a symbol of the sun. She was about to take it but her sister's word made her stop.

 

"I will choose the sun."

 

She pulled back her hands hugging it to her chest, looking the sunflower with sadness. "Father, let me have the box containing a gift from the moon." Minseok whispered.

 

"Isn't this what you wanted, sweetheart?" Jiyong softly said, Minseok's hair softly. "No, I don't want to be the Sun. I can't stand the Sun!" Jiyong heard Minseok said before she backed away from Jiyong's touch.

 

"Minseok, honey, you have to understand that it isn't your place to choose." 

 

"It is my life, so I have the right to choose what I see fit." 

 

"Minseok-a."

 

"Please, Father." Minseok pleaded. "Kyungsoo deserve this much more than I." she pushed the sunflower gently and accepted the black bot that containe a gift from the moon, hugging it protectively. "I can only picture myself with the moon and not with the sun." 

 

Jiyong sighed loudly, putting the sunflower in its own black box. Jiyong walked away but now without whispering, "If that is what you wish."

 

"It's not my wish, Father. It's what the moon wants." Minseok quietly said when her father was nearing her sister. She watch in mixed emotions when she saw her sister smile.

 

'I gave my position to you, Sister because I love you.'

 

 


 

A/N : and there you have it! Comment and Upvote, please!