The Ending

First

 

*

Oh Sehun, many years after graduation, became mystery to you. You try not to think of him.

After that disastrous Valentine's Day, you avoided Sehun as much as possible until the end of your school days (which was only a few months away). It seemed as you were trying (and failing miserably) to wash the mascara stains off of Jongin's school shirt in the bathroom, the sweet boy had told and cleared with your mother that you and Sehun were no longer a thing. So, your parents no longer invited Sehun over for dinner like you guys had your entire life. It was unfamiliar. You couldn't - and can't - help but think it's a waste of a friendship.

Jongin became your supporting pillar and Jieun became your protector. She'll screen every boy that tries to pursue your heart - and of course, she ships you and Jongin.

In the second year of university, Sehun moved out of his house to live closer to his campus. Not much was heard from him again, apart from that he has successfully graduated with a degree in sound engineering. Jongin is still doing his medical degree. He aims to be a childrens' doctor.

Turned out the YunJae fan fiction you were reading during your high school days were written by yours truly, Kim Jieun. She's finished her degree in literature and is now a columnist. As for you, you're happy with your life, your career, and your degree, and even happier with Jongin.

It isn't as if you forgot about Oh Sehun - you could never. The mystery still lingers behind the back of yours and Jongin's mind - how he managed to disappear out of both you and Jongin's lives with no trace. Most of all, why he cheated on you. Was there even a reason? Or was it just... him being him? Maybe familiar wasn't the word to describe Sehun - his voice, his eyes, his lips, his touch - after all.

You snap out of your thoughts as you hear your name being call by a sweet, familiar voice. You blink at the city lights out your window a couple of times, forcing your heavy head to turn to face the voice.

"Oh, Jongin. You're bac- Oh, goodness!" You start laughing, pinching your nose. "You smell like formalin* again!" You get up and gently shove him towards the bathroom.

"What? I can't help it, you are dating a meds student."

"Yeah, yeah. Only because I love you, blegh. Even the dogs are avoiding you, fyi." You kiss him on the lips before throwing new clothes at him. "Go shower!"

You sit back on the sofa next to the window. When you graduated, you moved into this condo with Jongin. He had insisted you live for free, but regardless of relationship, you insisted to pay something. So, you ended up paying for a third of the rent. Your parents only let you move out in the condition that 1) you visited them at least once a week 2) you don't get pregnant before marrying Jongin. To which Jongin chocked on air at the second condition, and turned red to the ears - just like at 12 years old.

This week, Jongin decides to pay your parents a visit. Your father greets him with a pat on his back as Jongin bow to your parents. Polite as ever. You smile at Jongin, who smiles back.

The four of you move into the living room where lounge with your mother's homemade snacks and watch the television. The news about new medical technology sparks a conversation between your father and Jongin, who begins discussing how these technology, although good, not available to everyone.

The news move onto the entertainment section where they talk about Chemistry-King actor and Nation's first love going out. Some issue about people are criticising each other for criticising, so on so forth - to which your mother contributes to the criticism. It then announces that SM Entertainment's new boy band, has debuted today. They debuted on M Countdown, which caused the server of the website to crash, that the investment SM Entertainment has put into the groups multiple teasers seem to have been worth it after all, blah blah blah.

Your mother puts down her tea and walks out of the room before coming back with a little square something in her hand.

"Sehun came around today." Jongin halts his sentence and the room is blanketed with only the sound of the television talking about Chinese k-pop idols filing lawsuits.

She hands you the square object, which turns out to be an album. Jongin scoots over to you. You look down at the EP of SM Entertainment's new boy band. "He told me to give it to you. He said to tell you... What was it again, Papa?" she looks over to her husband for help.

"For old times sa-"

"For old times sake! Yes, he told me to tell you that." she repeats.

You look at Jongin, with confused eyes, but nonetheless, smile at your parents. Both you and Jongin end up having dinner at your parents' place because Jongin complains that you never cook for him - to which you argue that it is not true, you do. Sometimes.

The light in your car monitor said it is 09:04, you bid goodbye to your parents and get in the car with Jongin. One look at Jongin and you both know what songs to play. With SM Entertainment's new boy band's songs playing in the background, you both don't say anything during the journey. Neither of you find any meaning in Sehun leaving the EP for you - the songs aren't even your type. So, you read through each and every page of the album.

A few pages in, you spot a small print with Oh Sehun on it.

"Oh... He helped with the album." You tell Jongin.

He hums in agreement, "He did graduate in sound engineering, I guess."

"Uhm, yeah."

You're drifting in and out of sleep when Jongin calls your name as he drives into the highway toll. SM Entertainment's new boy band's EP ends there as DB5K's old songs roll on.

"Hm, yeah?" you yawn. The digital clock on the structure rudely glares that it is now 09:25:55 PM.

"It... Might, I mean, it is a touchy subject but I'd like you to tell me..." Jongin pauses and you anticipate. "You never told me really what happened with Sehun..." His voice trails off at the end of the sentence, observing your reaction.

You remain quiet for a while, in which Jongin quickly says, "Only if you're fine with it, I mean. I'm not going to force it out of you I kno-"

"Please, Jongin. Calm down. It's okay. You deserve to know more than anyone. Plus, I'm not exactly crying myself to sleep every night about him anymore." You laugh but your voice becomes quiet, "Though it did hurt."

Jongin lets go of his right hand on the driving wheel and reaches out to squeeze your hands, which are on your lap. "I love you, you know?"

You stop playing with your nails and squeeze his hand back. "I do, too."

You close your eyes. There isn't much you could keep as memory, as you try to recall them. Only blurry scenes roll out.

"I'll start from the beginning, then."

 

 

 

 

 

*Formalin is a chemical that they use to store bodies. Medical students will need to dissect these bodies for study. [To save you guys from searching and possibly stumbling upon something...]