FOOTSTEPS PART 2 (END)

Reality (TwinklingStarlight)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“You’re a mermaid.”

Eun Ha words echoes in my head like it was an enchantment, or a prayer. What in the world? How can I be a mermaid?

“Are you serious?” I look at Eun Ha across me who have been stared at me for a while. She sighs, “Is this looks like a right time for a joke?”

“B-but, I don’t have a tail!” I stammer the obvious fact. For a second time, Eun Ha sighs again, “It’s a long story, boy.” I stare at her and then she said, “But guess what, we have time for a long story.”

“Soo Hyun, or what you called her, Nanny Rose, had told me about your dream.” She begins, and it is my first time to actually know Nanny Rose’s real name. A sad feeling pangs in my heart, am I even know the real her? “And I guess you need to go back to the ocean.”

“I won’t unless you tell me the whole story.” I said, “-and if that make sense to me.”

“Tomy, Rose and I were from the ocean. We are friends, a close one, and we have two other members in our group. And that two people are your parents.” She pauses for a while, looking at my reaction but my face is blank. The new information surges into my head like an electric.

“In the ocean, we are different. We have magic, we have power. I used to have it; same goes to Tomy and Rose. Your parents have it too. Your mom has a special ability, and it’s a thing called “Cure Scale.”And I bet you inherited from her?” I suddenly remember the dream, that one dream where I saw my reflection from the water, and that one dream where I saw Taekwoon. 

“You must have it, you are the only child they got.” Eun Ha continues. “Because of that special ability, many people come to your mom to get the Cure Scale. It was really affective to any wounds or sickness.”

“It was?”

“Yeah, it was. It started to become less affective. You know, mermaid can’t run from hatred and evilness. It’s like a wind, it comes wherever it wants and goes as it pleases, the sickness, the poison, or what they called it “The Weed”.” Eun Ha pauses, and then continues softly, “and the poisonous sickness came from your mom’s sister.”

I stare at her in disbelief. The news about my actual aunty is one thing, but the sickness bothers me the most. The Weed? As in seaweed or what?  As if she hears my thought, she said, “Yes, The Weed as in seaweed. The poisonous sickness comes from them. I have seen it once, and it was really…horrible. I have never saw something like that, I have never imagined once in my life that it will come in the ocean, and even affected us-the mermaid.”

My curiosity eats me up, “Tell me more, tell me about the sickness.”

 “I don’t really know, I only have seen it once. I was on my way to Tomy’s when a mermaid swam below me, playing with the coral, or picked them up, I don’t know. But then she accidentally touch a bunch of seaweed around the coral, and suddenly the seaweed grab her hands and tail, she screamed for a second but stop abruptly like someone have turn off a radio. But the thing that bugged me the most at that time was she became normal. Like nothing had happened, like the seaweed never grabbed her, and she swam away from the coral and the last thing I saw before I swam away is that her tail turned green. Later, I learned that it was The Weed, and it will give effects for the brain. I didn’t learn much about the sickness, because before I knew it myself, Tomy and Rose brought me to the land.” Eun Ha sighs softly before she said, “It doesn’t make sense to you right? But it’s the truth.”

It does not make sense to me. It is so weird that I barely believe the words Eun Ha said. But I know, a part deep in me still does. “Then why am I here?” I asked, she smiles faintly before continuing her story.

“Your mother asked us to bring you to land. She said the ocean isn’t safe to you, and I believe her decision was right. It is not safe, lucky enough your evil aunty doesn’t know about your existence, but the incident that happened at your house make me think different. Maybe she has figured it out somehow, or maybe she doesn’t. Maybe it’s just some hungry thief. We brought you to the land when you were a baby, a little baby who knows nothing.” Eun Ha stops for a while, letting the silence grow further between us.  I have a hard time to progress what I have been told, it makes no sense at all but I know I have no choice but to believe.

***

Eun Ha told me to rest and sleep, while she went out to look around at the island. It was hard for me to sleep. I keep my eyes open, thinking and replaying what had happened today. But a voice in my mind whispers that I should take at least a nap, it had been a long day. Later, the darkness welcomes me in a slumber sleep. It is indeed had been a long day for me.

 

I woke up by the sound of someone calling my name; it was Eunha’s. “Wake up Hakyeon-ah, you need to eat something.” I open my eyes to see darkness around us in the little house. Had I been sleeping till night? I had no idea. I sit up and leans against the wall, said nothing as Eun Ha gives me the bananas and grapes. I eat silently before Eun Ha breaks the walls. “We will go into the ocean tomorrow.” She said.

“But I can’t swim.”

“Oh boy, you do can.” I can sense a smile in her voice.

“But why we need to go into the ocean?”

“Didn’t I tell you that you have a special ability as your mom? The ocean needs you, the mermaid community needs you, and Taekwoon need you too.”

I shiver up when Eun Ha mentioned the name that had been bothered me for days. “You know Taekwoon?” I asked dumbly. “Oh, I do know him. He’s your-so-called-destiny.”

“My what?” My eyes widened although I know for sure Eun Ha wouldn’t see it.

“Your destiny, your partner in life, your forever soul mate.” She said and then giggles.

“Are you being serious right now?” My question is like a cue for her to laugh. I stare helplessly at her, the moon outside helps me to see the smile on her face. “I am serious, don’t you dreamt about him?” She asks.

This takes me by surprise, how does she know? “H-how?”

“Don’t mind me boy, I know. Remember I said every mermaid have a special ability?” She smirks.

I gasp, “Don’t tell me you can read my mind?” She laughs again. “No, I don’t. I am a ‘love fairy’. I can tell who your partner is.”

“Are you serious?” I stare bewildered.

“I am, I used to be a good ‘fortune love teller.’” She said.

“This is nonsense.” I said out loud and she chuckles.

“But seriously, you did dream about Taekwoon don’t you?”

“I..i did.” I admit to her, well there’s no use for me to lie. She smile before asking what I had dreamt about Taekwoon, and I tell her all about it. There’s nothing much actually, all I remember is Taekwoon asking me to come to the ocean. After hearing my stories, Eun Ha says, “We will go into the ocean first thing in the morning tomorrow, and we will find that Taekwoon boy.”

 

**

Morning comes with the sound of the birds chirping and the rustle of leaves in the island. Eun Ha made me eat some fruits before we climb down from the house. Now that I’m finally back with my sense, I look around my surroundings and truthfully said the island looks normal to me. It’s so normal that it gives me a chill. Before I can investigate more about the island, Eun Ha grabs my hand and lead me to wherever it is.

She seems familiar with the island as she walks past the hanging leaves, pushes some leaves that blocking our way. We walk for 10 minutes or so until I can hear the waves. Eun Ha pushes the last leaves and the sudden light make me shut my eyes for a second. She pulls me towards the light and I can feel the soft sand under my feet, that’s when I notice I don’t wear the sandals. Well, not that I mind with barefoot though. When I open my eyes, the sight in front of me was so stunning that I gasped. Eun Ha chuckles and said, “It’s beautiful, right?”

“It is.” I say. In front of me, lay the blue ocean with no end that I can see. The soft waves crash on the sand, taking whatever on it into the sea. The light from the sun makes the ocean looks dazzling, like someone had sprinkles glitter on it. And what bother me the most is the feeling that I want to dive into it.

“Well, let’s go.” Eun Ha said, dragging me to the ocean. I snap out from my little thoughts, “W-wait!” She stops and looks at me, raising her eyebrow.

“What?”

“I-I’m..” I stammer, searching for right words. Eun Ha chuckles and said, “Are you afraid, little boy?” Oh well, I am afraid. Who doesn’t anyway?

Eun Ha smiles softly, “its okay, Hakyeon-ah. You will be fine.” I look at her, blinking my eyes, she smiles and nods.

“Gahh, fine!” I said, giving up. Whatever happen, happens, I thought.

Eun Ha pulls me towards the ocean, and I can feel the soft waves hitting my feet softly, as in saying that it’s going to be okay, that I shouldn’t be afraid.  I can see that we are going deeper into the sea, the water is already on my waist but nothing happens yet. I shut my eyes closed tightly when I see that Eun Ha already dives in, and the water already above my head.

I hold my breath, still closing my eyes. My hand grip on Eun Ha’s hand tightly but she loosens it up, I start to panic. What is this, what is happening? I search for her hand but what comes is only the water. I start to struggle; I’m on the edge of losing my breath.

Suddenly, I hear a voice in a distance. The voice seems so far ahead but also seems so close. The voice is shouting my name. “Hakyeon-ah!” I snap my eyes open; at first it was so dark that I close my eyes again. But then I open it up and blink twice. I can clearly see Eun Ha in front of me, her hair in a tight bun, a coral pin –I assume- on her head. A coral tattoo, just like I saw in my dream, on her forehead, and her tail…oh gosh. Tail! I immediately look at my legs, or where it supposes to be. The legs are gone and had been replace with a pair of tail. A blue like green one, just like my eyes. The scale, wrap around my bottom until my leg. I am so fascinate about it that I forget about my surrounding. I touch the tail; MY tail and the feeling of the scale beneath my fingers shiver me up.

“Breathe, Hakyeon-ah.” Eun Ha says, chuckling. I look at her dumbfounded and she nods. I inhale the air and exhale it out softly. Oh wow, I’m breathing. Under the sea, this couldn’t be any weirder. It’s was like, there’s an air here, like the water doesn’t exist. But I’m pretty sure that we are under the ocean.

“You can also talk.” She said.

“I do?” I ask dumbly. Oh well, I can talk. I can freaking talk. What in the world? Eun Ha laughs and says, “Yeah, you already did it.”

I blink at her and look down again at my tail. I still couldn’t grasped the situation yet but then she said, “We need to find Taek—“ She stops halfway and I immediately look at her, feeling uneasy but the uneasiness swept away as she smiles. “Well, guess we won’t find any trouble to search him.” I blink at her confusedly but she just smile and look far behind me. I turn around and see a shadow figure a few miles from us. I don’t know why but my heart is beating so fast.

A few seconds past before the figure come close to us and before I can react, the figure engulfs me into a hug. The body is so warm despite that we are in the ocean. I can feel the smooth skin, the broad shoulder and the familiar warmth. “Hakyeon-ah.” The figure whisper softly into my ears and it shudder me up.

Coming back to my sense, I shove the figure away roughly. The shock and hurt expression that flash on the figure face hurt my heart a little.  “W-who are you?” I ask, ignoring the trembling in my voice. I know him. I already know him. But I don’t know what to say that I ask a stupid question.

The mermaid in front of me smiles softly and I can feel a heat rushing up to my cheeks, what the hell. “I’m Taekwoon, your soul mate.”

The last part make me cringe a bit, and as just Eun Ha feel me, she said, “That’s make me want to puke.” Hearing that, Taekwoon looks at her and pout, actually pout. “But it had been long since the last time I met him! I can’t help myself.” He said.

“Yeah, yeah. Whatever.” I can sense the rolling eyes. Taekwoon engulfs me into a hug again. The warmth is so soothing to me. I fidget nervously in his hug, but all he did is tighten the hug and caress my hair gently. “I miss you so much.” He says in a low voice that makes my heart clench. Slowly, I wrap my hand around his bottom and the feel of the scale shiver me up. Shock by my action, Taekwoon snuggles at the crook of my neck. I can feel him smiling.

“Can you guys stop that? I’m still here ya know.” Hearing that, I immediately shove Taekwoon away, gently this time. And the lost of his warmth disappointed me. I look away, not meeting Eun Ha’s eyes and I can hear her giggles. “Well now love birds, you can continue that later but now we have something important to do.”

Taekwoon nods at that and say, “The sickness is getting bad, with no cure to help, we can do nothing.”

“I can feel it; the ocean is not the same as before.” I look around us, and indeed I feel something wrong. “Can you bring us to the house?”

“Sure.” Taekwoon nods.

 

On our way to The House, Taekwoon holds my hand in his. It was awkward for me but at the same time it’s comforting, and safe. Like, if I had drowned down he is there to help me. As he leads the way and hold my hand, I can finally take a good view of him. His tail is big and looks strong, the color is green turquoise and it looks so beautiful on him. His body is in a good shape, broad shoulders and chest, thinking about that make me blush. What is this? What is this giddy feeling?

As if he hear my thought, he looks behind at me and smile softy, tightened his grip on my hand. Now I am blushing.

A few miles ahead, I can see the seaweed under us. Flipping around gently, it looks harmless to me. “Be careful with them.” Taekwoon says, pulls me closer against him. A securing hand wraps around my waist, and again, I’m blushing. We swim away from the seaweed. I don’t know how I did it, -the swimming- but I did. It’s like it was a natural thing to me. I look down to see my tail, I can’t see my legs, but I know it’s there, inside the tail.

We swim for about 30 minutes, or so I thought. Taekwoon leads us down deeper in the sea, still holding my hand. The House turns out to be what it seems to me like a shelter. It doesn’t really look fancy, but it big. Corals were surrounding the house like a gate. The wall is made from the ocean soil, or so I think. I don’t know I have no idea how they made this and what they use but it seems strong enough like a real house.

Taekwoon pushes the door,-it was made by long leaves, seems like banana leaves or something else. Eun Ha and I enters the house, it was dark inside, but not really dark because I still can see what waiting for us inside. Two mermaids, a man and a woman are inside the house. Smiling as soon as they see me. I look at them blankly.

“It had been long, Eun Ha.” The woman says, and the voice is so familiar to me. Then it snaps inside my head. The voice is the same voice that appears in my dream. I stare when Eun Ha and the woman hug briefly. “It is indeed had been a long time, Yoonmi-ah.”

“Good to see you again.” The man says, smile softly at Eun Ha. I stare at them blankly, Taekwoon squeeze my hand. I look at him and he says, “They are your parents.” I blink confusedly at him and turn to look at my parents.

“Aunty?” I look at Eun Ha and she nods, “They are, Hakyeon-ah.”

Tears are welling up in my eyes, and without thinking I lurch towards them and into their hug. Tears are already coming out from my eyes. My mom…and my dad. They are here. Alive, and breathing.

“We miss you so much, oh my son, my precious son.” My mom says and my hair softly.

“You had no idea how long we wait for you to come back.” Said my dad. I did nothing but hug them tightly and cry.

 

**

After the little reunion with my parents, I was so tired because of the crying. They make me went to my room, and rest. The room surprised me, there was a bed, an actual bed inside it. The bed was nothing like the bed on the land, but still, it’s a bed. I still can’t believe the situation that had happened. I am so happy and tired that I easily fall into a deep sleep.

Later, I found myself wakes up by the familiar warmth on my shoulder. I open my eyes to see Taekwoon smiling down at me. “Morning.” He said.

“It’s morning already?”

“No, it’s evening actually.” I scrunch up my face and he laughs. The laughs is so soothing to my ear that I actually smile.

“I miss you, you know.” He says.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t really know you.” Honestly, I really did not know him. Aside from the familiar warmth and his name, I don’t know him. He is a complete stranger.

“I know you. I have watched you since we are kids.” That’s surprised me. There are a lot of surprise thing today, I wonder what next.

“You watched me?” I ask dumbly.

“Ye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter