Odd Eye

Odd Eyed
Odd eyed
Chapter 1 ; Odd Eye

Rosinate, a planet quarter of the size of earth. It is beautiful and flourishing, able to sustain all forms of life. It's unique asterisk shaped land is a continent on its own and makes up a third of the planet. The water that spreads across the rest of the planet is know as the Blue Enaco filled with Enatic creatures while the sky is filled with many beautiful Dribs that resemble what Earthlings know as birds. A vast amount of species of Malians in the form of what humans recognize as animals roamed the lands peacefully. It is always Spring and the breathtakingly beautiful botany blossoms magnificently all year round. In other words, their ecosystem was flawless. The indigenous intellectual species of the planet are called Synates. They resemble humans.

The planet is envied by all intergalactic races. While other races were struggling to enhance their technology in order to create an atmosphere suitable for inhabitants, Rosinate was always at optimum sustainability. Over the span of 10,000 years, Rosinate had been attacked countless times by dozens of different planets. They all had one common goal, and that was to wipe out the Synates and take over Rosinate.

That is why The Royals exist. The five legends fight alongside the military, generation after generation to protect Rosinate from the invasion and succession plans of other planets. Out of 10 million Synates, roughly a hundredth of the population are born with abilities. These Synates are called, The Blessed. Although a Blessed's powers are no where close to being as potent as a Royal's, with sufficient military training, they stood a chance to earn the title, 'Holy Blessed'.

A Blessed is born with pitch black irides and their eyes glow when using their abilities. Every colour represents a different ability. This glow is owed to the colour of their AG, Aptitude Gem, located at the center of their heart. On their first birthday, each Blessed's eyes glow for the first time to reveal their ability.

When it comes to singling out Royals, the process becomes that much more tedious.

The day a Royal dies, newborn babies are tagged with trackers. On their first birthday, all these babies are observed as their eyes glow for the first time. When the new royal is found, they are taken away from their family to be raised at The Royal Headquarters on military grounds. A group of Holy Blessed appointed by past Royals bear the responsibility to gather, raise and train these reincarnates.

Year 11,993, now better known as 1993 ; when the last standing 21st generation Royal, the Royal Anax, had died on the 17th of Yulj, the search began once again.

That same year on the 7th of Torobec, a special Blessed was born. On her first birthday, she was registered as, The Anassa.

 

 


Dewsen, 18th of Charm 2014 - Rosinate National University for The Blessed (RNU)

"Ha Maerin," Kang Seul Yi, Honor Class 1-A's homeroom teacher and Aptitude Theory Professor called as she was carrying out the second daily role call.

Maerin's eyes widened slightly as her irides glowed a deep purple, "Present," she sent the telepathic message, her eyes remained purple even after. Professor Kang nodded in approval and the corners of Maerin's lips tugged up in a small smile. She had succeeded in conveying the message through telepathy.

"A little soft, but good job," she read the mind of her professor and nodded in acknowledgement of the input.

It was Maerin's 3rd day at Rosinate National University, the most prestigious Blessed University on the planet. After becoming the first applicant to ever achieve a 98 on her entrance exams, she immediately became an honor scholar. Thanks to her potent Aptitude Gem, Maerin was able to easily achieve the outstanding score on the skill focused test.

Earlier that day during Aptitude Capacity (AC) class, Maerin attained her first breakthrough with her mind control ability, known as Myalo. While practicing her capacity and successfully reading and influencing the minds of all 20 students in the class at once, she managed to obtain second degree mind control. However, even after she stopped using her ability, her eyes remained a deep purple.

Her AC teacher, Mrs. Choi Sohee, let her know that the persisting eye colour was the symptom of a breakthrough. According to the records, she was the first Synate apart from The Royals to have had their first breakthrough so early. Maerin hadn't even officially turned 21 yet while most students only began to master their first degree skill when they'd turned 21.

During the period of her mind control breakthrough, Maerin had difficulties casting healing. Yes, Maerin has two aptitudes. Mind control and healing, known as Thera. There had never been anyone like her in the recorded history of Rosinate. Not only did she have dual aptitude but according to her doctor, Jang Eunkyung, since birth, her Aptitude Gem was as potent as that of a Holy Blessed's.

All of this was a secret though. Nobody knew of her dual aptitude but her family, Dr. Jang and Song Hee-Jin, the birth registration officer. She never knew why, but her parents had always tried to keep her dual aptitude a secret. Ever since her first birthday when they saw each of Maerin's eyes glow in different colours, they pulled every possible string in order to keep it a secret. Their titles as retired Holy Blessed Synates assisted them in getting it done easily.

The day Maerin had her breakthrough she had gotten a minor paper cut. Knowing she could use both her skills at once, since she had always practiced, she tried to heal the small wound. However, for some reason during the period her mind control breakthrough, she faced difficulties in triggering her healing aptitude. So that same day, she paid the hospital a visit to ask why.

After an AG scan, her doctor explained that triggering her healing aptitude during the breakthrough of her mind control was difficult because at that point her her healing aptitude was being overpowered. Dr. Jang immediately advised Maerin to work on having a healing aptitude breakthrough. She had to try her best keep her aptitudes balanced.

"Come over to the hospital after classes to work on enhancing your healing aptitude, Maerin," Dr. Jang said.

"You need to work as hard in the hospital as you do in school," Dr. Jang reminded, "You're one of a kind. Although your gift is going to have you working twice as hard as others, you should cherish it."

Many healers applied to work part-time in hospitals to enhance their aptitudes. So, Dr. Jang thought that she might as well allow Maerin to take on a part-time post in the hospital. Maerin was posted as an ER staff. Although she was only a first degree healer, her potent AG would be a precious asset to the ER for efficient healing of external wounds.

Maerin nodded in response, "Thank you, Dr. Jang," Maerin thanked before leaving the room to head home.

» author's note

         

Hello! I'm back with a new story. This time I'm writing a whole new genre to me ; Fantasy Sci-fi. I had the urge to write and took SHINee's Odd album as inspiration. I had almost chosen View as my main prompt but finally thought that Odd Eye would be cool. The I had in mind plot evolved  from a cliche love story into a fansy sci-fi, haha.

By the way, if you guys hadn't noticed or if I was being too over ambitious by creating a Synation language, all the alienesque words are just words spelled differently.

Enaco - Ocean , Dirbs - Birds , Malians - Animals , Dewsen - Wednes(day) , Charm - March

As for the names of powers, they're English words translated to Greek.

Should I not include Synation language? xD I felt like it added to the Sci-Fi feeling.

Special thanks to -heibai, Sweetney and Blu3Wind for ideas :3