Chapter 3

Leap of Faith

First Impression


"Jongin, Jongin." A low, but urgent voice caused the tan male to awaken. Only when he opened his eyes was he aware that Chanyeol was in his room, shaking him. Jongin let out an annoyed groan, shrugging the hands off of his shoulders as he shifted his position on the bed. His back now faced Chanyeol, the unwanted intruder of his dreams.

"Jongin, get up. You need to come to school today." Chanyeol spoke once again. He refused to give up even after Jongin tried to brush him off. He told Namjoo that she'd meet Jongin today, and therefore, he was trying to wake up the sleepy male.
"I don't want to." Jongin muttered as he pulled the blanket up and over his head. For extra measures, he hid his face beneath the pillow, attempting to drown Chanyeol's voice out. It was peaceful for a moment, and Jongin was sure that Chanyeol had given up on waking him. He was about to drift back to sleep with a smile on his face when-
"Jongin, I said wake up!" The loud voice of his best friend made it's way into his ears once more. He felt his blanket being forcefully pulled off of him. The loss of warmth made the sleepy male frown. "You're not my mother!" Jongin muttered beneath his breath, but willed himself to get out of bed anyways. Chanyeol only lightly thumped him on the head with his palm.
"Stop that," The younger groaned in irritation, his feet were now on full contact with the carpeted floor, soft like his bed. He could just sleep on it... Slowly, he eased himself down, ignoring the amused look on Chanyeol's face as he now lie fully on the floor.
"What... Are you doing?" Chanyeol huffed, running a hand through his hair. What crap was Jongin giving him? He didn't think he would be this uncooperative! Maybe... He should just give up— Tell Namjoo that Jongin was still super sick. But Namjoo's dejected face, oh— Chanyeol could already imagine it.
"I'm going to sleep here." Chanyeol could hear his friend say from below. With that said, he watched as Jongin swiftly pulled at the blanked that was hanging off the bed, rolled himself into a blanket burrito, and then gracefully squirmed beneath the piece of furniture. Chanyeol stared at the spot on the carpet for a long time, wondering if the guy was being serious. Considering the fact that he never came back out, he decided he was.
"God, Jongin," Chanyeol muttered beneath his breath as he pulled his sleeves up. He squatted down next to the bed and grabbed a hold of what seemed to be Jongin's feet. A low grunt emitted from parted lips as he tugged the younger out into the open.
"You're really not going to give up are you?" Jongin said with a glare, earning a nod from Chanyeol. "Fine, whatever. I'll go and get ready now." He said, taking his shirt off and tossing it into his clothing hamper. He picked up the shirt part of his uniform before waving his hands in a shooing motion. "Go wait outside."
Chanyeol smiled in victory, "Finally!" He cheered, pumping his fist into the air happily. He exited Jongin's room, but before shutting the door behind him, he reminded the younger that he'd knock obnoxiously loudly if he took too long to get ready. Kai only muttered a "whatever" in return.
----
"So, want to tell me why I'm being forced to go to school?" Jongin asked, hands in his pockets as he continued walking along the cement sidewalk with Chanyeol by his side. He turned his head slightly to look at his friend who had a sheepish grin plastered on his face. Jongin raised a brow, waiting for an answer.
"Because I told Namjoo that she could be a part of our friend group." He told, his grin growing wider and turning much goofier looking after he had mentioned the female's name. When Jongin just squinted at him and gave him his 'so-what' face, Chanyeol continued. "And I told her that she'd meet all of the members today. Lucky you, you're one of them."
"Oh," Jongin said in acknowledgement to the explanation. If that was the case, He really didn't think Namjoo had to meet him though. They were already close friends anyways. "She doesn't need to meet me. We're already well acquainted." Jongin spoke his thoughts aloud.
"Yeah, but it's different. You'll no longer be acquaintances— You'll be friends. Close friends. Buddy-buddy." Chanyeol would have continued going on with listing all the different synonyms, had Jongin not shushed him.
"Alright, I get." The tan male said, emphasizing the last two words in the sentence. He really didn't need Chanyeol to list all of the different words for 'friend', for it only made him feel as if he lacked the knowledge required to understand the context of the statement.
"Just making sure." Chanyeol said, flashing his oh-so-famous smile.
The duo didn't say much the rest of the walk.
---
Namjoo looked around, fidgeting with the hem of her skirt. The anxiety continued to grow inside of her every minute she spent waiting for Chanyeol. Doubts were the only things that filled her mind as she thought of all the possible worst case scenarios that could happen when she met the rest of the group. What if they didn't want anything to do with her? What if when she was finally introduced to them she gave them a bad impression?
She furrowed her brows, pressed her lips into a thin line, and took a glance around the school campus once more to see if she'd see the jolly giant Chanyeol making his way over to her. Unfortunately there was no sight of him. She let out a dejected sigh as she let go of her skirt, reaching a hand up to ruffle her own hair.
Her arm was up midway when someone gripped her hand, causing her to stop the action. Her eyes looked at the hand that held her own before her gaze drifted to the owner— who was no other than Chanyeol.
"Sorry I took so long." He apologized letting go of her hand. "But I'm here now, and I'm glad I came on time to stop you from ruining your hair."
He flashed a toothy grin at her before shoving his hands in his pockets, and walking a few steps ahead. He stopped a few steps away and turned his head to the side, speaking over his shoulder. "Time to meet some friends. Follow me."
---
'My name is Namjoo.' 'Hey, Namjoo here.' 'Ayo, what's up? Namjoo at your service.' The female rehearsed the variety of ways she could introduce herself as Chanyeol lead her towards Jongin and Hayoung. With every step of the way, the words became scattered and transformed into utter nonsense. Her feelings of apprehension made her forget everything she had wanted to say. Therefore, by the time she had finally reached the duo and was standing before them, "Ayo, service. Namjoo's up. What's here?" was the introduction that toppled out of .
Immediately after the words came out of , a horrified look spread across Namjoo's face. Did she really just say that? Oh, God. Hayoung and Jongin would totally think she was a weirdo. 
She reached her hand up to cover , not wanting to believe the reality. Her eyes darted towards Chanyeol who stared back at her with a quizzical expression. He mouthed the words, "What the hell does that mean?" But Namjoo herself didn't know the answer either, and she only offered a shrug of her shoulders in response. Mustering up what little courage she had left, she turned her head to observe the reactions of both Jongin and Hayoung.
Jongin had his lips pressed together in an awkward smile, clearly trying to suppress his laughter. While Hayoung on the other hand, squinted at her, arms crossed in front of her chest, clearly unamused. Namjoo shamefully lowered her head down in embarrassment, all the while, wishing she could just go 'poof' and disappear.
"Ahem," Chanyeol cleared his throat, trying to push away the awkward aura. He patted Namjoo's back gently, before leaving his hand there. "Why don't we try this again?"
Namjoo's head immediately rose up and she turned to look at him. "Are you crazy?!" She whispered furiously. "I at introducing myself!"
"Calm down, you'll do fine." Chanyeol simply answered. Namjoo, however, continued to argue. "Can't you just introduce me yourself?"
"No way, it's your name." Chanyeol refused.
Namjoo only stared at him with a slight pout, as he mouthed the words, 'You'll do fine.' He gave her shoulder a squeeze of reassurance, and Namjoo sulkily turned her attention back to Jongin and Hayoung once more.
"Hey guys." She started, "Umm..." She paused for a moment so that she could raise her hands up. She began to wiggle her fingers, "You will forget everything I said before. You will forget everything--" 
She didn't get very far with her attempt of brainwashing, for Chanyeol gripped her arm and turned her body to face him. Namjoo stared at him in confusion, unable to process what he was trying to do until he flicked her forehead.
"Owwie," Namjoo groaned. She listened as Chanyeol scolded her to stop making a fool of herself and commanded her to introduce herself normally.
"Okay, okay." She muttered, "Gosh!" Looking towards the two friends who had been watching her argue with Chanyeol, she finally put on a smile. "Sorry about that. My name is Namjoo." She said, pushing a strand of her hair behind her ear.
Hayoung stared at Namjoo with a raised brow, letting out a quiet scoff, which Namjoo failed to notice... Honestly, Namjoo's impression on her wasn't all that great at the moment. She seemed much too childish to become a part of the group of friends. What was up with Namjoo trying to use this "magic"? To have Namjoo in the group.... Would it be similar to babysitting? Hayoung just felt that Namjoo would be an oddball.
"See? I told you that you would do fine." Hayoung listened to Chanyeol say as he applauded for Namjoo. Namjoo only punched his arm lightly in embarrassment.
"You're so cute when you get flustered."
Hayoung let out a snort after witnessing the sight before her, causing all the attention to be directed towards her. "Alright, alright, you sappy little love birds. Enough of this flirting-"
And before she could even finish speaking, she was interrupted. "We're not lovebirds!" The denial came from Chanyeol and Namjoo who both had flushed cheeks. Hayoung watched as they stole a glance at each other before immediately avoiding eye contact.
Hayoung turned to Jongin, their eyes locking as they mouthed the words "They're such liars" in unison.
"Besides," Namjoo started, causing the duo to turn and look at her. "I want to stay single forever." She spoke, adding extra emphasis to the last word.
A/N: I apologize for such a late update. I just started my first year of high school, and I just found out that my mom is pregnant. Having said that, I have a lot of homework to attend to as well as a lot of chores (in order to prepare for the coming of the baby).
Honestly, I've been meaning to make this chapter longer, but I decided not to. Sehun was originally supposed to make an appearance, but I decided to push his appearance in the story to the next chapter. I suppose that's a good thing though, for now you'll be quite eager for my next update. heh. >:) Oh, and please do leave feedback. It helps me improve.