Coffee

Coffee *One-Shot*

Just a small something I thought of while listening to this song! Enjoy

~*~                                                                                           

Coffee is how I describe our relationship, I mean, it’s where it first started. I was a sophomore at Seoul National University, he was a freshman. I spent my time, like most college kids at the Starbucks on campus. I sat the table near the window, caramel macchiato in hand preparing for exams. That’s where I saw him. He was breathtaking, his plaid green shirt did his skin tone justice, and I couldn’t keep my eyes off of him. I believed it was a good thing when he noticed me staring, he took his coffee from the barista and sat across from me.

His name was Baekhyun, he became my world, his adorable puppy like face drew me in. I asked for his number that day, I paced my apartment, biting my nails in nervousness. My first text message to him was awkward, I’m sure I had 20 drafts on what to say before I sent him ‘hi.’ We talked constantly after that, I finally asked him out a month after we met. I my nerves were unbearable, I almost postponed. But I didn’t. I took him to the Starbucks that started our relationship. He got a caramel macchiato, I got a café latte.

I took him to a small park on campus, this is where I kissed him. I held his hand, careful not to shake as we walked the stone ground. I stopped walking, earning a confused look from him. I untangled our fingers and stood in front of him. My hand nervously was placed on his cheek, I was scared. I leaned in and placed my lips over his. He dropped his coffee, wrapping his arms around my neck. His lips tasted sweet, like the coffee. I could kiss him forever.

Over time, I got comfortable, he learned of my dreams of being a singer and his of being on Broadway in America. He knew everything about me, and I knew everything about him. We were inseparable, we were always together. I never wanted to be without him.

What once tasted sweet turned bitter. I was at the end of my senior year when I was apart of a group called Exo under SM Entertainment, I was getting everything I wanted. Baekhyun was supportive, but the late night recording sessions and time away took a toll on our relationship. We fought, screamed and made countless mistakes. We both became bitter, I hated seeing his face every morning, I got sick of him. I hated that feeling with every fiber in my being.

I broke up with Baekhyun that day.

They wanted me to do promotions and movies in New York, I accepted their offer. I didn’t tell him.

It’s been 4 years since I moved, I stopped drinking caramel macchiatos, it hurt too much. I had fame and fortune, I felt depression and anger get stronger every day. Those love songs I sang were nothing but empty words. I cried every night. I never turned to drugs or alcohol, I never went that low. I did have an addiction, my apartment was right across the street from a Starbucks. I went every day.

I started drinking Americano, it was bitter, just like the way we broke up, I remember his cold tone of voice as he walked away from me the last time. I still think about him, the cup filled with liquid reminded me of the memories of my relationship, why do I keep drinking it?

I wonder if he remembers the promises and our future. I think about it. I hope he does to. The scent of a café latte doesn’t appeal to me anymore, it reminded me of the way he smelled as we cuddled on the couch, I would hold him and be content with the world. That’s where we made the promise of getting married, I wanted nothing more to have him as my husband. My insides hurt for no reason.

The thoughts of him plagued my mind, the thoughts constantly go back to the Starbucks on campus. I hope he’s happy without me, he deserved the world. I wished that I was the one to give it to him.

A lot of time has passed since I last thought about him, I’m working on kicking the coffee habit. That’s when I saw it. A poster for a musical, at the top I saw his name. He did it, he made it to Broadway. I drank straight espresso that night, it kept me awake that night, all I could do was think about him. I cried, I screamed, all the thoughts returned. I loved him. I lost him. He was in the same city, I never saw the musical.

I sat at the table in Starbucks, ready for a live Twitter chat, my fans suppressed the depressing memories. I removed my headphones from the pocket and plugged it to my laptop. Over the calmness of the café I heard him “Caramel macchiato,” he spoke. My head whipped to the front at the counter. There he was, he lost weight since the last time I saw him, he changed his hairstyle to a light brown color. He was still beautiful like the first day I met him all those years ago. I ducked my head as he started to leave, afraid that he would see me.

My heart was racing, I had a mental game of ping pong going on in my head. Should I approach him? Should I stay here and let him go? I shut my laptop, leaving it there as I ran outside. His back was turned to me as he walked. I hesitantly walked behind him, I didn’t know what to do. “Baekhyun,” I said as a whisper I didn’t think he could hear, but he noticed, he dropped the coffee. He stood frozen at the sound of my voice

He turned around and looked at me with wide eyes “Chanyeol,” he whispered back. We both stood on the sidewalk in shook, neither of us talked or moved. It was the first time in 4 years that we’ve seen each other. Time started to move again, he ran up to me, knocking the bitter Americano out of my hand as he wrapped his arms around me tightly. He sobbed into my chest. I put my hand on his back to calm him.

Looking at me with his teary eyes, he kissed me. His lips tasted the same, the bitterness of my coffee mixed with the sweet caramel macchiato. In that moment, I vowed never to let him go again.

I married him that winter.

~*~

Hope you all enjoyed it! Dont forget to read my other Baekyeol work Band-Aids Don't Fix Bullet Holes!