Chapter three

The Enigmatic Stranger

Taking one last glance around the slowly emptying room, I left out a contented sigh at the thought of a job well done. I strolled over to the counter, and ran my hand into the pocket of my apron to pull out my phone.
6:37 PM. Well that isn't bad, the sun is still going to stay out for quite some time making my journey home even easier on myself.

I glanced around the cafe to take a minute to really observe it, and this was truly the first time I realized how elegant yet quaint it was. It had a colored theme to it being a lovely ruby red entwined with the occasional lighter shade of gold. The walls painted a deep burgundy which went beautifully with the chairs that bore a criss-cross pattern and colored with the aforementioned gold and red. The countertops were a gorgeous white marble that didn't draw attention away from the theme, in fact, it complemented the surrounding colors. I allowed my gaze to travel behind me; and I noticed how the menus, which hung evenly from the ceiling, had a burgundy backing and was framed elegantly with gold which all went back to highlight the striking white font.

"Jieun," Mr. Lee called for me, effectively snapping me out of my thoughts "you can go and head on home. The customers are nearly done."

"Ah, yes sir. Thank you." I replied a huge grin spreading itself on my face. He nodded giving me a slight smile before walking off to the register. I placed my phone on the counter beside me, and stretched my back for a bit before moving to untie the apron. After it was untied, I moved to take it off then let my legs carry me to the back room where I hung it neatly on the rack that stood in the corner. Walking out of the back room, I caught Mr. Lee's attention and uttered a goodbye before grabbing my phone and trotting outside taking in a big breath of the crisp air. Everything today was so worth it. Heavenly Delight is fairly popular; so it was anything but slow today, yet it felt so fulfilling to be able to help Mr. Lee out.

While reminiscing about the events of today on my short walk home, I glanced above me to take notice of how the sky was completely filled with grey clouds threatening to pour down at any given second. Seeing this I sped up my pace, nearly bumping into others who had the same idea as I did, and arrived at my door only after a few more minutes. I fumbled around with doorknob until I realized it was locked, and I left my keys inside the house.

Well that's pretty great. I considered any possibility I had that wasn't breaking into my own house, as I gazed absentmindedly around my front porch. At the metal patio bench, the mini plot of soil that bore many Rose of Sharon shrubs, the potted fern right by the door.. "Ah!" Almost immediately I let out a joyful yell, as I realized my parents kept a spare key in the soil of said plant. It wasn't exactly my cup of tea getting dirt all over my hands, but it sure beat being locked out. I rifled through the plant and shouted ecstatically, when I finally unearthed the key, and only to find myself drawing a few awkward looks. Though I immediately disregarded it, as I wiped the excess dirt and unlocked my door. Finally faced with an open door, I threw the key back into the plant and was finally inside my house.

I kicked off my shoes and hustled over to the sink in the kitchen, so I could wash the dirt off. I ended up walking with my hands cupped out in front of me trying to be careful not to ruin the pristine porcelain sink. Pushing up the handle on the sink with my elbow, I gently rinsed off my hands and ripped off a paper towel to dry them. Afterwards I threw the towel in the bin and waltzed over to my bedroom to change into black sweatpants and a plain black tee. I plopped down onto my bed and checked my phone wondering what I should do next.
6:52 PM.
Well it's too early to even fathom sleeping.
"Ah! I could go to the beach!" I shouted in glee vocalizing my thoughts aloud. Easily hopping off of my bed I quickly stepped over to my front door to put on a pair of sandals. Though before leaving the house I made sure to leave my phone on my bedside table and take the keys to avoid being locked out again. After everything was done, I shoved the keys in my pocket and headed on out.

The second I opened the door I was immediately met with a light shower that would no doubt intensify throughout the night. I pondered about if I wanted to risk getting soaked because there was indeed a chance I would catch a cold. I eventually came to the reasoning that it was just water, and I could warm up when I returned home. Nodding to myself I took my first step into the rain slowly becoming drenched, as I paced myself down the path I familiarized myself with. After a little while of walking inattentively, I found myself in front of the familiar foliage that I pushed aside without any hesitation covering it up after I walked through.

Eyeing the entire area, I realized how much like paradise this was to me. The beautiful white sands with the gorgeous cerulean sea crashing down onto it. The water was covered in ripples due to the rain; and while overlooking the area I noticed a few palm tree gathered together, so I bounced happily over to them to cover myself (albeit not very well) from the downpour. Realizing there was no way I could get anymore wet, I sat on the  soaked sand not minding having to wash the clothes later. I stared out into the ocean allowing myself to take this time to simply daydream. My thoughts wandered from various topics but mainly revolved around today. I wondered about Jihyun and Woohyun. About how different their personalities are. She's so bubbly, energetic and full of smiles, while Woohyun is solemn and mysterious; it really perplexed me. In the middle of my musing, I was interrupted by a voice that flowed easily.

"You're not very bright, are you?" I jumped at the sudden intrusion snapping my head up to look at the offender. Instantaneously my eyes widened at who it was, and I wondered if the lord loved or hated me. He wore the same attire I saw him in earlier except he was holding an umbrella that covered the both of us. Looking slightly amused at my expression, he lowered himself crouching near my level. "You'll end up getting sick." My face flushed immediately at his comment. There was no way he was concerned about me. Was there?

"I uh.. I'll be fine. Thanks for being worried though." I managed to say giving him a sweet smile. He hummed in response back to me, after a second or two, he eventually gave up on crouching and sat on the sand decently close to me, and we both sat in an awkward silence for quite some time. As we both sat watching the ocean, I had a hard time not glancing over at him. After a little while longer I figured not only would this would be the only chance I'll have to talk to him personally and get him to open up, but I could also get a few of my questions answered.

"So uhm.." Good start me. "If you don't mind me asking, why did you come here?" I questioned turning his way. He went to meet my gaze, and it felt as if we were looking at each other for an eternity before he parted his lips to answer my question.

"It's peaceful here." He replied simply leaving me wanting to hear him speak again. It was as if he read my mind because he continued our conversation. "It's like a hidden getaway from everything, which I'll assume is why you're here." He took a pause looking at me expectantly, so I nodded a bit too eagerly as to answer him. Though at my reaction I could've sworn I saw the faintest of smiles.

"Was today your first time seeing Jihyun?" He inquired shocking me a bit that he took the initiative to keep the conversation alive (not that I'm complaining at all).

"Yeah, it was the first time." I responded maintaining eye contact. "She was an angel though, so it was honestly a joy to watch her." I couldn't help the huge grin from appearing talking about it because I saw how his eyes lit up at the statement.

"That's fantastic, but I need to tell you something. She is the sweetest little girl you'll ever meet, so don't say anything that'll strike a nerve. I'm saying this to you in secrecy because I can tell she already adores you." I quirked an eyebrow showing I was confused about which topics could cause her distress. He seemed to catch on. "Don't bring up our mother or father." The breath was taken out of my lungs, as I intently listened to the next part which he mumbled so quietly I could only catch a few words "..Poor health." But that was all I need to catch on to what he meant.

"Oh. I- I'm so sorry to hear that"

"I didn't tell you for your pity; I just wanted you to know before you mentioned it to her."

His voice wasn't rage filled but rather firm and somber, as if this wasn't the first time someone gave him condolences. Immediately I nodded not wanting to accidentally insult him again.

"I understand." I cooed gently. "We don't have to talk about it any further; you have my word I won't bring it up around her." A genuine smile played its way onto his lips and he muttered a thank you to me.

We went back to silently gazing out to the ocean. Though this time the silence was comfortable; I know he only told me that for Jihyun, but it had to have been a relief for Woohyun to finally say something. As the time passed all too quickly he told me it was getting late, and it was a good idea to start heading home which I half heartedly agreed to. So when he offered to walk me home, I graciously accepted it with a downplayed grin as to hide how ecstatic I truly was. When we finally reached the door I beamed thanking him, then I bid him a good night though he just nodded at me. My mood would have deflated a little had I not heard his last sentence before walking off.

"Sweet dreams."

I didn't bother to stop a goofy smile from dawning itself upon my lips, as I unlocked the door and stepped inside. Sweet dreams indeed. I thought to myself before changing and plopping down on my bed letting my eyes flutter shut.

---Sorry it took awhile; I tend to not write unless I really have the urge because that results in a better chapter. I personally want to thank those who subbed to this story. I understand that the amount may seem miniscule to many, but it's very flattering to me. Thank you all!---