Chapter 1

Break Apart His Heart

​Sunggyu had met hundreds of young ghosts yet none as annoying as Kim Myungsoo. 

Usually, all inexperienced ghosts were extremely polite towards him, fully aware of the fact that Sunggyu might possibly be the only person they could go to with their last requests. Sunggyu didn't always listen to their pleas, but as long as some were within reasonable bounds, he sometimes helped them out so that they could cross over peacefully, or go towards the light or whatever – he didn't know and he didn't care.

Kim Myungsoo sat on on top of the counter next to Sunggyu in a local small town bar, tapping his shoulder repeatedly, waiting for a reaction that Sunggyu refused to give the younger, "I saw you glance at me a minute ago. Are you a ghost whisperer or something? Pass on a message for me then. It's not that hard. Come on."

Sunggyu shruged his shoulders, finally turning to glare hard at him. 

"See! You can see me even though I'm dead, which means you are a ghost whisperer."

"What makes you think you can order me around?"

"Because if you don't do what I say, I'll just haunt you forever." 

Sunggyu gritted his teeth hard, biting back some insults that were forming in his mind. With a sigh, he turned his gaze back to a certain table of three that he'd been eyeing for some time. He wasn't particularly interested in any of the three men, but there was no one else to look at. The bar was surprisingly empty for once.

"You've got your eyes on Woohyun haven't you? Try him. He'll love to have you for a night. I can promise you."

Shaking his head, Sunggyu sighed one more time at Myungsoo's words. What would it take to get the young ghost off his back? Myungsoo kept bothering him by massaging his shoulders, squeezing and rubbing him as if he was encouraging Sunggyu to get in a fight.

Meanwhile, Woohyun was drinking his feelings away while a good friend sat by his side, rubbing his thigh under the table. Evidently the younger of the two didn't feel like reacting to it in any way. The third one seemed somewhat unaware of what was going on under the table, but at the same time he looked pretty uncomfortable so he might just have been pretending.

"That's Dongwoo. He and Woohyun are secretly sleeping together and they both think that no one knows about it." Myungsoo commented at the side. "The other one with the laptop is Hoya. He's secretly in love with Woohyun."

Secrets. Uh huh. Although he didn't say it, Sunggyu already knew all that. 

He also knew fully well what Woohyun was like and hated it to his core. If Myungsoo's message involved having Sunggyu interact with that playboy, Sunggyu was beginning to consider just disappear for a while until Myungsoo got bored and floated away to some other town. (Or another country, Sunggyu thought, would be ideal.)

"What's your message then?" he asked cautiously, hating himself for a moment for even considering accepting a last request from someone so ill mannered.

"Kiss him."

"No, I mean an actual message. What do you want to say to him?"

"Give him a kiss and then tell him it's from me." Myungsoo elaborated with a sneer. "Make sure to say it after you've kissed him. I mean, he'd probably still gladly accept your cute lips even while he's freaked out about knowing I was the one who asked you to do it, but it's more fun this way. Right?"

Sunggyu rolled his eyes. "Oh great. You're a psycho..." 

Myungsoo hadn't been so bad while he was alive. He used to be a pretty shy guy, in some ways kind of adorable even. Sunggyu used to feel bad for him since he was dating a lying cheat like Woohyun. It must have affected him a lot if he was still so hell bent over getting revenge after his death. 

"How did you die?"

Myungsoo's expression changed completely as he furrowed his brows. "I can't remember." 

"You died just last week..."

"I know. I only remember waking up in the hospital for a couple of minutes... before my heart stopped. I don't know what led to me being brought there." Myungsoo frowned, suddenly realising that Sunggyu was shifting the focus of their conversation away from his request. "Anyway, what does it matter? When are you going to pass on my message. Can you do it in this lifetime please?"

Sunggyu closed his eyes and groaned inwardly before the next 'joke' came out of Myungsoo's mouth. 

"Ha! Kidding! I'm already dead." 

He'd heard it a thousand times before. It really wasn't that funny. 

"But he isn't." Sunggyu said, pointing out the flaw in his 'joke', as always. 

"Right. So you better do it while he's alive."

Sunggyu turned to look at Woohyun again just when the younger dropped his head to the table, evidently drunk already. Dongwoo rubbed his back and asked him if he could take him home before he passed out, and Hoya slammed his laptop shut, visibly startling the eldest of the three.

While all that went on, Myungsoo laughed maniacally beside Sunggyu. 

"I'll do it tomorrow then." Sunggyu stated quietly, causing Myungsoo's laughter to disappear in a second. "Maybe."

"What do you mean maybe? You're doing it. Tomorrow. 8PM. That's when Woohyun usually shows up here." 

I know, Sunggyu wanted to let out again but bit it back at the last second.

"All right."

While Sunggyu agreed that Woohyun did deserve a good scare, he didn't believe this was the way to do it. Even so, he was bored and it had been years since he last had some fun around the small town, so in the end he decided to do exactly as Myungsoo ordered him to.

The next evening at precisely 8PM, Sunggyu sat there waiting at the same spot he was sitting the night before when Woohyun walked in and took an immediate notice of him. Myungsoo commented again that he was a lot quicker than he thought. Unsurprising to Sunggyu, Woohyun then approached him to take a seat at the stool next to him, a devious grin on his lips as expected. 

"Can I buy you a drink?" 

"Sure, it's not like I don't already have a drink in my hand." Sunggyu nodded his head at the glass of whiskey in front of him while Myungsoo cussed him out for not trying hard enough to seduce Woohyun. 

"I'll buy you the next one then." Woohyun said, unaffected by Sunggyu's cold demeanor. 

"All right. Kim Sunggyu. You're something else." Myungsoo let out, sounding amused.

The next scenario played out exactly how Myungsoo had described it a couple of minutes prior to Woohyun's entrance to the bar – Woohyun found out his name, and told him he was really cute, and before he knew it, Sunggyu could feel Woohyun's hand on his lower back caressing him.

He wanted badly to shrug the unwanted hand away. It was extremely uncomfortable for Sunggyu because he hadn't been touched like that by anyone in a long time, and to let a guy like this do it filled him with nausea. 

It wasn't as amusing to Sunggyu as it was for Myungsoo — whose deranged laughter along with cheers of 'here it comes!' drowned out all thoughts in his head — when Woohyun hooked his index finger under Sunggyu's jawline and lifted his face up towards him. And Sunggyu hated himself for letting his lips be kissed by Woohyun's.

At least he's gentle, Sunggyu considered briefly. But before long, Woohyun deepened the kiss, exploring his mouth more hungrily. It was then that Sunggyu decided to cut this short and pull away by pretending to be out of breath. 

Sunggyu let out a soft chuckle that sounded at least twenty times more amused than he actually felt about it.

"I've got to go, Woohyun." 

"Will I see you again tomorrow?" the younger asked, his hand circling Sunggyu's waist.

No matter how much Sunggyu wanted to refuse this — and that's at any cost, really — Myungsoo told him he must meet Woohyun the next day too, since telling him about Myungsoo now wouldn't be as fun as it could be tomorrow.

He also threatened to never leave Sunggyu alone if he said No. 

"Yes. Sure. I won't be staying in this town for long though. I'm leaving tomorrow night."

"Then lets meet here early morning. I'd like to get to know you better."

Myungsoo laughed at this. "Translation. He wants to get to know what's underneath your clothes better." He slapped his hand onto Sunggyu's shoulder, intending to give it a less than gentle squeeze but his hand flew right through him, bewildering him for just a second before he remembered to remind him, "And you are going to show him, so you better say Yes."

As much as Sunggyu hated to be bossed around by a fledgling ghost, he was starting to become entertained by it. Myungsoo was clueless. The fact that he thought he was superior to Sunggyu just because he was able to directly annoy him — only him, which really wasn't all that that impressive — wass what ultimately made Sunggyu decide to take on the annoying task of playing Woohyun.

It was entertaining, but he'd think of a way to punish Myungsoo for taking him for a fool some other time when this got old, and it was bound to get old soon enough. 

"All right then. Tomorrow morning at eight?" 

"Perfect. I'll see you then, cutie." Woohyun gave him another kiss before letting him out of his arms.

Sunggyu half expected Woohyun to try and grab his hand to lead him into his bedroom the moment he saw him the following morning, but the younger managed to take him by surprise with his much less touchy-feely self than what he was met with last night. In fact, there was zero unnecessary physical contact for at least half an hour.

Woohyun just smiled a cheesy smile at him as he greeted him good morning, his hair a bit of a mess, like he'd just showered and left the house without drying it properly. 

"So... Is it your first time in this town?" he asked, "Want me to show you around?"

For a second, Sunggyu couldn't help but wonder if he might have judged Woohyun a little too harshly prior to any real encounters with him. Still, the very first impression Woohyun gave him was a pretty ty one. There was no changing that.