Chapter two

The Enigmatic Stranger

The shrill sound of my alarm woke me from my deep slumber. I didn't bother containing the discontented groan that left my lips. I picked my phone and blindly typed in my password, so I could stop the irritating noise emanating from it. Part of me wanted to just lie down and fall back asleep, but it was already 8:25 and I couldn't afford to waste time. Sighing I still got up and hopped out of bed, then headed off to my closet to choose an outfit.

I ended up throwing a good bit of my closet onto my bed until I found something I deemed acceptable. I chose a pastel pink skirt and completed it with a white button up which I tucked into my skirt. Searching through my tens of pairs of shoes, I chose a white pair of short open toed heels and hurriedly put them on. After I had evaluated my outfit, I went to grab my brush and ran it through my hair getting the knots out of it. Glancing into my mirror one more time I considered myself ready, so I checked the time again to gauge how long I had left.
8:41 AM. Perfect! The cafe was only a ten minute walk away, but I guess I could start the walk now and grab a pastry there for breakfast. I calmly made my way over to the door, twisted the handle and headed out.

The weather was holding up well, though it worried me that there are several gray clouds dotting the sky. I quickly debated on whether I wanted to rummage through my room to find an umbrella, but ultimately decided against it, since it would just take me too long to find something that may not even be there. I finally walked out of my house closing the door gently behind me.

Looking down at my phone, I walked the path to the cafe. I've been visiting this place every summer for the past few years, so I knew it the route to Heavenly Delight like the back of my hand. Taking a deep breath I tore my gaze from my phone to look out ahead of me and I noticed that my destination was actually already within my sights, so I sped up my pace and arrived at the door which I pulled open with ease. I was greeted by the owner who I adored because honestly he treated me like his own daughter.

"Jieun! And here I thought you had forgotten about this old place." He had a huge grin on his face which in turn made me smile.

"I would never forget this place Mr. Lee. Where else would I go for sweets?" I replied jokingly. "But I actually have something to ask you today"

"And what's that?"

"Well I wanted to see if you needed some help around here because well.. I kind of need a way of making money." I spoke while playing with my hands. "But I mean it's okay if-"

"Ah stop that Jieun. You know there's always a place for you here. And you can start today if you have time; you can help me take orders and give the customers what they ordered."

"Thank you so much! Yeah that sounds perfect." I squealed not really concealing my excitement. While we were talking, I didn't notice someone walked in until they tugged gently on Mr. Lee's arm causing him to look down and that brought my attention to them as well. It was an adorable young girl with very long black hair; I felt ridiculous because I've never felt myself get jealous at someone's hair until now.

"Oh, hello there Jihyun. What are you doing here?" The elder man spoke gently to the child.

"I wanted something to eat, so I came over here." The little girl, Jihyun apparently, answered eagerly her eyes sparkling at her own mention of food. Wow this girl reminds me of me getting excited at food; it was actually really cute.

"Ah, well I'll get you a muffin, and you can stay here with Jieun alright?"

Jihyun nodded quickly at what he said, and she looked up at me with a shy smile. I decided to try to make her feel more comfortable by introducing myself.

"You're Jihyun right?" She nodded at me. "Wow that's such a pretty name! You know. My name is similar did you hear what Mr. Lee called me?" I questioned and again she nodded but this time with a big grin.

"Of course I heard it! Your name is Jieun right?" She chirped, and I responded with a simple yes while laughing at how cute I found her. One second she was all shy, and now she's so happy. Mr. Lee came back with the pastry and handed it over to Jihyun who accepted it happily and spoke out a thank you.

"Jihyun where's your brother? You do know he must be worried sick about you. I don't want to scold you; but even though you live close to here, you can't come here without him." Jihyun looked a little guilty at what Mr. Lee had just told her but nodded regardless. Brother? He must be worried sick about her if she's not with him.

"I'm sorry sir.." Jihyun had uttered with her head slightly lowered "but I left him a note saying I'll come here." Mr. Lee chuckled and knelt down to her level.

"Did you? Well this time it's okay because you're okay. But next time you have to come here with him." He explained to the young girl trying to make her realize how dangerous it was to do what she did. "Jieun. Do you mind watching over her until her brother comes? I need to go make more pastries."

"I don't mind sir."

We spent a good few minutes together talking about various different things like her favorite animals or just anything that really popped in her mind. She was in the middle of asking me a question when the bell on the door rang out signaling someone came in. Not looking up from the child I was watching, I simply greeted them with a welcome, but I did look up quickly when Jihyun got up and ran to the door.

"Jihyun! Where are you-" I stopped myself mid sentence when I realized who it was that she ran to. He was dressed in a pair of dark skinny jeans which was complemented by a black button up whose sleeves were rolled up to his elbow. His hair tousled but somehow still in a very handsome way. Familiar dark eyes gazed into my own, and after awhile he looked back at Jihyun.

"If you wanted to come here, then you should've just woken me up Jihyun." He sighed running a hand through his hair. "I hope someone here at least told you this already."

As if he were called on, Mr. Lee came out from the back with some dough on his black apron. "Oh Woohyun you're here! I'm glad you found each other." Wait they know each other? Oh no, he must come here often because of Jihyun. Breaking me from my thoughts and my awkward standing here saying nothing, Mr. Lee walked my way and patted my back. "This is Jieun; she was watching Jihyun for awhile."

"Really?" His voice still as effective on my heart as it was only a couple hours ago. He looked over at me his gaze still as intense as before. "Well, thank you for that."

"Y-yeah.. uh no problem." I stuttered. Okay, come on clear your throat and stop stuttering. "She was seriously no trouble to watch." I calmly stated adding a slight smile.

"That's good." He looked away from me catching the attention of his sister. "Jihyun, let's go home, and you can eat that there" he coaxed her pointing at the bagged muffin.

As they were walking towards the door, Woohyun suddenly stopped and stuck his hand in his pocket pulling out some money. He beckoned me over, and I blindly obligated walking over to him. Looking down at my hand I got the message, so I opened my hand out.

"This should be enough for whatever she got. Thanks again." He placed the money in my hand and pulled his hand away faster than I would've liked. He looked into my eyes one last time, as I nodded and muttered out something that hopefully sounded like you're welcome. His sister looked up at me and giggled probably at how ridiculous I was being.

"Bye Jieun! See you next time!" Jihyun chimed in. I couldn't help but smile at her innocence. "And don't worry I won't come alone again. I'll bring Woohyun with me!"

"Oh okay. Bye Jihyun see you." I said trying my hardest to be excited obviously I acted well enough because she grinned at me and pulled Woohyun's arm, so they could leave. I'm so screwed. Out of everyone living here how could he be her brother? Making me come out of my thoughts for the second time that day Mr. Lee started laughing. I flinched totally forgetting he was there.

"You seem so out of it;" he told me walking towards me taking half the money from my hand "here keep half. You did good watching her."

"Thank you so much sir." I replied with a small smile gracing my features. "Oh and would you do me a favor?"

"Why of course Jieun. What is it?"

"Can you not uhm.. Well.."

"Tell Woohyun about how interested you are in him?" He interrupted me with a playful grin. I opened my mouth to refute what he just said, but he stopped me again.

"I may be old Jieun, but I'm not oblivious. I've known you for years now, and I just saw firsthand how differently you acted around him. But put your mind at ease, I wouldn't dream of telling him." He assured me placing his hand on my shoulder. My lips curved upwards, as I thanked him. But the moment was ruined by the growling of my stomach. My face flushed embarrassed by the noise, but he chortled and headed over to the glass display and held out an apple turnover with vanilla glaze. "On the house"

I squealed in delight and reached out to grab it. "Thank you!" I ate it quickly and returned to the counter ready for work. The worry of what I would do if Woohyun did come by again evading my thoughts.

---Also thanks to those who subbed!---