44

The Girl Who Can't Break Up and the Boy Who Can't Leave

What a lie.

The bright sun radiating through the silk curtains and echos of laughter that could be heard from the beach was enough to indicate that it was well past morning. And the empty hotel room was enough to indicate that Myungsoo definitely had not come in last night like he said he would.

He was already pushing my buttons when he ran off with Yeon but now, I was confused.. Even if Myungsoo meaninglessly said that he would home just to give me some hope to hold on to, I stayed up all night waiting for him to walk through that door. I practically laughed at myself for even having to go through this on a vacation. On "our" vacation.

So where was he? I didn't even want to know. The clock was one minute past one in the afternoon and I had not moved one limb from my bed after realizing that Myungsoo was still out doing God-knows-what.

I had tried to convince myself not to get worked over him not coming in. He was human, he probably drank and nodded off somewhere else. And if it were a regular day, I wouldn't have nearly cared as much. But the fact that he ran off with Yeon made me more suspicious than on those regular days. And that polaroid picture taunting me from the bottom of my suitcase wasn't really helping, either.

And today was our last day on the island.

I sighed, forcing myself to roll myself off of the bed and get ready for whatever lay ahead in the day. I had a sick feeling in my stomach that I decided to ignore and ended up packing my suitcase up since we were going to be leaving tonight anyway.

I was having an internal battle with myself, trying to decide whether I should go get lunch or wait for Myungsoo to come back. After thirty more minutes passed of just sitting on the hotel bed, I decided to just head out. I knew that if Myungsoo had fallen asleep because of his drinking, he wasn't going to wake up anytime soon anyway.

After eating half of a sandwich and feeding the other half to ducks in the hotel pond near the garden, I decided to call Myungsoo. I came to the conclusion that that was what a normal person would do in a situation like this.

I wasn't expecting him to pick up but after a couple of rings, the phone ticked, indicating that Myungsoo had picked up. But instead of his oh-so familiar voice, Yeon's voice filled my ear as she answered, "Hello?"

I narrowed my eyes. I wasn't even all that surprised. "Hi, this is Seohyun. Is Myungsoo there?" It was his phone.

"Um, he's taking a shower right now."

"He's what?" I muttered.

"I said he's taking a - wait, Myungsoo wants to talk to you." I heard scratching on the other side of the line accompanied by a brief discussion before Myungsoo's voice filled the speaker.

"Hello? Seo?"

I raised my eyebrows, scoffing over the phone.

So he's alive.

"Well hi there," I answered sarcastically. I wasn't mad. But I wanted him to think that I was. Here came the feelings of betrayal that I thought I would never feel again. Who was I kidding? As long as I was alive and as long as I was with Myungsoo, the feeling of betrayal was going to be inevitable. I was starting to believe that no matter what we did and no matter how hard we tried, we were just not going to end up together.

Myungsoo said that we wouldn't be like the rest- that we wouldn't separate like the rest; but here we were, falling apart again after so many countless trials. My trust for him was violently decreasing. I just wanted to give up. 

I practically heard Myungsoo getting more tense over the other line, "Oh God, um, listen, Seo. I'll be right there." He hung up the line quickly before I could spit back reasons as to why I would be perfectly reasonable if I decided to leave.

In a matter of minutes, Myungsoo came in after a click of the door, panting. It was evident he took a shower- his hair was still wet and his clothes were hastily put on. He could've just taken a shower back at our hotel room. Was it because he reeked of alcohol? He knew I hated the smell of alcohol.

"Listen, I'm so sorry," Myungsoo ran his hand through his wet hair.

"Save it," I glared. He walked over to me gently, grabbing a hold of my wrists and rubbing his thumbs on my hands, trying to get me to give in.

"Did you stay up waiting for me? I'm so sorry."

I looked up at his apologetic face and felt like crying and weeping in my own pit of self-pity and helplessness. It was like deja vu.

"Where were you?" I asked. I moved my arms out of his grip. His hand instinctively moved to grab me again, but Myungsoo drew it back in and took a deep sigh.

"Truthfully, I barely remember. I drank and then the next thing I know, I woke up in..." he took a pause, looking at me as if I was going to give him some sort of approval before he continued, "the alleyway. Yeon found me and she told me to take a shower because I smelled so bad and I didn't want to go home so filthy. And you know that I don't wake up early, baby."

"You woke up in an alleyway?" I rolled my eyes. We were in Jeju Island. Myungsoo was getting worse at lying. There wasn't even an alleyway nearby.

"Yes, I did. I only drank one glass, I'm sorry, I don't know what they put in that drink."

I sighed.

Myungsoo gave me a soft smile and rubbed my shoulders, "I have something special planned before we fly back, okay?"

I gave him a glare.

He grinned wider. Myungsoo knew that I wasn't mad. That's what I hated so much about him. He knew me so well- he had such an advantage when it came to lying and such.

And here I was again, putting that polaroid picture, and his lack of responsibility behind and forgiving him. For only the thousandth time.

"You know what?" Myungsoo asked.

"What?" I answered.

He looked satisfied that I was actually replying to him now and continued on happily. "I know you've always wanted to try that hot rocks thing and you're always complaining about not being able to paint your nails on your right hand so I got you this spa thing- well Yeonsoo did."

I felt irked at the sound of Yeonsoo's name but I just nodded.

"And the spa is a three hour treatment so by the time you're done, your surprise will be ready," Myungsoo said with a glint of triumph in his eye.

"Myungsoo, you didn't have to..."

"But I wanted to," he planted a kiss on my cheek before his forehead creased, "I'm really sorry about not coming in last night, though."

I shook my head, "It's alright."

"What an angel," Myungsoo murmured. He took my hand, "Come on, I'll take you down."

The spa treatment was right in the hotel in a fancy wooden building-thing. Myungsoo handed the front desk lady a ticket and I was ushered inside to a dark and quiet massage room. I was sort of upset that I was doing this alone but I guess I owed it to myself. But after a while, the door clicked open and I looked up from my comfort to see Yeon walking through the door and laying down on the massage table next to me.

"Hi, Seohyun," she greeted.

I nodded at her and plopped my face back down onto the table, groaning inwardly. I had gone a good two and a half hours forgetting about the whole incident but of course Yeon had to come marching in reminding me of all of the past events.

"I see Myungsoo gave you the ticket."

Oh, she's going to try to talk to me. I put a smile on my face, "Oh yeah, thank you for that by the way." I guess I didn't really have a reason to hate her other than the fact that she was so suspiciously close to my boyfriend. I didn't even hate her. I was indifferent about Yeon. I just had a hunch about her. Beause even though she was nice, at the same time, everything about her seemed so fake and plastic. She was just one of those people who had that aura.

That fox-like malicious aura.

"No, problem," she replied. There was a silence filled with the calming music of the massage place.

"Listen, I'm sorry about this morning and last night," Yeonsoo piped.

I opened my eyes. "It's fine," I replied politely.

"It's good to know that you two are so strong. I wasn't sure how well you'd take the whole incident."

I nodded, not really listening to her words. I didn't really care for what she had to say and heck, I was supposed to be relieving my stress through this massage, not rethinking the bad memories.

"We were just having fun so please, don't take it the wrong way- our act meant nothing," Yeon continued.

"W-what?" My previously calm self was suddenly snapped in half and all of my attention was on Yeon's words. Just having fun? Act meant nothing? I was pretty certain that she wasn't talking about finding Myungsoo drunk and hungover in an alleyway anymore.

"I'm sorry," she said abruptly, thinking she offended me in some way, "I didn't mean to intrude on your guys' relationship. I just wasn't sure how okay you two would be when Myungsoo told you that we, um... you know..."

I stared at her from my massage table, clueless.

"Did it," Yeon finally completed her sentence.

The new information hit me like a fiery bomb shot from a cannon going at 200 miles an hour. I was confused. Myungsoo and Yeon did what? I stared at Yeonsoo for another good thirty seconds, giving her time to say that she was just joking or something. But she stared at me with that pretty face of hers, no flickering in her doll-like eyes.

I guess I was the stupid one for believing Myungsoo. Yeon's explanation made more sense than Myungsoo's explanation of falling asleep in an alleyway, anyway. As for Yeonsoo, I couldn't help but wonder if she was slow to understand situations or just naiive. She laid there on that massage bed, waiting for my response and not even noticing that what she just told me was something that I had never heard before.

Either way, I wasn't sure how to react. Should I play along with it or question her? First off, I wasn't even sure if I should even believe her. There are evil, evil people on this planet and Yeonsoo could just be a very smart, sly girl trying to break Myungsoo and I apart. But judging from her plain expression, she seemed like she was telling the truth.

And it scared me.

"Are you alright?" Yeon asked, sincerely. What a good question. Was I alright? I guess I didn't have any courage in me and Myungsoo's relationship afterall, because I wasn't showing any tears. Or maybe I had gotten so used to him cheating.

I guess I had a feeling that this would've happened sooner or later.

Who was I kidding? Some things just never change. I had such false hope. Myungsoo would always be a cheater and I would never be enough for him.

"Seohyun, I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to and Myungsoo definitely didn't mean to. He loves you and we were just playing around," she quickly added. I waved her apology off with a hand, dazed, and thought to myself what I was even doing here anymore. If I was to see Myungsoo one last time, I would probably shoot his head off.

Or even worse, feel that sick feeling of depression, sadness, and disappointment and start crying.

I held the white towel close to me and bowed, thanking the massusse and hastily waving a goodbye to a confused-looking Yeonsoo. She still wasn't grasping the situation. She was stupider than I thought.

I changed into my regular clothes and swiftly walked out of that wooden building, jabbing the elevator button and becoming jittery as the lift brought me to the hotel floor. Myungsoo was probably looking for me now. I rushed into the room and without thinking, dug into the leather suitcase for that polaroid picture. I stared at it one last time and practically spat on it before ripping it in half and throwing it onto the bed.

Picture's worth a thousand words.

I poured all of my toiletries into my suitcases and backpack, grabbing a couple hundred bucks from me and Myungsoo's money supply and getting back on the elevator. What was I doing? I was leaving. I was done with that bastard. He was a liar and a cheat and I didn't ever want to see his face again. Thinking about all the times I actually thought that we would end up together made me want to throw up. He wasn't going to make a fool of me again. Was I acting irrationally? No. Definitely not. I didn't even want his explanation.

He didn't deserve one. Previously, I stayed with the hope of loving each other. But I didn't even want that anymore. I despised him more than I had despised any human being ever. The way he held my hands this morning made me want to cut my hands off and all the sweet words I remember him saying made me want to bonk my head on the sidewalk so I could forget. Who was I kidding? Myungsoo and I? We could never be together.

That piece of doesn't even know the meaning of faith, let alone, love.

I walked through the hotel lobby to the back where all the taxis would be parked. I needed a taxi to get to the airport. When I got back to Seoul, I would grab my stuff and move out. When I said that I didn't want to see Myungsoo's face again, I meant it. I was satisfied with my plan. This way, we would never see each other ever again.

I took the shortcut above the hotel poolside. There was a bridge going over the most narrow part of the huge pool that would lead to the taxis. But something in particular caught my eye. It was Myungsoo. He was sitting down on a table set for two. There was dinner, candles, and rose petals shaped in a heart around the table.

There wasn't anyone else. Was this his surprise? I scoffed. He was probably trying to up to me so I wouldn't be mad.

There were trees shading the bridge so although I could see him, I was invisible to Myungsoo. My breath hitched in my throat. He was in a suit. And I couldn't deny that he looked incredibly handsome although I hated him with every fiber of my being.

I watched as he glanced at his clock. A few seconds later, a waitor came running up to Myungsoo.

"She's not anywhere. Her bags are gone," I heard him faintly.

They were talking about me. I let my eyes break from the scene. I should get going now. But what Myungsoo said next kept me listening.

"I don't believe you."

"Sir-"

"No. It can't be."

"I'm sorry. I know you wanted this proposal to be perfect."

My head snapped up. That's when I noticed the sparkly ring around the thin candle in the middle of the table. My hand found its way to my mouth as I gasped. So this was his surprise. Was this why he was so busy all the time? My tears started to flow down my cheeks. I didn't even know why I was crying. Because I was so regretful? Because I was happy? Surprised?

I wasn't sure. But the tears didn't stop. My heart hurt. I watched as the waitor left, leaving Myungsoo at the table alone. He let out an aggravated scream before he buried his head in his hands and started to cry.

I wanted to turn back time. Or rush to him and comfort him. Or something. But my feet stayed plastered to the ground.

He was going to ask me to marry him.

So there I stood, crying as I watched Myungsoo cry. I didn't know how long both of us spent crying there, but eventually, Myungsoo calmed down, blew out the candle, and left the two of us in darkness. I couldn't understand myself. But still yet, I took my luggage, and went the way I was going without looking back.

The taxi driver ignored my tear-stained cheeks when asking about the destination and I replied with a shaky, "The airport, please."

I wasn't sure who was right.

If Myungsoo was telling the truth or Yeon was telling the truth. But no matter who was lying and who was sincere, I didn't have the courage to carry out a beautiful relationship with Myungsoo. How many times have we gotten into arguments and misunderstandings? How many times had my heart been broken?

And even if I wanted to stay and rush down and say yes to Myungsoo, I still got into that plane and arrived in Seoul. I still moved out in a matter of hours and stayed in Howon's home before I could find myself a house.

Until the very end, me and Myungsoo's relationship was full of hardships. I don't know why we went through so much, but I respected him and I respected myself for holding onto each other for so long. But no matter how strong a person is, sometimes the situation is stronger. And we learn that love isn't always enough.

No matter what we do, fate will always win. As for Myungsoo and I, we had an amazing love. But in the end, no matter how much we fought, the two of us couldn't make it. Even if he was that one person in my life that I could look back and truthfully say that I loved with all my heart.

Separated- that was just the way Myungsoo and I were meant to be. And that was the way it was going to be.


 

 

 

 

 

omg one more chapter till it ends guys :O